Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When will the WA house boom end

When will the WA house boom end

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default When will the WA house boom end

I know its probably been done to death, but as i sit and wait for my visa and house sale I see things that were affordable just slipping away and cant imagine just having another big mortgage, but in the sun.

Getting a bit concerned

Mick
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

devonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant future
Default Re: When will the WA house boom end

Originally Posted by mickagnew
I know its probably been done to death, but as i sit and wait for my visa and house sale I see things that were affordable just slipping away and cant imagine just having another big mortgage, but in the sun.

Getting a bit concerned

Mick
hi Mick,
i know exactly how u feel, we too are concerned that if house prices continue to rise we will not be able to get back on the ladder.
like you we are looking to have a smaller mortgage in oz especially as wages are lower, we have decided to rent for a year or so to see how the market goes and hopefully pay our rent on the interest from our UK house sale.

it is scary but hey i'm sure it will come to an end soon, all good things do and then we can be there to pick up the pieces HOPEFULLY!!

Anita
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: When will the WA house boom end

Tell us about it!! We had lovely real estate adverts from February and was getting real excited about what we would be able to afford.

So STOP buying property in Perth and surrounding suburbs (at least haggle the price more).

We are now going to do the same and rent for a little longer than what we wanted just to get the money situation a bit more sussed out - will be living off the UK property sale money and saving every penny earned to make a large deposit (with the remainder for UK money).

Could do with losing a few kilo's anyway, will eat less, walk more, drive a banger (same old same old) when necessary.

Good luck to you both!

Paula
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 3:49 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I have been thinking about what we can (MAY) be able to afford when we eventually get there going by the way the house prices are hitting the roof, I wish i was in as good a position as you!

My kids will have to share their toys from Santa this year, ( the only good thing about this is that i have been Santa for a few years now ) maybe along the lines of Shannon Santa has got you a Yo, Ryan Santa has got you the other Yo

gets any worse i will be charging them rent

Originally Posted by Downies
Tell us about it!! We had lovely real estate adverts from February and was getting real excited about what we would be able to afford.

So STOP buying property in Perth and surrounding suburbs (at least haggle the price more).

We are now going to do the same and rent for a little longer than what we wanted just to get the money situation a bit more sussed out - will be living off the UK property sale money and saving every penny earned to make a large deposit (with the remainder for UK money).

Could do with losing a few kilo's anyway, will eat less, walk more, drive a banger (same old same old) when necessary.

Good luck to you both!

Paula
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a bit concerned

Mick
I overheard this geezer down the pub, who mentioned that his mum works with someone whose brother-in-law is in the know. He says that it will end at 3:27 pm on Friday, 29th Feb 2007.

I reckon that he's bullshiting, cuz theres no leap year in 2007....but make your own mind up.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: When will the WA house boom end

Getting a bit concerned

Mick
Worrying innit
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny someone should post this thread. My husband and I were having this conversation about an hour ago. In October when we decided to go to Perth, we were looking at $250,000 - $300,000 for a nice small house. We probably could even build on a small plot for that price. Now $300,000 will get you a shed in someone's garden. Scary, eh?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:55 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

It will never end...........................................

You've blown it, gone is the chance to own your castle, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but mystic meg told me house prices in perth will continue to rise while expats continue to flood Oz!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:30 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

maybe its the mining boom, more jobs higher wages means higher demand for housing and people can afford to pay more.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:30 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russmcp
It will never end...........................................

You've blown it, gone is the chance to own your castle, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but mystic meg told me house prices in perth will continue to rise while expats continue to flood Oz!
exactly.

if there wasnt all the bllody poms going over they would be in recession

i blame the brits
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by devonfolk
hi Mick,
i know exactly how u feel, we too are concerned that if house prices continue to rise we will not be able to get back on the ladder.
like you we are looking to have a smaller mortgage in oz especially as wages are lower, we have decided to rent for a year or so to see how the market goes and hopefully pay our rent on the interest from our UK house sale.

it is scary but hey i'm sure it will come to an end soon, all good things do and then we can be there to pick up the pieces HOPEFULLY!!

Anita
Don't forget you will be paying tax on your interest over here! That was a shocker for us I can tell you. Then there's the ridiculous stamp duty you'll pay on your house.....and on your car.

House prices are still going crazy, as are land prices. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there doesn't seem to be an end to it in sight at the moment. Land is in huge demand (people camp out for a week. In this weather they must be crazy!) and decently priced properties are being snapped up. Here at Carramar and Tapping the houses are selling so quickly, sometimes before being marketed. People are asking silly money for them....and getting it.

How's Devon? I'm heading there next week for a month. Can't wait for a chocolate box view fix.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

devonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant futuredevonfolk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Don't forget you will be paying tax on your interest over here! That was a shocker for us I can tell you. Then there's the ridiculous stamp duty you'll pay on your house.....and on your car.

House prices are still going crazy, as are land prices. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there doesn't seem to be an end to it in sight at the moment. Land is in huge demand (people camp out for a week. In this weather they must be crazy!) and decently priced properties are being snapped up. Here at Carramar and Tapping the houses are selling so quickly, sometimes before being marketed. People are asking silly money for them....and getting it.

How's Devon? I'm heading there next week for a month. Can't wait for a chocolate box view fix.
Devon's great especially as the sun is shinning!

but house prices here are even worse than in Perth so still a viable prop for us!
any how life is about more than owning your own home (or so i tell myself!!)
for me it will be good to get to see my sisters and there children again.

Anita
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Jokat will become famous soon enoughJokat will become famous soon enough

The house and land prices here in Perth will, according to experts, continue to rise for the foreseeable future, and we're bloody frightened by it I can tell you. We've recently bought and sold a house in Ellenbrook within the space of 4 months, made $72500 profit gross, down the $45,000 after everyone's fees paid out. Put a lot of work into it, but never the less, still a staggering profit in just 4 months. Moved down to Mandurah (long story, won't bore everyone with the details), and are in a rental paid up for 6 months. We fully intended to play it cool for a while, not buy anything, and wait for things to fall into place. Already in panic mode - been looking at houses in Halls Head area, which is where we are now and would like to stay, and I've been staggered at how little you get for your money, and how much more you have to pay for something half decent. Sorry folks, but thats fact. Looked at 3 last weekend - first one was $369,000, the smallest 4x2 you could ever see, smaller than what we had in England, so for 4x2's thats going some! Wanted totally gutting, no garage or even a shed, no retic, no air con or gas bayonets, driveway cracked and uneven, and a garden like a scrubby field. Next one for $449,000 - better, decent size, but again, needed lots doing to it, and now having a better idea of what things cost to put in, I would say needed at least 30-40k spending on it. Last one was $470,000, in a nice street, nicely maintained, but the nastiest cheap kitchen and bathroom fittings. All in all disappointed with everything I saw, and staggered at how little you are actually getting for your money. And then on top off all that you have the stamp duty and fees to find, which for our last home ended up costing close on $18k. Yet by Monday pm all three under offer, people must have money to burn or they are in an even greater state of panic than what we are. Was talking to the lady that owned the first one - she said I was the first person to look at the place that wasn't looking for an investment property - perhaps this drive to own investment properties is part of the cause of whats happening here, maybe the government needs to look at taking away some of the tax incentives for doing it. Whatever, we are going to end up with a much bigger mortgage than we had in the UK (so much for dreams of being better off), in a house that is no better (ok very likely to be bigger, but certainly nowhere near as well finished or equipped). Fast coming to the conclusion that we'd be better buying a block and building our own, despite the long wait, and putting all our own internal fittings in, instead of accepting the standard internal cheap c**p,or paying through the nose for so called 'quality' fittings. I fear for our own kids when they grow up, at this rate they will never own their own property.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 4:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Perth property prices are going to keep on rising in the short-medium term imo. Resources boom is showing no sign of slowing down. China has agreed to pay 19% increase in iron ore prices. LNG projects starting up. Boddington & other gold mines being built. RGP3 & 4 for BHPBilliton & Hope Downs for Rio Tinto still have 3-4 years left in construction phase. This is just some of the things keeping WA going & if they go for Uranium (which is inevitable).....

Fact is a lot of people moving here because of this boom can earn the big salaries that are on offer due to the massive skill shortage, plus the fact that this is a very wealthy city & there are a lot of people with a lot of money & they want to invest it. There is a shortage of building lots, the government has 39000 blocks allocated for development that have not yet been released, this is causing a temporary shortage of land.

IMO property is still going to keep on rising & the key is to get in as soon as possible. But to put it in perspective property is cheaper here than the UK & some other parts of Australia, so for some people it's still good value.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Perth property prices are going to keep on rising in the short-medium term imo. Resources boom is showing no sign of slowing down. China has agreed to pay 19% increase in iron ore prices. LNG projects starting up. Boddington & other gold mines being built. RGP3 & 4 for BHPBilliton & Hope Downs for Rio Tinto still have 3-4 years left in construction phase. This is just some of the things keeping WA going & if they go for Uranium (which is inevitable).....

Fact is a lot of people moving here because of this boom can earn the big salaries that are on offer due to the massive skill shortage, plus the fact that this is a very wealthy city & there are a lot of people with a lot of money & they want to invest it. There is a shortage of building lots, the government has 39000 blocks allocated for development that have not yet been released, this is causing a temporary shortage of land.

IMO property is still going to keep on rising & the key is to get in as soon as possible. But to put it in perspective property is cheaper here than the UK & some other parts of Australia, so for some people it's still good value.
You're there and I'm not, but in my opinion Perth is now not cheaper than some half decent places in Melbourne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.