Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Australia?

Where in Australia?

Old Jun 12th 2004, 7:44 pm
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough
Default Where in Australia?

I would be very interested to know where British expats settle in the best in Australia and why. I lived in Sydney for 19 years and never really settled but maybe that was something to do with Sydney or maybe me?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:12 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Where in Australia?

Originally posted by cdandi
I would be very interested to know where British expats settle in the best in Australia and why. I lived in Sydney for 19 years and never really settled but maybe that was something to do with Sydney or maybe me?
My personal opinion here.

I moved to Sydney in 1986, never settled, went back to UK in 1996, but it wasn't right for me.
Moved back to Sydney in 2000, still not happy.

Moved to near Brisbane Dec 2002

Happy here

What part of Sydney are you in ?

Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's currently in UK ABC ?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Bix
I think he's currently in UK ABC ?
I need new glasses !

I read it as " I live in Sydney" I missed the "d"

Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:29 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I need new glasses !

I read it as " I live in Sydney" I missed the "d"

That's okay Mr. iamond
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:37 am
Banned

I left Sydney 5 years ago - now living in New York and absolutely love it...apart from the winters. I'm just curious as to where those who settle do so. I know that Australia is not all bad it's just that Sydney was never for me.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:42 am
Banned

I don't know if I could ever live back in the UK although I do have feelings of "homesickness" from time to time despite being away for many years. However, I went back for 3 months 5 years ago....I was shocked at the cost of living, but from reading this forum, Australia is equally as expensive now adays.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Melbourne, loved it there, had some great mates and loved the city itself, later on I moved out more into the country which was a bit more boring but I still commuted.

Loved Darwin, though 2 years was long enough, was very much a party town when I was there, but can feel a little isolated from the rest of Australia. Loved the people, blah blah blah.

Didn't like Sydney, like you I couldn't settle there. Always thought it was a bit over rated. Lived Brisbane, liked it. Perth was nice for a holiday was too far from anywhere though. felt a bit claustophobic in a funny sort of way.

I think if I went back it would be a toss up between Melbourne and Brisbane......possibly Melbourne would win the vote.......I liked having different seasons........but there again I liked Brisbane's weather.ummmm.

But I guess it's like anything, its the people you meet, if lady luck is kind to you etc. If you meet the wrong people, things go wrong it gives a different view.

It also depends on what you do for a living and job opportunties will also determine a decision and what kind of lifestyle you want.

Thats my 2c worth anyway.

Have fun in making a decision, anyway, you don't have to stick to it if it doesn't work out, just move. to the next destination. LOL.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:14 am
Banned

Too true!!!

It's all about the people you meet on your journey. I found Sydneysiders to be very pretentious. Here in New York I know people from all walks of life, all nationalities, but nevertheless we all look out for each other!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 5:15 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Too true!!!

It's all about the people you meet on your journey. I found Sydneysiders to be very pretentious. Here in New York I know people from all walks of life, all nationalities, but nevertheless we all look out for each other!
New York City or just New York state itself?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Dolphingirl
I think if I went back it would be a toss up between Melbourne and Brisbane......possibly Melbourne would win the vote.......I liked having different seasons........but there again I liked Brisbane's weather.ummmm.
We've just got back from Brisbane Botanical gardens; the Melbourne cast of Blue Heelers were saying how cool it is down in Melbourne at the moment, yet we were all hot and needing the sun screen lotion all day !! I think they liked it up here. Winter in Brisbane is nice

Originally posted by Dolphingirl
Have fun in making a decision, anyway, you don't have to stick to it if it doesn't work out, just move. to the next destination. LOL.
That's right

Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ABCDiamond
We've just got back from Brisbane Botanical gardens; the Melbourne cast of Blue Heelers were saying how cool it is down in Melbourne at the moment, yet we were all hot and needing the sun screen lotion all day !! I think they liked it up here. Winter in Brisbane is nice QUOTE

I know, I spent a year there arrived in winter. I find it hard to make a choice as I have friends scattered throughout Australia, which is great when I come back for a visit as I ring up my friends then book my ticket as often end up visiting the various destinationa. There are so many part of Australia I like, I used to love driving from Brisbane to Sydney, stopping off at Byrons Bay, especially North NSW, used to think it was Gods country when I was driving. But the Northern Territory I loved also, it's got something about it. Met some great aborginals in that part, very generous and interesting.

But the one thing I did find if lady luck was being unkind and I was in a negative situation which wasn't changing, I moved which often was a positive move. I guess it changes your frame of mind different environment and therefore you come across often more postive which people warm to, better than being around someone who is depressed and negative. Did it when I got divorced, best thing I did.