British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/when-you-swap-your-uk-licence-do-points-transfer-qld-549426/)

Simon.and.Kate Jul 16th 2008 5:28 pm

When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD)

We're leaving the UK on 5th August, and I was planning on swapping my licence for a Queensland one pretty soon after arriving.

Unfortunately I've just recieved a letter informing me I was caught speeding last week.

I don't mind coughing up and taking the wrap for it - I'm just concerned if it takes longer than 3 weeks to sort out. We actually leave our flat next Thursday and are travelling between friends and family for a couple of weeks...

I then also wondered: do any points you have on your UK licence get transferred to your Queensland one when you make he swap?

MarkMC Jul 16th 2008 5:33 pm

Re: When you swap your UK licence, do points transfer? (QLD)

Personally I'd reply to the letter once you have an address in qld. Tell them you have moved and that is why there was a delay in replying. Then ask for proof of the offence so you can build a defence. It will all be forgotten about eventually.

Edit:
Don't send your license off yet (for the points) as it may not be back in time for when you move.

denkar101 Jul 16th 2008 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate (Post 6577632)
We're leaving the UK on 5th August, and I was planning on swapping my licence for a Queensland one pretty soon after arriving.

Unfortunately I've just recieved a letter informing me I was caught speeding last week.

I don't mind coughing up and taking the wrap for it - I'm just concerned if it takes longer than 3 weeks to sort out. We actually leave our flat next Thursday and are travelling between friends and family for a couple of weeks...

I then also wondered: do any points you have on your UK licence get transferred to your Queensland one when you make he swap?

Nope, any points on your UK license will not transfer to any Aussie one.
Try and pay any fine before you leave otherwise it will be waiting for you when you eventually return.
Don't want that hanging over you, do you?
Cheers,

Simon.and.Kate Jul 16th 2008 5:52 pm

eventually return ????

:)

No plans to do so, but for the sake of £60, I don't mind clearing it up.
It's nice to now that I get a clean sheet in Aus though...

The question know is, will they process this in time before we leave???

denkar101 Jul 16th 2008 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate (Post 6577713)
eventually return ????

:)

No plans to do so, but for the sake of £60, I don't mind clearing it up.
It's nice to now that I get a clean sheet in Aus though...

The question know is, will they process this in time before we leave???

Not sure about the time taken to process this.
Just mentioned the return thing in case you came back to visit family and discovered a warrant out for non payment of fines, lol.
Good luck on your move.
Cheers,
Dennis

djrobs Jul 16th 2008 6:46 pm

I wouldn't bother paying it.

Won't transfer to Oz and if you ever came back would be long gone and forgotton

MarkMC Jul 16th 2008 7:35 pm

and, if you visit you can always use the Aus license?

beaumonts Jul 18th 2008 1:00 pm

Hi there

altho your points do not carry over, you will have to declare offence when you get car insurance. Dont forget to bring any proof of no claims bonus. Also I would pay the fine, just in case.

Maria :thumbsup:

biggy Jul 18th 2008 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by djrobs (Post 6577903)
I wouldn't bother paying it.

Won't transfer to Oz and if you ever came back would be long gone and forgotton

done the crime pay the fine

charlie-k Jul 20th 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate (Post 6577632)

There's a 3 hour 'safety course' you can attend in the UK. You book yourself on it and once attended, do not get points on licence. You still have to pay the fine though!
I know this because my OH got caught for speeding a couple of weeks ago - 1st time in about 17 years! (getting caught that is!)

smudger_scfc Jul 20th 2008 11:41 am

Originally Posted by beaumonts (Post 6584815)
Hi there

altho your points do not carry over, you will have to declare offence when you get car insurance. Dont forget to bring any proof of no claims bonus. Also I would pay the fine, just in case.

Maria :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about the no claims bonus proof (although it is transferrable). There is a lot of Insurance companies in Australia who will offer you a rating 1 just to get your custom. They will also more than likely offer cheapest premium.

Also RE the speeding penalty. I got caught just before i left for Aus, couldn't be bothered fighting it as i was leaving, paid the fine and sent in my "paper licence" 3 months later i hadn't had it returned so applied for a photo licence. 3 months after arriving in Aus the DVLA were sending threatening letters to my old address threatening to revoke my licence if i didn't return my photo licence to have the points put on.

Never did or plan to send it back, they sort it if and when i ever go back.

djrobs Jul 21st 2008 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by biggy (Post 6584859)
done the crime pay the fine

Hardly a real crime. Easy target for the police.

bigAPE Jul 21st 2008 10:52 pm

In general I see Speeding Fines as a tax on the motorist, however in this instance the following things apply:
  1. The fine won't go away because you have left the UK, it will stay there and wait for you like an creepy ex-girlfriend who won't piss off. Pay it and be done
  2. The UK points will NOT transfer to Australia so don't worry. Accept the points and be done
  3. Any demerit points earned while driving in Australia on your UK license WILL be transfered to your Australian license when you transfer it. So be careful, get caught 1Kmph over the limit here and they will do you for it.

I have been through 1 & 2 above, but not 3.

Hope this helps

Al

Simon.and.Kate Jul 21st 2008 10:58 pm

I don't mind paying the fine and taking the points. I've returned the letter saying "yes, I was driving" and I'm waiting for the "cough up £60 and send us your licence" letter...

Problem is, we leave the flat on Thursday, and will then be "of no fixed address" and out of the area until we leave on Aug 5th.

I'm not sending my licence off to "no idea where" just before leaving. I'm sure the letter will come in the next few days, but then I would like to be able to call in and pay the fine and have my paper work 'adjusted' there and then...

bigAPE Jul 21st 2008 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate (Post 6595995)
I'm not sending my licence off to "no idea where" just before leaving. I'm sure the letter will come in the next few days, but then I would like to be able to call in and pay the fine and have my paper work 'adjusted' there and then...

Understood, you don't have a forwarding address here. Providing your wife is able to drive I would do the following:
  1. Setup an Australian "virtual" PO Box at Travellers Contact Point
  2. Head down to your Post Office and setup International Postal Redirection for your family from your current UK postal address to your virtual PO Box in Australia.
  3. Send off your license with your UK address as normal, ensuring that the name you are known by on your license is down as one of the names to be redirected in step 2 above.
    OR
    Send off the license with the virtual PO Box address in Australia, that way you can be sure it will get back to you there.
  4. Rent a car on your wifes license while your license is away.
  5. Once your settled in a new home or long term rental and your existing Royal Mail redirection expires then you can setup a long term redirection directly to your new address and close down the TCP Virtual PO Box account.

I would also call up the DVLA to confirm what you're doing and ensure that they are OK with it all, better safe than sorry. They won't stop you going, but may give you advice on the fastest way to get your license back.

Al