Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where abouts in brisbane are you?

Where abouts in brisbane are you?

Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of
Default Where abouts in brisbane are you?

Hi All,

We are coming over to Brisbane within the next few months and are looking at schools and areas in Brisbane. We are looking at renting, got two girls aged 7 and 10, husband working in rocklea area. Anyone give us some info on where they are staying/going and what schools are good. I dont drive so close proximity to school is a must.

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

The Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud ofThe Reid Family has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where abouts in brisbane are you?

Anyone ?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:43 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Sherwood. Very close to Rocklea and the local state primary has an excellent reputation. I know people who travel with their kids for 20-30 mins on the train to get them to that school. I also love living in Sherwood. It's quiet but plenty to do. Lots of parks and open spaces. Close to bus and rail to shopping/the city etc. Only 25 mins on the train to the city centre and easy connections to the rest of Brissy. I can't fault the area to be honest. Other local suburbs where I would happily live include Corinda and Graceville (although Graceville can be a bit pricey depending on the street you live on). Graceville primary is also a good school with great facilities. The secondary schools locally aren't bad, but because of the public transport links it's really easy for older kids to travel to schools elsewhere. Indooripilly State High School is one of the top schools in Brisbane (excluding the private schools).
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information it is so difficult to look at any area on the internet and decide if it is nice or not. Probably find it easier when we get there.

Thanks once again
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

I'll second tking, Sherwood and the surrounds seem very nice, I don't live there (I'm a Bogan from Logan, about another 45 minutes to the south) but I've friends that do and whenever I've stayed over it's been very peaceful.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

The only thing i am confused about is state school fees. One person tells you that you have to pay for your kids education and the other tells you that as it is a 457 visa you dont! I have e-mailed the school and await there reply.

If anyone can put my mind at rest feel free
Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

Bellbowrie is not to far from indoorphilly, you get alot more for your money and the school has a great reputation. It is on the bus route to Brisbane cbd. If you are looking to live by the rail, Chelmer has a good name but can be pricey. hope this helps
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:11 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by The Reid Family
The only thing i am confused about is state school fees. One person tells you that you have to pay for your kids education and the other tells you that as it is a 457 visa you dont! I have e-mailed the school and await there reply.

If anyone can put my mind at rest feel free
No state school fees in QLD on a 457 visa, unlike other states. We are on 457with two kids.
You will pay for uniform/materials at state school. We have just arrived and these things are quite pricey.