Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When To Sell The House

When To Sell The House

Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice
Default When To Sell The House

Reading Tracey.d's thread has got me wondering when is the best time to put the house on the market.Do most people wait until they have their visas or do it when they first apply?

Did you wait Tracey?

Sue
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:00 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When To Sell The House

Originally Posted by southstander
Reading Tracey.d's thread has got me wondering when is the best time to put the house on the market.Do most people wait until they have their visas or do it when they first apply?

Did you wait Tracey?

Sue
From the posts here its largely a risk that you take. You are advised not to make any rash decisions, such as selling your home, before you get your visa - so sayeth DIMIA. There are posts from people here that are glad they did as it took a while to sell, others have found themselves homeless :scared:

Of course in a worst case scenario if your visa is refused for some reason then you could of course have pretty much screwed up your life here.

I think its largely down to personal circumstances and what you feel comfortable in doing. We didnt sell properties before we obtained our visa just in case there was a problem, that and a lot can happen in the year plus of processing time it took ours. Horrible decision to make eh ?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 6:05 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Did you wait Tracey?

Sue
We put ours on the market once we'd sent the bond as this is the last part of the process. On reflection, wish we'd done it sooner cos it's frustrating to have the visa and still not be able to move cos house not sold

Like centurion says, it's down to individuals and the risks they are prepared to take.

Good luck!

Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

We put our house up for sale when we lodged the paperwork and it still has not sold!!! :scared: The problem is we have decided to go anyway and hope it sells soon.

It really depends on your circumstances - could you stay somewhere else if it sold quickly? Do houses go quickly in your area? What else is up for sale? etc

AND how confident are you with your visa application, suppose that is the biggest issue.

What we have learnt is that things rarely go to plan......with us anyway!!!!

Wishing you the best

Roni
Old Aug 29th 2005, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Did you wait Tracey?

Sue
It doesn't seem the UK housing market is in very good shape at the moment, if you're selling

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4193008.stm
Old Aug 29th 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

If you believe you have a good case to get your visa then i would sell as soon as you can. As someone has said the housing market is very slow but a good thing to do is watch how the houses in your area are doing ie are they selling quickly. Personally i wish we had sold earlier as if we did we would now be in oz, as it's very frustrating having your visa but not been able to go due to waiting for the house sale to complete. Good luck with your application
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

Originally Posted by karenjc
If you believe you have a good case to get your visa then i would sell as soon as you can. As someone has said the housing market is very slow but a good thing to do is watch how the houses in your area are doing ie are they selling quickly. Personally i wish we had sold earlier as if we did we would now be in oz, as it's very frustrating having your visa but not been able to go due to waiting for the house sale to complete. Good luck with your application

Tend to agree with you there, having not sold ours either!!!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: When To Sell The House

Originally Posted by Aus4us
Tend to agree with you there, having not sold ours either!!!
We put ours on the market in March, thinking it would tie in with the expectation of getting our Visas in June. However, the house sold quickly, and the visas were still nowhere in sight. As a result, we had to move out and into rented for 3 months. The visas eventually came through and we're off 4 weeks today!! It wouldn't have been the way I would have planned it, but this emigration process has a mind of it's own!!!!!!!!!!!
As a previous poster said, it is really up to your own circumstances....
Good luck
BB
Old Aug 29th 2005, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

nadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nice

We've decided to get our visa, then do a visit to validate it before putting house on the market. Much as we are all itching to go, it will take off the pressure as we will have 5 years to sell. We hope it doesn't take that long! We are going to treat our "visa visit" as a holiday and a chance to see as much of Oz as poss.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

southstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nicesouthstander is just really nice

Did you wait Tracey?

Sue
Thanks everyone for your shared thoughts! It's just nice to muse things over with people who are intersted and understand instead of friends and family who aren't emigrating. Will atleast wait til hubby passes his RPL.
Sue
Old Aug 29th 2005, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Did you wait Tracey?

Sue
I wish i had sold mine or at least put it on the market when we started our app. We only have 3 weeks left in the UK after a quick sale was promised we booked flights for us and the dogs and now the buyers are mucking us about no end. I would rather have the money in the bank and be renting at the moment that way i know i would have enough money to buy in Oz and have no worries. With the market as it is at the moment with stagnant prices if it did go wrong you should be able to hop back on the property ladder without loosing too much. Just my opinion