Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to ship personal belongings

When to ship personal belongings

Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough
Default When to ship personal belongings

Hi
Just wondering when would be the best time to send our container off to Oz. We are hopefully staying with friends for the first two weeks of our arrival. I know it takes approx 7 weeks for the container to get there, was thinking of sending it 5 weeks before we go? Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Thanks
Sue
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to ship personal belongings

Originally Posted by Gaz & Sue
Hi
Just wondering when would be the best time to send our container off to Oz. We are hopefully staying with friends for the first two weeks of our arrival. I know it takes approx 7 weeks for the container to get there, was thinking of sending it 5 weeks before we go? Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Thanks
Sue
We have been told that it takes about 7 weeks to arrive there physically, but the quarantine/customs people can take another few weeks to clear it. I know a couple of people who have gone out quite recently and sent their stuff well ahead of them, then still waited another month to actually get it.
We are going mid-April, hoping to find a house in about 3 weeks, so in early May, and our stuff will be shipped early-mid Feb. It might sit in store at Sydney, but we would rather that than be without our things when we move in to our house.

Course the earlier you ship the longer you are without your things before going - so it just depends whether you want your things more before you go or more when you arrive!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 12:01 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Ours took 12 weeks and we had no complications along the way
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:48 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Ours took 12 weeks and we had no complications along the way
THERE IS ALWAYS ONE SMUG BUGGER
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:05 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Originally Posted by esperanza
We have been told that it takes about 7 weeks to arrive there physically, but the quarantine/customs people can take another few weeks to clear it. I know a couple of people who have gone out quite recently and sent their stuff well ahead of them, then still waited another month to actually get it.
We are going mid-April, hoping to find a house in about 3 weeks, so in early May, and our stuff will be shipped early-mid Feb. It might sit in store at Sydney, but we would rather that than be without our things when we move in to our house.

Course the earlier you ship the longer you are without your things before going - so it just depends whether you want your things more before you go or more when you arrive!
Hi,

Is there any issue with getting it into store once it's there? Does the shipping company sort that or do you need to organise it? Plus if you know it offhand what cost was the storage?

I am not looking forward to living out of suitcases for any amount of time, here or there!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Hi,

Is there any issue with getting it into store once it's there? Does the shipping company sort that or do you need to organise it? Plus if you know it offhand what cost was the storage?

I am not looking forward to living out of suitcases for any amount of time, here or there!
Our things are going with Allied Pickfords, they do removals & storage in Oz as well as in UK so I assume it will just go in to a storage depot in Sydney... haven't actually asked though! We get a few weeks storage included in our whole deal, so I couldn't say what the cost is. It would vary depending on how much you had though, I think they do it by cubic feet.
When we have our house they will deliver and unpack the whole lot. And then our new life begins!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks
Sue
I'd opt for earlier rather than later... most people will have a wider variety of people they can stay with/borrow off in the UK than they will once they get to Australia.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 8:16 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
THERE IS ALWAYS ONE SMUG BUGGER
Why aren't you in Brisbane?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:01 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Thanks
Sue
Before ship, do a proper calculation. I did it and then decided to ship only few boxes. That ended up becoming a big expense. It is not at all worth.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:14 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks
Sue
Hi Sue

Where is Oz are you headed?

We came to Melbourne and the shipment took 5 weeks on the sea with 2 further weeks going through customs. Most agents said between 8 and 12 weeks.

We sent the container ahead and did 2 (week long) holidays in Europe (staying with friends). The remaining week we sleeped on the floor and enjoyed the company of good friends. Then took our time coming over (further 2 weeks in Asia). On arrival we spent a few nights in a hotel and then booked 4 weeks but only stayed 10 nights in a short term apartment.

If the items come in early most of the frieght forwarders give you a weeks grace.

We spent 3 days unpacking and sorting - so it was good the container was released midweek while the little one was in child care.