Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to start applyin for Oz roles?

When to start applyin for Oz roles?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about
Default When to start applyin for Oz roles?

Hi people

For people who are applying as skilled independant I have a quick question.

When did you guys begin job seraching for perminant roles? Did you apply for roles whilst still based in the UK with details of your 136 currently being processed, or did you wait till you arrived in Oz B4 you began applying?

My background is IT but I guess it relates to any industry.
I am in the early stages so was wondering if it was worth waiting 6 months & then begin to apply, explaining the situation.

Or being looking now & sending details of myself so that all agencies will have time to send stuff back. Am I getting way ahead of myself?

Then again the other half of me thinks take a month or two off once I arrive & enjoy myself B4 I begin the rat race again.

I would be interested to see what happens with the changes since July 1st & if anyone has any updates in the next couple of weeks. ie. that they front loaded & recieved confirmation of acceptance from DIMA within short period of time.

Thanks all
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:01 am
2007 Emigrants

Mike & Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When to start applyin for Oz roles?

Originally posted by Dmartyos
When did you guys begin job seraching for perminant roles?
My visa is Skilled Independent in IT.
I contacted a few agencies and am subscribed to a few good newsletters, but the advice from agencies and prospective employers so far has been to wait until I'm in the country before making any formal applications.
We're not heading off until after Xmas, and I guess they feel a lot can happen between then and now. No point wasting anybody's time...

When are you leaving ?

Last edited by Mike & Zoe; Jul 6th 2004 at 10:13 am.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

When did you guys begin job seraching for perminant roles? Did you apply for roles whilst still based in the UK with details of your 136 currently being processed, or did you wait till you arrived in Oz B4 you began applying?
Hubby and I are on skilled independent and both in IT. We started searching for permanent/contract roles ages ago, as soon as we started the application process. Initially we were looking at jobs in Melbourne but since we changed our plan we started looking at Brisbane jobs 3 months ago. But that was purely research to see what is out there, nothing to do with applying for jobs as such. We also read online Australian newspapers to see what the market's like from time to time.

We're leaving the UK in a month's time for Brisbane and are planning to send a few letters/email this week or next or whenever I stop procrastinating... We've been checking out positions on various job sites but haven't been very diligent as we are hoping to have a few weeks off to settle in and sort out housing etc when we first arrive. Ideally we would like to send out some letters/email in the next couple of weeks and hopefully set up some interviews for a week after we arrive.

Everyone's different but that's just our plan.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your skills are in such short supply that employers are desperate, usually there's not much point submitting applications until you have your PR *and* have arrived in Australia.

Jeremy

Hi people

For people who are applying as skilled independant I have a quick question.

My background is IT but I guess it relates to any industry.
I am in the early stages so was wondering if it was worth waiting 6 months & then begin to apply, explaining the situation.

Or being looking now & sending details of myself so that all agencies will have time to send stuff back. Am I getting way ahead of myself?

Then again the other half of me thinks take a month or two off once I arrive & enjoy myself B4 I begin the rat race again.

I would be interested to see what happens with the changes since July 1st & if anyone has any updates in the next couple of weeks. ie. that they front loaded & recieved confirmation of acceptance from DIMA within short period of time.

Thanks all
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Mike & Zoe

I am in early stages of Inital application for IT Skilled Independant. Ideally I would go tomorrow cause its in my head but realistically I think between 9/12 months, next aug/sept I guess.

Where are you guys planning on settling?

Looks likely it will be sydney for me due to extended family & friends living there already & having lived there for 6 months myself. Will settle better there easiler. Plus the nightlife is cool!

Just getting used to this forum, some helpful people who are in same situation, best of luck for all applying, personally I think its a pretty brave decision for all (especially with family or aliement). (Have spent time with glum people who say I wish I could do this/that etc & never do. Think alot of it is how strong willed you are to make it work, no matter what is thrown your way)

Cheers