Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD)

When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD)

Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:09 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all
Default Re: When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD)

We have an address in Aus, that's not the problem.

I just want to have my licence with me when I arrive in Aus so that i can get it swapped ASAP...
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:13 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
I just want to have my licence with me when I arrive in Aus so that i can get it swapped ASAP...
Why ? It varies from visa type to visa type, but at a minimum you'll be able to drive on your UK license for at least 3 Months.

I agree that having an Aussie license is the best form of ID over here, but your situation is now different in that you have a points judgement against you in the UK which you really should sort out first.

I'm not telling you what to do, this is just the opinion of one person, but I would certainly get that cleared up first. Especially as it will not impact you at all over here, but could cause an irritation to you in the long term back in the UK. Like genital herpes, it could make back and bite you in the arse.

Al
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:28 pm

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

I was just presuming that things like buying a car, getting insurance etc would be easier with an Aus driving licence, and as you said - a good form of ID which all goes towards building an Australian identity, which is currently non-existent....
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:36 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I was just presuming that things like buying a car, getting insurance etc would be easier with an Aus driving licence, and as you said - a good form of ID which all goes towards building an Australian identity, which is currently non-existent....
No mate, as long as you can provide "100 Points of ID" you'll be fine. Australian businesses are more used to this sort of thing (dealing with new immigrants) than any other country in the world.

In the first few months of being here we bought a new car, insured it, rented a long term house, insured that, took out all number of bank accounts, credit cards, utility services (gas, electric, water, etc), I even got accepted by the local shooting association, joined a club and got a Provisional Firearms License including police interviews, etc all with my UK passport and UK drivers license. As long as you can prove who you are then they are happy.

The big hurdles are 1) get your bank accounts and cards that leads to 2) getting your first bank account statement which leads to 3) getting your house (rental or buy) which leads to 4) getting your utility/bank bills. Once you have them, in conjunction with your Passport and License you are full on ID'ed up. Having an Aussie Drivers license just means you don't have to carry all this extra ID around (passport with visa, UK license, etc) when you sign up for stuff.

The only draw back I can see in your situation will be you being without your UK license for a few weeks while it's sorted out. Nothing major other than you won't be able to drive during that time.

for the record if you are ever asked for 100 points of ID it means the following

Group A - each document is worth 70 points
  • A fully certified birth certificate (or copy certified by a Justice of the Peace)
  • A current passport (UK passport with valid Visa will work fine)
  • An Australian citizenship certificate.
Group B - each document is worth 40 points (preferably containing a photograph of the applicant)
  • A current licence or permit issued under Australian law, eg. Driver's licence (UK license will work fine)
  • Identification issued by Government authorities eg. one of the following:
  • Public Service employee identification
  • Evidence of your entitlement to financial benefits or other entitlements from the Commonwealth or a State or Territory Government
  • A student identification card issued by an Australian educational institution
  • A statement from your employer or an acceptable referee verifying your identity and certifying that they have known you by your name for at least twelve months. (Preferably with a photograph of you signed by the employer or referee).
Group C - each document is worth 25 points
  • Official correspondence addressed to you such as a public utility account (eg. gas, water, electricity), council rates, bank statement or similar (some institutions want one from each category thus bills are good to have with you)
  • Bankcard, Visa or other credit card
  • Any other document which in the opinion of the person to whom it is produced, provides similar verification of the applicant's identity.
Only original documents, or certified copies are accepted as proof of identity.
Alternatively, just provide a current Australian Firearms License which is the equivalent to 100 Points instantly (not surprising after the red tape and hoops you have to go through).

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 21st 2008 at 11:46 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:43 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

I would be inclined to phone DVLA and ask for their advice - give a change of address to someone you trust (family) and just say to DVLA that you are coming to Australia for "a while" and need your UK licence with you, don't need to tell them that you are planning to change to a QLD one, just that you need your UK licence to drive there, is there any way that the matter could be expedited if you came into a DVLA office so that the points would be on your licence but that you would have in done in time before you go?

The couple of times I've had dealings with DVLA I found them them to be quite approachable and helpful.

Good luck with it
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:48 pm

Sounds like a plan - cheers.

just hope the next letter arrives in the next few days...
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:05 am
No Clean Feed

Sounds like a plan - cheers.
No worries. Hope it all works out mate.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

with reference to driving on uk licence for a min 3 months

my husband failed to give way at the lights in adelaide and got caught by the police - we had only been in the country for about 2 weeks - the police said because we were perminant resisdants he needed an oz licence so he made me drive, he took all my cousins details and actually hand delivered the fine (VERY EAGER)
I had to get an oz driving licence so we could buy the car, for the rego n insurance.

this is only my experience and in no way saying other comments are wrong
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:21 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by beaumonts
we had only been in the country for about 2 weeks - the police said because we were perminant resisdants he needed an oz licence so he made me drive
Bizarre, what State are you in ? I can tell you for sure that this is certainly not true. As a PR you have up to 3 months to exchange your UK license for an Australian one. The three months start from either day you landed with your PR visa or from the day you became a PR while resident in Australia. The only question I would raise is if you activated your visa and them moved out properly some time later and even then I seriously doubt they would class this in the same way. They could see this from your passport entry and exit stamps and their access to the immigration database. We moved out a year after we activated and still had three months to exchange and we confirmed this with VicRoads at the time.

This is what the law says per state:

Queensland

When would my authority to drive in Queensland on my foreign driver licence be withdrawn?

Your authority to drive in Queensland on your foreign driver licence will be withdrawn if you:

* become medically unfit to drive safely
* have lived in Queensland for three months since gaining Australian citizenship or a visa allowing an indefinite stay in Australia.

Source: Queensland Transport Licensing
Western Australia

If you have a permanent residence visa and intend on living in WA you must obtain a WA drivers licence within 3 months of getting the visa. After this period your overseas authority to drive will not be recognised.

Source: WA DPI Licensing Services
South Australia

Permanent residents
If you are issued a permanent visa and become a resident of South Australia you must surrender your overseas licence and obtain a South Australian Driver's Licence within three months.

Source: SA DTEI Licensing
Victoria

Overseas drivers - licences

The need to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is permanent or temporary.

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa, you can drive on your overseas licence for only three months from the date you entered Victoria or from the time a permanent visa was issued to you. If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after that time you must apply for a Victorian driver licence.

VicRoads - Licensing
Northern Territories

You must change over your driver licence and vehicle registration within three (3) months of residing in the Northern Territory.

Source: NTG Licensing
ACT

Overseas Drivers who become ACT Residents

People from other countries who take up residence in the ACT must hold an ACT Driver Licence to drive a motor vehicle. When you move to the ACT your current overseas licence or International Driving Permit is valid for only three months.

Source: ACT Road Transport Authority
Tasmania

Driving on your overseas licence

You can drive in Tasmania on your overseas licence if you –
  • are a visitor OR
  • have a temporary visa (e.g. international students, refugees, working, holiday) OR
  • have a permanent visa and have been in Australia for 3 months or less

Source: Tasmania DIER

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 22nd 2008 at 1:24 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

we was in adelaide at the time - i must say the policeman was abit of a bleep and was all abit dodgy to me - but when your in a diff country for the short time we was you dont argue your case.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

djrobs is an unknown quantity at this point

You shouldn't have replied to the letter and just left.

They could not attach points to you without confirmation that you were driving.

When you came back you could have said thought you'd gotten rid of the car at the time. Or you could have said you'd returned it. I've had letters to them go missing and they don't care - they have just quashed the ticket.

I'd still forget about it. Say that set up redirection but you heard nothing more.

They will not pursue you over this.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:14 pm

Well, my second letter came today - but get this:

(after a page of facts etc...)
We will not be prosecuting you on this occasion...
Lovely!

So worries over...
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point

A new spin on this one

1. Did validation visit in June
2. Thought speed limit on highway was 120kmh
3. Actual limit 100kmh
4. Got zapped speed camera 112kmh
5. Got fine though today $100 and 1 demerit point.
6. Paid fine

Question when I go over in October to live will the 1 demerit go onto my brand new Queesland drivers licence??

Cheers
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:57 pm
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
A new spin on this one

1. Did validation visit in June
2. Thought speed limit on highway was 120kmh
3. Actual limit 100kmh
4. Got zapped speed camera 112kmh
5. Got fine though today $100 and 1 demerit point.
6. Paid fine

Question when I go over in October to live will the 1 demerit go onto my brand new Queesland drivers licence??
Yes. Any demerit points that are still valid (gained within last three years anywhere Australia) gained while on your UK license will be transferred to your Australian license.

Sorry

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 23rd 2008 at 11:05 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by beaumonts
Hi there

altho your points do not carry over, you will have to declare offence when you get car insurance. Dont forget to bring any proof of no claims bonus. Also I would pay the fine, just in case.

Maria
My partner forgot to get proof of his no claims before we left the uk, do you think the insurance company would still have his details and be able to email his no claims?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.