Reload this Page >

Where is best to live

Where is best to live

Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

clairegary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where is best to live

Hi

I am considering moving to Australia and havent got a clue where to start!

I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what the nicest places are. And what the main differences are between Australia and England in general. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I am an accountant age 29 and my husband is a machine setter age 27. We have a ten year old son and a cat!

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is best to live

Originally Posted by clairegary
Hi

I am considering moving to Australia and havent got a clue where to start!

I wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what the nicest places are. And what the main differences are between Australia and England in general. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Nicest places? Depends on what you're looking for. Big city, regional centre, beaches, mountains, hot climate or temperate etc? Also consider cost of real estate and which centre might suit your career best (eg manufacturing - Melbourne, resources - Perth, finance - Sydney)

If you've never been to Australia - have you thought about a visit before deciding whether to uproot yourselves?

Also - look at http://www.immi.gov.au - no point getting excited about migrating if you've no chance to qualify.

Jeremy
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

happylad will become famous soon enoughhappylad will become famous soon enough

Australia is a such a massive place, with such a diverse range of places to live. Well worth a visit for a few months before making the decision on choosing somewhere to live/settle...!!!
Good luck.
D
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jeremy

I have researched into getting a skilled visa and score 135 points.

I am just starting to look into it and im interested in peoples views on where to live and what the different places have to offer.

I also wondered what the main differences are between Australia and England such as laws, taxes and insurances, cost of living and job prospects for an accountant and a machine setter.

claire
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeremy

I have researched into getting a skilled visa and score 135 points.
Assuming you have counted skill points for being an accountant, make sure you understand the rules of the accounting skill assessing authorities. Visit their websites.

I also wondered what the main differences are between Australia and England such as laws, taxes and insurances, cost of living and job prospects for an accountant and a machine setter.

claire
In very general terms:

- Australia is a federation with distinct states and territories.
Its system of government is a cross between the UK and US.

- Tax. Income tax is higher, other taxes (incl National Insurance) are lower.

- Cost of living. Somewhat lower than the UK on average, but salaries are also somewhwat lower on average.

- Job prospects for accountants and tradesmen are generally good but a lot depends on your specific skills.

Australia is a very diverse country. Climate, cost of living and job opportunities are not the same in the different state capitals and regional areas. Even Sydney and Melbourne are very different.

Start browsing through some of the links on this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269083
(don't expect to absorb it all in a day)

Jeremy
Old Mar 27th 2005, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jeremy

I am ACCA qualified and also have a degree in law. Im not sure if this would have any bearing on my score?

What are the main difference between the different states? I not looking to move for a while but want to start researching things in general and start narrowing down the places I would like to visit.

Is such a big massive step im not sure where to start!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Correction JAJ, White collar workers earn a hell of a lot less in Aussie, Blue collar workers quite a bit more than their counterparts in England. More of a level playing feild in the wage equation here.

Somewhere in one of my posts I posted the average wage in both countries, and the difference came out to within less than 1,000 pounds over the year, From Memory I think the average wage in England was 21,500 pounds or their abouts and over here 51,500 Aud.

Besides this, I've now got a sneaking suspicion, that those on above average wages, could find life slightly easier/more rewarding in England, in as much, as things like child benefit cuts out so early here, There is more choice on material goods and any other disposable income, possibly. I'll be looking at this very carefully when I take my holiday there soon.

IE: Why has/have my cousin/s Got places in spain, Bars in their houses, go to europe at a drop of a hat, latest cars, latest electricals, seem to go out more, Is it just that they had kids earlier in life ? Trouble is I dont think I can do anything about it at my age, so the exercise may be pointless. lol !
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:04 am
JAJ
Retired

Hi Jeremy

I am ACCA qualified and also have a degree in law. Im not sure if this would have any bearing on my score?

What are the main difference between the different states? I not looking to move for a while but want to start researching things in general and start narrowing down the places I would like to visit.

Is such a big massive step im not sure where to start!
Being ACCA qualified means you have a good chance of a skill assessment as an accountant. Look at their websites (the skill assessing authority websites) and take it from there. For DIMIA you will still need to show your work experience is at a professional level and not as a book-keeper.

If you really want to move, don't waste time as you never know when a rule change may catch you out. If you don't apply to DIMIA before you're 30 you'll lose points.

Otherwise your questions are way too general - you need to do your own research and lots of it. Try your local library as it may have books on Australia which you should read.

Jeremy
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:16 am
ABCDiamond

A good place to look for jobs and an idea of wages is www.seek.com.au

Some current examples in Brisbane are:

Senior Accountant - Brisbane
Australian aircraft carrier,Location: Near Brisbane Airport, Maternity leave contract - start ASAP, Salary: $50 - $55K, varied work!!!

Senior Accountant - Brisbane
Multi-National… Outer Southern Suburbs… To $80K plus Benefits!!.. Career Opportunity!!

Finance and Admin Manager - Brisbane
CBD law firm, corporate offices - Large, thriving legal practice, career path, $70 - $80K + super.

Financial Accountant - Brisbane
This is a significant opportunity for a career focused accountant within a highly customer focused organisation. Circa $80k pkge

Accounts Payable. - Brisbane
Friendly professional environment. Inner West Side. Accounts Assistant required $30,000. .

Accounts Payable Clerk - Brisbane
Indooroopilly. Large org. Parking. Accounts Payable + ad hoc accounts, reconciliations and expenses = Variety +. to $40K + super

Super consists of a compulsory payment by the employer of 9% on top of Salary into a super fund.

Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:21 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

...and job prospects for an accountant and a machine setter.

claire
This link might help but bear in mind it is Australia wide so you will need to do some more research once you've settled on a specific area. Might be a useful starting point for you though.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/d...e=2&TextOnly=0