Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD)

When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD)

Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all
Default Re: When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD)

We've been in Oz 5 weeks now but I don't know how we go about getting an Australian drivers licence?

Am I right in thinking you have to do a theory test to gain one?

We are waiting to hear back from the TRA for the skilled workers permanent visa (this has been temporarily stopped due to fraud by immigrants) so we are here on 12 month working holiday visa's whilst the process continues. Can we get Oz licences on this?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:12 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicrock
We've been in Oz 5 weeks now but I don't know how we go about getting an Australian drivers licence?

We are waiting to hear back from the TRA for the skilled workers permanent visa (this has been temporarily stopped due to fraud by immigrants) so we are here on 12 month working holiday visa's whilst the process continues. Can we get Oz licences on this?
I think it might depend where in Australia you are what you need to do to gain your licence - the Queensland Driving Licence is a straight swap over, I just went in one afternoon, filled out a form handed over my UK licence so they could check the details and proof of identity (passport) and address (bank statement) and I was issued with my shiney new licence!

As to whether you need one or not, I would check the driver vehicle licensing website for whichever state you are now in. In Queensland you are only required to transfer to a QLD licence once you have citizenship or have a visa allowing an indefinite stay. Here is the relevant quote from the website

"Your authority to drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence will be withdrawn if you:

* become medically unfit to drive safely
* have lived in Queensland for three months since gaining Australian citizenship or a visa allowing an indefinite stay in Australia."

If in doubt phone them up and check - always better safe than sorry! Good luck with your visa!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 4:58 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

My partner forgot to get proof of his no claims before we left the uk, do you think the insurance company would still have his details and be able to email his no claims?
RACV here asked if we had a NCB and they accepted what we said in writing as fact without showing evidence. Several other places didn't give a toss that we have any NCB
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:01 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on how long you have held your UK license, where in Australia you're living and what visa you're on.

As you're on a working holiday visa you have no requirement to change, in fact I'm not sure they would even let you. When you get your PR visa then you will need to change and it goes back to the previous two questions.

Al