Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When's a good time to look for flights? How far in advance...

When's a good time to look for flights? How far in advance...

Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all
Default When's a good time to look for flights? How far in advance...

need a one way to Perth in May , is it worth looking already ?- is there a general trend as to when the bargains can be had - if indeed there are any to be had?

Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:11 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When's a good time to look for flights? How far in advance...

How long is a piece of string mate? There are as many answers to that question as there are answers to when its best to book flights. My favourite is "twice as long as half of it" which is technically correct but doesnt help much.

However in my experience - tickets are relased between 13 and 11 months in advance. Thats when they tend to be cheapest. Prices then seem to increase as the tickets on a particular leg get scarcer - I have always tried to book at least six months out and seem to have got good deals that way. Last year I had to book a ticket back to UK at short notice (four weeks) and I paid a few hundred dollars more that I was expecting to.

I'd say book now - they dont tend to get cheaper, but once you've booked dont look, what you dont know wont hurt you!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would say start looking now and keep your eye open for what you think is a good deal, airlines have sales from time to time. If you know your dates already and see a good deal then bag it.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:21 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would say start looking now and keep your eye open for what you think is a good deal, airlines have sales from time to time. If you know your dates already and see a good deal then bag it.
BA have a sale on from now until 2nd October but I think its better value for return flights, you get a free class upgrade on either the inbound or outbound leg.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddyo
BA have a sale on from now until 2nd October but I think its better value for return flights, you get a free class upgrade on either the inbound or outbound leg.
I guess the upgrade on the inbound leg would be a waste for Dave.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

thanks for replies - the cheapest i'm looking at on way is 478 inc. How Does that sound ? I was hoping for a little cheaper or am I being greedy?

Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:52 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davesax
thanks for replies - the cheapest i'm looking at on way is 478 inc. How Does that sound ? I was hoping for a little cheaper or am I being greedy?

is that pounds or dollars? I paid 700GBP one way to sydney in 2008 so i reckon thats a flamin bargain. get it booked!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Yes
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ponyrama
is that pounds or dollars? I paid 700GBP one way to sydney in 2008 so i reckon thats a flamin bargain. get it booked!
Ok thanks , reckon i'll go for it . ( mind you Sydney is another 5 hours on! )
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane flights are all over £525 in May oneway.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:40 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Dave....WHERE are you going??? Sydney or Perth?

BA seems good, your price seems excellent. Are you now saying that you will transit from Perth to Sydney anyway?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dave....WHERE are you going??? Sydney or Perth?

BA seems good, your price seems excellent. Are you now saying that you will transit from Perth to Sydney anyway?
No no- just commenting that the price posted for the one way to sydney seems in keeping with my quote , bearing in mind it's another 5 hours flight.

I may book very soon, not sure it will get any cheaper , thats with Quantas though
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:02 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

No no- just commenting that the price posted for the one way to sydney seems in keeping with my quote , bearing in mind it's another 5 hours flight.

I may book very soon, not sure it will get any cheaper , thats with Quantas though
If you are not fussed about standards, try Air Asia. Very cheap budget international airline.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:53 pm
beach bum

If you are not fussed about standards, try Air Asia. Very cheap budget international airline.
Yeh bring your own loo roll and be prepared to hold on to a door to keep it shut for the duration.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:59 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Yeh bring your own loo roll and be prepared to hold on to a door to keep it shut for the duration.
I flew Air Asia with my family (4yr old and 8mth old at the time) to KL from the gold coast last year. Also internally in Malaysia and I could not fault the service. It was spot on. In KL we were never waiting more than 10mins for our luggage and the plane was full. The food was great they offer asian and western options. OK you have to pay for it but we pre booked it in advance. The seats were comfy and the crew were great. It was a far superior service to the likes of Ryan Air and Easyjet.

I wouldnt rule them out for a trip to the UK if they worked out cheaper. If your flight connections in KL mean a stop over in KL check out Tune hotel www.tunehotels.com it is right at the airport saving a 1 1/2hr drive into KL and the rooms are double for 10 pound a night sometimes cheaper. Very well furnished and sound proofed. There are shops, bar and cafe downstairs for food so make the stop over comfy you can get a lift to the terminal with the taxi service downstairs for 1 malaysian ringgit per person.

Jo