Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to start looking for jobs

When to start looking for jobs

Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:59 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default When to start looking for jobs

I'm probably a good 6 months away from moving to Aus at present, but I was wondering when you should really start looking for jobs.

I'm a systems analyst / programmer and will be heading for the Gold Coast / Brisbane sometime early to mid next year when my visa is hopefullly granted.

When do you think I should start looking for work? Do most people wait until they get to Aus or do you start looking and applying for jobs whilst still in the UK? I'd be interested in finding out some other peoples experiences? I think I'll register with a recruitment agency but when should I do this? I'm applying for a skilled Ind visa (136)

Has anyone entering Aus with this type of visa successfully managed to gain employment in Aus before actually arriving?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Apply when the opportunity arises!

I didn't think about my employer when I was in the process of applying to emigrate then for various reason I decided to tell them and they came up with a job transfer! I also was trying all aspects of my job in the consulting world and only possibly cause of my skills (PeopleSoft) had a favourable response - eg look us up when you get over.

I know that may not be the case for yourself and you may not be intending to tell your current employer - if that is the case what about firms you work closely with or know about that use your skills now - any of them possible contacts/future employers.

It never hurts to try now, be prepared for knock backs but no time lost looking in sending letters now....you can always follow them up when you arrive.

Agencies in my experience only wanted me in Aus so they could earn money straight away, but again no harm in trying.

Best of Luck - much nicer to go with a job sorted than without security wise! On the other side of the coin I started work five days after landing and let my husband sort out the whole house/forms/car/kids mess on his own. I have still not had a whole weeks holiday since we got here!!! So there are some advantages to looking for a job once here....you may get a few enjoyable weeks off if cash flow is not too important.

Cheers
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Bear in mind that a lot of companies, agencies or not won't accept your application until you have your visa.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: When to start looking for jobs

Originally posted by elksa

Has anyone entering Aus with this type of visa successfully managed to gain employment in Aus before actually arriving?
If you are realistic then the best you may hope for is to get a reply along the lines of "we like your resume, call us when you're here, until then all the best".

I started contacting firms about 3 months before my scheduled move (now 2 1/2 weeks away) and got one no-reply, one "sorry position won't be filled right now" (I suspect they were only phishing for resumes) and one led to a schedule interview within two days of arriving (hope I'm over jetlag by then).

Mike
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:56 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

Until you have an Australian address it is really not worth it. Recruiters are looking for reasons to whittle down applications, and being overseas seems to be a good one dismiss your application without even looking. The only exception seems to be the very highly sort after occupations - such as midwives and nurses.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

I got in touch with a few recruitment agencies and had a chat so that once I came out I was able to meet with them straight away and start going to interviews. I arrived in Aus on the Friday, had first interview on the Monday, second on the Thursday and started a week later!
It didn't hurt to apply for jobs from about 1 month before I came out however people do want to meet you in person. I was interviewed over the phone a few times but was never in the country soon enough so the decision was always made to go with someone available to meet there and then even though they could not start until after me due to notice periods etc.
Good to keep an eye out though and get your CV out there.