Where to begin

Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:27 am
Just Joined

nickashby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to begin

Hi

I am currently looking into moving abroad to live and work. I am very keen on Australia and have had a brief look at jobs available. I work in Customer Service and would ideally need to have a job sorted out before I go there.
There is obviously so much to sort out and I have absolutely no idea on what visas I need or where to start. I am 24 and have no property to worry about here just need to give a months notice at work. Could anyone please offer any help or advice on where I could possibly start.

Thanks

Nick
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to begin

Originally Posted by nickashby
Hi

I am currently looking into moving abroad to live and work. I am very keen on Australia and have had a brief look at jobs available. I work in Customer Service and would ideally need to have a job sorted out before I go there.
There is obviously so much to sort out and I have absolutely no idea on what visas I need or where to start. I am 24 and have no property to worry about here just need to give a months notice at work. Could anyone please offer any help or advice on where I could possibly start.

Thanks

Nick
Hi Nick

I'm not sure if this advice is any good - I'm not an expert and my husband and I have a different situation to yours.

I work in an office and my husband is a bricklayer. Australia wont really accept me as office workers arent on their priority occupation list - therefore I am going on my husband's visa.

You could try getting a job from here via the internet (however I have tried - and it is difficult) - I have a visa - and I'm struggling, hence I'll wait until I arrive in Perth.

Perhaps someone could back me on this - however if I was you I would apply for a 1 year visa - and go over there, and try to look for opportunities once you are there. From what I can gather some employers will then sort the visa out for you.

I think you are allowed to work if you have a 1 year visa, but an employer would have to extend this for you so that you can stay longer in the country.

Hope this helps!

Laura
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Nick
Nick

You need to check eligibility. Do this here: http://www.immi.gov.au/

You need to have a skill in demand in Australia, or be married to someone with a skill of this kind. There are many options for immigration into Australia, you are a good age and naturally have good English, so why not check out if you are eligible at the above link.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Nick

When you say you work in Customer Service, what exactly do you do? Customer Service in itself won't be enough in itself to migrate to Australia I'm afraid. (if it did I'd have been here years ago )

One possibility would be to come on a years Working Holiday Visa (WHV), you can work for any one employer for 6 months on that visa. You won't get a job before you come though, that's pretty hard when you've got a permanent visa!

Another may be to come on a student visa. Study something 'in demand' then go for a migration visa when you are eligible.

Or you could put together a plan for the future, speak to a migration agent and read the DIAC site (www.immi.gov.au) to see what you can come up with. This route could take a few years though.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

nickashby is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice so far.

My current role is a customer service team leader for an online retailer.
There are so many things that you can and can't go its all a bit confusing. So would the best route be to get the Working Holiday Visa and just book a flight over there and then try and get a job when I get there?
From what other people I have spoken to have said it sounds like there are a lot of customer service jobs over there. Is this true?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many things that you can and can't go its all a bit confusing. So would the best route be to get the Working Holiday Visa and just book a flight over there and then try and get a job when I get there?
From what other people I have spoken to have said it sounds like there are a lot of customer service jobs over there. Is this true?
If you want more technical advice, I would recommend you go into the Immigration Forum on this site and ask in there. There are some pros who often answer questions in that forum.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

There's a fair few in Adelaide, can't speak for the rest of Australia though.

I know there is always a lot for call centre staff. They advertise a basic wage of $700 per week plus bonuses.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Mouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really nice

Hi, Whenever I have rang any customer services depts in Oz the call gets put through to India, Have you ever thought of going there Ha! ha! I'm sure you will be in high demand..

I would get a working holiday visa in your position and then get a job when you come over. Good luck with it all, I think you can even extend your visa to 2 years if you do some fruit picking!! I think that would be a great way to meet people and the local wildlife..

I think you can just apply for a working holiday visa over the internet, we have had a couple of friends that have done it. They had excellent office and accounting skills but couldn't get any work so went home after 2 months.

Good Luck