Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whens The Best Time

Whens The Best Time

Old Dec 2nd 2006, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all
Question Whens The Best Time

Hi everyone

My house is sold just want to know when is the best time to transfer money to Aus as I wont be moving to Aus untill May 2007. If I transfer now will it earn interest. and would I have to pay tax on it here in the UK or in Aus.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all
Default Re: Whens The Best Time

Originally Posted by brad
Hi everyone

My house is sold just want to know when is the best time to transfer money to Aus as I wont be moving to Aus untill May 2007. If I transfer now will it earn interest. and would I have to pay tax on it here in the UK or in Aus.
God its just like waiting for your visa HELLO ANYBODY THERE
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:24 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh you need to work on your patience! Sorry can't help you with your question....just thought I should answer you before your neediness became overwhelming!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly not the best approach if what you are hoping for is friendly, free advice.

Have you already tried searching the forum to see if the info you want is already here?
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:35 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Possibly not the best approach if what you are hoping for is friendly, free advice.

Have you already tried searching the forum to see if the info you want is already here?
lol
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:37 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
lol
Your avatar reminds me of Aston's butt avatar!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:41 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

My reply would be to speak to the people in the NO!! The people that transfer money will always be very helpful as they want your business!! I am pretty sure you would earn interest on the money and if it was me I would be watching the rate to see what happens!!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:44 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by toon williams
My reply would be to speak to the people in the NO!! The people that transfer money will always be very helpful as they want your business!! I am pretty sure you would earn interest on the money and if it was me I would be watching the rate to see what happens!!
'know' not 'no' you eedjit!

rates doing well at the moment, anything over 2.48 is a real bonus.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busterboy
'know' not 'no' you eedjit!

rates doing well at the moment, anything over 2.48 is a real bonus.
Yea its me everybody woke up now
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 6:57 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

My house is sold just want to know when is the best time to transfer money to Aus as I wont be moving to Aus until May 2007. If I transfer now will it earn interest. and would I have to pay tax on it here in the UK or in Aus.
Anyone that knows the definitive answer to your question is a very wealthy person...

You'll certainly get interest on it and if you have an address outside Australia then I believe you'll only be stopped 10% withholding tax. This I also believe you should be able to claim back with a tax return to the ATO. At least that's the info I have from Westpac and my accountant.

Interest in Oz is higher than in the UK so there's a certain reasoning for moving your money sooner rather than later; however balanced against that is fluctuating exchange rates and no one knows where the GBP/AUD will be next week let alone next May.

Speak to the chaps at UKForex or whoever you're going to use to change with and see what they say...

Good luck...
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
You'll certainly get interest on it and if you have an address outside Australia then I believe you'll only be stopped 10% withholding tax. This I also believe you should be able to claim back with a tax return to the ATO.
If UK resident then there may also be a liability to UK income tax on the amount, with an offset for the 10% witheld.

The 10% non-resident tax is not reclaimable in Australia, and a non-resident does not need to do a tax return just because of Australian sourced bank interest.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

STOP SHOUTING! I WAS BLOODY SLEEPING!

Earning pounds in interest is better than earning dollars, esp if it's in a high yeild interest rate for 6 months and you don't touch it.
Then wait for the exchange rate to rise and transfer the lot. That's what I'd do anyway.

I don't know about the tax ... listen to JAJ.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:17 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

personaly if you can get a good excahnge rate i`d send it over now
most banks pay between 5.5 and 6.2 percent intrest on savings accounts
we had ours with the commonwealth bank in brisbane and it earned alot of intrest in the six months prior to us arriving

my opinion

steve
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
personaly if you can get a good excahnge rate i`d send it over now
most banks pay between 5.5 and 6.2 percent intrest on savings accounts
we had ours with the commonwealth bank in brisbane and it earned alot of intrest in the six months prior to us arriving

my opinion

steve
thanks for your help everyone
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:28 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If UK resident then there may also be a liability to UK income tax on the amount, with an offset for the 10% witheld.

The 10% non-resident tax is not reclaimable in Australia, and a non-resident does not need to do a tax return just because of Australian sourced bank interest.
Ooer... I'll have to have a word with my chaps... The ATO just gave me a TFN because I said I wanted to claim my tax back...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.