Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where are all the Aussies hiding?

Where are all the Aussies hiding?

Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where are all the Aussies hiding?

Is it from us??!!

Just finding that we are mostly mixing with Brits, which is fine, but not really the long term goal of being here. Would prefer a variety

So, where are they all??

Where can we find them??

My parents used to live in Adelaide and they made great efforts to become involved in true Aussie life - it worked out great for them!

Mrs J

P.S. Appreciate that Ocean Reef and several other coastal areas attract more Expats in general
Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:38 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Where are all the Aussies hiding?

that's perth for you...

brisbane is becoming the same. i'm getting sick of going to the supermarket and hearing poms everywhere.

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Is it from us??!!

Just finding that we are mostly mixing with Brits, which is fine, but not really the long term goal of being here. Would prefer a variety

So, where are they all??

Where can we find them??

My parents used to live in Adelaide and they made great efforts to become involved in true Aussie life - it worked out great for them!

Mrs J

P.S. Appreciate that Ocean Reef and several other coastal areas attract more Expats in general
Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
that's perth for you...

brisbane is becoming the same. i'm getting sick of going to the supermarket and hearing poms everywhere.
Lucky you dont live in the bayside area then :scared: .
Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:51 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Is it from us??!!
Most Aussies will avoid large congregations of Poms... Even in London we seem to manage it
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't be surprised. I expect the local population has been diluted considerably by the hordes of Brits that continue to descend.........
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:27 am
ABCDiamond

Is it from us??!!

So, where are they all??

Where can we find them??

Mrs J

You live in Ocean Reef ?

Perth has 12% of it's populations born in the UK
WA has 11% of it's populations born in the UK
Ocean Reef, Beldon, Connolly, Edgewater, Heathridge, Joondalup & Mullaloo jointly have 23% of their population born in the UK.

Brisbane is only 6% by comparison

Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You live in Ocean Reef ?

Ocean Reef, Beldon, Connolly, Edgewater, Heathridge, Joondalup & Mullaloo jointly have 23% of their population born in the UK.

And most of these 23% are northerners and jocks.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness we are only renting then - time to move!!
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You live in Ocean Reef ?

Cheers ABCD. Be over soon then to inflate those Brissie stats
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:47 am
ABCDiamond

Thank goodness we are only renting then - time to move!!
The 23% figure surprised me aswell :scared: That's a high %

Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:48 am
ABCDiamond

Cheers ABCD. Be over soon then to inflate those Brissie stats
Don't bring too many of your new friends

Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Join a footy team. I am indeed the ONLY pom there
Old Jul 11th 2005, 5:13 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

They are hiding in the more inner suburbs, eastern suburbs, and the country towns.

But... moving to those area's MIGHT defeat the purpose of why many(as far as I can tell...., and not ALL) move to Perth..

Move to inner suburbs: higher mortgage, especially if you want to live near the beach.
Move to eastern suburbs: not near beach, and more hoons/chavs/crime/other immigrants etc
Move to the country: no jobs, no shops, to isolated, to far 'behind'.

Funny that the above area's are the ones I prefer though(and no, not because of the high level of british in the other areas! )

EDIT: disclaimer: yes, I am generalising. But generally, I do think the above is about right, generally speaking

Last edited by Simone; Jul 11th 2005 at 5:16 am.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 5:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
Tell us your post code and i'll tell you how many Brits are in your area

Old Jul 11th 2005, 5:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Depends on your definition of footy, now doesnt it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.