Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to put your money in an Aussie Bank account?

When to put your money in an Aussie Bank account?

Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default When to put your money in an Aussie Bank account?

Hi everyone
Just had a slightly confusing bit of advice and I'm not sure if its true but the B/F just told me that I need to transfer the proceeds from the sale of my house over to an Oz bank account BEFORE i land and if I don't it will be subject to 40% capital gains tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
Is this right? I was thinking I could leave most of my money in my UK account, at least until I get settled. I have actually started getting an Aus HSBC account set up as well so I could transfer the money straight into that account I supoose. I'm sure most people would be in a position of having their money in their UK account when they first move over though so surely they don't all get hit with a huge tax bill as soon as they get there?
Just when you think you've got enough to stress about! Anyway, hopefully someone can put the record straight for me, and everyone else in the same position!
Kelly x
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to put your money in an Aussie Bank account?

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Hi everyone
Just had a slightly confusing bit of advice and I'm not sure if its true but the B/F just told me that I need to transfer the proceeds from the sale of my house over to an Oz bank account BEFORE i land and if I don't it will be subject to 40% capital gains tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
Is this right? I was thinking I could leave most of my money in my UK account, at least until I get settled. I have actually started getting an Aus HSBC account set up as well so I could transfer the money straight into that account I supoose. I'm sure most people would be in a position of having their money in their UK account when they first move over though so surely they don't all get hit with a huge tax bill as soon as they get there?
Just when you think you've got enough to stress about! Anyway, hopefully someone can put the record straight for me, and everyone else in the same position!
Kelly x

hi kelly not sure on the answer but we sent ours befor we arrived once you get here you just go to the bank give them your details and then you can get at it!

hope this helps geex
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gina
hi kelly not sure on the answer but we sent ours befor we arrived once you get here you just go to the bank give them your details and then you can get at it!

hope this helps geex
Cheers Gee, would be good to know the answer though because I'm sure alot of people don't set up Aus bank accoutns until after they arrive. Can you imagine the shock and horror of getting taxed on your dosh? !
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know who B/F is but he/she/it is talking B*ll*cks.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I bloody well hope so mate, still going to talk to a financial advisor though
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We put some of ours into ANZ before we got here to see us ok when we arrived & left the rest in UK TSB until the rate went up then got HIFX to transfer it over. Got more than if we had bought it over in one go as rate went up!
Kaz x
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Auzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really nice

Originally Posted by karenjc
We put some of ours into ANZ before we got here to see us ok when we arrived & left the rest in UK TSB until the rate went up then got HIFX to transfer it over. Got more than if we had bought it over in one go as rate went up!
Kaz x

Good tip re the interest rate.I'll keep that in mind when its our turn. What made you choose ANZ over one of the other banks?

Jane
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Hi everyone
Kelly x
Hi Kelly. Even though we had a bank account set up before we arrived, we left our house money in the Uk until the exchange rate improved. Didn't transfer it for about 10 months. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you only get taxed on the difference in the rate of exchange. Someone else can hopefully clarify this.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi Kelly. Even though we had a bank account set up before we arrived, we left our house money in the Uk until the exchange rate improved. Didn't transfer it for about 10 months. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you only get taxed on the difference in the rate of exchange. Someone else can hopefully clarify this.
You are indeed, correct. With the commencement date being the date of your arrival in Australia.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:14 am
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
totally agree. transfer your dosh when the exchange rate looks like its at its peak. it shouldn't become a capital gains issue, it's not a capital investment.. it's a house sale.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:01 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

As long as you don't buy a house over here before you transfer the money you will be fine.

LJJ
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
As long as you don't buy a house over here before you transfer the money you will be fine.

LJJ
Why is that then?