Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where Is The Best Place To Live

Where Is The Best Place To Live

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:37 am
The Marriott's

kev9672jedi will become famous soon enough
Question Where Is The Best Place To Live

Hi everyone I know this question must have been asked a million times but where is the best place to live in Oz? My husband is an Electrician and we are just starting the emigration process.

We have two sons aged 8 and 5 and currently live in Newcastle. We like modern places/things and would like to live some where that has lots to do but not to expensive i.e Sydney.

We have been thinking of Perth but have friends in Adelaide and wonder if this would make a huge difference just knowing some in the area.

Any information would be great thanks Julie
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where Is The Best Place To Live

Originally Posted by kev9672jedi
Hi everyone I know this question must have been asked a million times but where is the best place to live in Oz? My husband is an Electrician and we are just starting the emigration process.

We have two sons aged 8 and 5 and currently live in Newcastle. We like modern places/things and would like to live some where that has lots to do but not to expensive i.e Sydney.

We have been thinking of Perth but have friends in Adelaide and wonder if this would make a huge difference just knowing some in the area.

It has been asked a couple of times and luckily someone not so long back did a definitive indisputable list which put Brisbane on top.

Unfortunate we only have water until 2010 so Adelaide is the way to go.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:06 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Hey!

Do you have a link to that list? or a search string or something?

Would make for a good read I'm sure

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

All the states and aussie citys are fantastic places but my favourite place is perth by far not too hot and sticky like queensland not too busy like melbourne and sydney but a bit more livly and better weather than adelaide. But thats my opinion everyone will tell you different! As i sid thy are all great places!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:56 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

im a sparky from washington and we live in cairns and weve got shit loads of water. 280mm this week. forget the south east corner. its f@#$d. no water.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:07 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is easily the best place to live! hee hee....

seriously though, this is a question I can't answer - I have only visited Cairns, Melbourne and Sydney, I know very little about actually living in these cities. As for Perth & Adelaide - I can't help either !

so you may be wondering why I'm bothering to reply...! read on:

Your best bet, (short of finding someone who has similar lifestyle requirements to yourself and has lived in several Oz cities) is to trawl through the old posts in this forum to get an idea of what people think are the good and bad points of each.

good luck !
Mark
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The best place to live? Here, where I live so you can't live here You may not like what I like anyway
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

We are aiming for Central Coast NSW.

We love Sydney, but couldn't afford to live in the nice parts/by the sea
Also wouldn't really want to live in an 'inner city' these days, with young kids.

Central Coast appears to have lots of amenities as there is one town/village after another in a reasonably compact area, but without the city crowds. But only 90 mins to Sydney itself (similar to how far we live from London now).

Also very near the bush, beaches and lakes

Gaz
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julie

I think your kids would like the Gold Coast.
You would probably get to know people through their school.

Best of luck
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

I was talking to my £10 pom (Perth) FIL the other day about Adelaide and he salgged it and mentioned something about hthem runing out of water in 10 years ???????
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:25 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Birmingham, England is quite nice!

Great Indian food, night life is good. It's central to all most every where. plenty of work. and it dose not get hot all the time.

You'll Love it!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:39 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Julie,as your husbands an Electrician,he'll get work anywhere.
As you have 2 young kids you should consider the Gold Coast.The beaches are stunning,your nearby all water and theme parks(Your kids will thank you for that alone)and theres so much to do.
Its such a beautiful place and outside of the 6 main cities,its the fastest growing area in the country.
Perth looks great and was an option for us but the cities isolation factor came into it.Brisbane/Gold Coast offers you easy access to Sydney(1 hour cheap flight) and Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:51 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twhurl
I was talking to my £10 pom (Perth) FIL the other day about Adelaide and he salgged it and mentioned something about hthem runing out of water in 10 years ???????
Has he ever been to Adelaide? A lot of those that slag off places have never been to them, so therefore have no firsthand knowledge. We live in Adelaide and love it here. Yes, there are water restrictions but that's part of living in Australia.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Has he ever been to Adelaide? A lot of those that slag off places have never been to them, so therefore have no firsthand knowledge. We live in Adelaide and love it here. Yes, there are water restrictions but that's part of living in Australia.

Well said

Also we are only on level 3 restrictions, unlike say Queensland that are on level 5
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It does make a difference knowing at least one person when you get here I think. It's all very strange at first, so just having someone to help with little things, like where to shop etc, is brilliant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.