Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When we get there part II

When we get there part II

Old May 6th 2004, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

slimdonnybabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When we get there part II

Sorry, but got some more questions for anybody who could help who's got to Melbourne.
1. Where do we register for child allowance - we have one child. (Can we register from UK before we leave?).
2. Is it cheaper to hire a car in advance from here or rent when we get to Melbourne, locally and pay in dollars?
3. How far from Melbourne Airport to CBD and how long would it take to get there in the early hours of the morning and would we have to pay a toll if we hired a car from the airport?
4. Can we get a fully imported Toyota Prado or Rav 4 from local garages in Melbourne? Would you have to order a new one or do you they stock them in the dealers. How long would it take to get one from order time?
5. If we have a permanent residents visa, do we still have to purchase a new house?
6. Is there lots of paperwork to fill in to become citizens?
Thanks in advance.
Kim
Old May 6th 2004, 6:08 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I can answer Question 1 as I used to work for Centrelink. You apply for Family Payments from Centrelink, which is Australia's social security agency.
You must be in Australia to claim them unless they're covered by a reciprocal agreement.
See http://www.centrelink.gov.au/

Question 3: About 15 to 20 minutes from memory, if you mean Tullamarine.
Old May 6th 2004, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When we get there part II

I got a taxi to the CBD rather than the hire car, and that was in the small hours too.

It may cost more (even though you do have to pay an additional price for hiring a car from the airport), but at the end of the flight I was knackered and was very grateful to be 'chaffeured' to our destination.

Besides, young_lass' map reading is terrible.

Check out Budget's website site for quotes for hire cars in Melbourne.
Old May 6th 2004, 11:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When we get there part II

Originally posted by slimdonnybabe
Sorry, but got some more questions for anybody who could help who's got to Melbourne.
1. Where do we register for child allowance - we have one child. (Can we register from UK before we leave?).
2. Is it cheaper to hire a car in advance from here or rent when we get to Melbourne, locally and pay in dollars?
3. How far from Melbourne Airport to CBD and how long would it take to get there in the early hours of the morning and would we have to pay a toll if we hired a car from the airport?
4. Can we get a fully imported Toyota Prado or Rav 4 from local garages in Melbourne? Would you have to order a new one or do you they stock them in the dealers. How long would it take to get one from order time?
5. If we have a permanent residents visa, do we still have to purchase a new house?
6. Is there lots of paperwork to fill in to become citizens?
Thanks in advance.
Kim
5 No you can purchase what you can afford.

6 Citizenship can be applied for online at www.immi.gov.au . You will then have an interview at DIMIA where you will present your evidence of having spent 2 years in Australia as a PR.