Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when you feel the distance...

when you feel the distance...

Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: when you feel the distance...

Jason

Felt sad reading your post. Its something that I think about with leaving my own grandmother. Please take our thoughts and best wishes with you.

Sam
Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:28 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Jason,

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

I also lost my Gran when I was on the other side of the world, and was unable to return for her funeral. Fortunately (in some ways) she had been ill for a while and it was clear her time was coming. I made a special visit to see her when I was last in the country, and that was my chance to say goodbye.

Hope the trip back goes as well as it can.

Regards,

Southerner
Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:44 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

jason
so sorry for your loss - it happened to me the last time I left the UK - my dad and a very cherished aunt. hope the journey back isnt too stressful - you will have enough to occupy your thoughts.

sue
Old Aug 27th 2003, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

rachels is an unknown quantity at this point

Jason

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandmother.

My heart goes out to you as I am leaving behind my 90 year old grandparents when we move to Brisbane in 4 weeks time. They will miss me very much (as I will them) but at the same time they are very proud that I am taking such a big step.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm sure that your Grandmother would have been proud to raise such an adventurous and loving person and that she wouldn't want to you to feel guilty.

My thoughts are with you

All the Best
Rachel
Old Aug 28th 2003, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
Hi,

We have been in Brisbane for 3 months now and we have loved almost every minute. It is still early days, but I think we made the correct move. The internet and low call costs back to the uk make it extremely easy to contact the people that you care about.

However, you do get to feel the distance when something bad happens. My Grandmother died suddenly yesterday. She brought me up. The UK feels a long way away now that I'm travelling back for the funeral. 27 hours flight each way - there and back in 6 days due to having to return to work.

Also, it is costing about 1000 pounds UK. I really want my wife to come back with me, but we can't really afford two tickets right now. Money asside, I just need to be there.

Lots of things have been going through my mind. The last time she had 'a turn' was when her husband died 20 years ago and she was upset. I know that she was missing us very much and was upset too. I hope that we did not contribute too her death. ..... We thought she had at least another 5 years in her and did not expect it to be the last time we would see her when we left in May. She was 90, but very very strong. She was an incredible lady.

I am not looking forward to travelling back by myself, especially for a stay of only a few days and for that reason. I'm not looking forward to going to the funeral. But, I need to be there to say goodbye and for closure. I want to be there for my sister as well, she is really upset.

So, what have I learnt from this so far?

(1) I still believe that we did the correct thing migrating to Brisbane - and I still want to live there. It is sad to think this, but I haven't got as much back in the UK now.

(2) The phone is fantastic (so cheap too)....but sometimes it is totally inadequate.

(3) I am glad that I can go back.....got the money, employer support etc.... but I think maybe I should of had even more in reserve.

(4) Be prepared for anything, it might happen

I don't really know why I wrote this. I guess I'm feeling sad. However, just make sure that you have enough reserve funds to go back ASAP....cos it might just happen. You WILL want to go back when it does. Don't let it stop you from going though.

Jason

PS. I used to enjoy flying
Hi Jason
what a lovely post, the circumstances are sad but reading between the lines was lovely. i am sorry to read about your grandma but she has had a great 'innings' and you shouldn't ever feel guilty for wanting to make a better life for yourselves.
during the flight there think of all the great memories you have of your grandma then on the way 'home' plan what lies ahead, your grandma would be very proud of you i'm sure and heaven holds no boundries and she will be with you in Australia as she will when you come back to the UK.
with regards
rach & family
Old Aug 28th 2003, 5:20 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

hI JASON...
Sorry to hear about your nan, i lost mine on the 30th june..4 days before my wedding. my brother left for aussie just before she died it was awful saying goodbye to her because he knew he wouldnt see her again,but my nan held on until my brother landed on australian soil and then she slipped away ( the exact time ) so i think she was with him all the way and made sure that he got there safely.Just remember that your nan loved you and still does, time and heaven hold no boundaries...
take care
Old Aug 28th 2003, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for the loss of your grandmother, my deepest sympathies are with you x
Old Aug 28th 2003, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I just want to thank everybody for their kind words. This problem is obviousley shared, or will eventually be, by most expats and your words of support have made me feel a little better.

all the best
Jason
Old Aug 28th 2003, 9:53 am
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
Hi,

I just want to thank everybody for their kind words. This problem is obviousley shared, or will eventually be, by most expats and your words of support have made me feel a little better.

all the best
Jason

It's really nice to know that people care, even though they have never met you. What a nice bunch of "posters" we all are

Sandra