Reload this Page >

When to put house on market??

When to put house on market??

Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:14 am
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to put house on market??

Hello everyone

Would appreciate any advice on this matter. When is the best time to put your house on the market? I realise this is a rather difficult question, but obviously a lot of you have already been there, and I would just like some feedback.

We are thinking of putting ours on when they ask for medicals and police checks, is this too early, too late??

Theresa
Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When to put house on market??

Originally posted by kittenlips
Hello everyone

Would appreciate any advice on this matter. When is the best time to put your house on the market? I realise this is a rather difficult question, but obviously a lot of you have already been there, and I would just like some feedback.

We are thinking of putting ours on when they ask for medicals and police checks, is this too early, too late??

Theresa

hi theresa

we have just been asked to do medicals and pccs so we have decided that we will do it in feb as we have to be out in oz by sept next year so that gives us a bit of time to sell it and we dont then we will validate the visa and sell it at a later date

arlene
Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone

Theresa
This obviously depends on how long you want to be hanging around once you have your visa.
We did not put the house on the market until the visa was in the passports. If we had been a bit more confident about getting the visa, then we may have put the house up for sale earlier.
The house went on the market 18th May, got a buyer on the first day, changed their minds after 3 weeks. A lot of messing around since then but expecting to exchange contracts today. Going to Oz 18th October fingers crossed.
Personally I have found the house sale more of a pain than waiting for the visa to be approved (and that was bad enough)
The other things to consider are, what is going to happen to the housing market in the future? Will prices start to fall?
A lot will depend on the area that you live but it is anyones guess.
Best of luck.

Tony C
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Hi Theresa,

We are leaving in November and we put the house on the market in May! I thought it was way to early, but here we are almost in October - two sales fallen through and still not sold !
I guess you just cant tell but my advise would be to put it on the market as early as you can, you can always drag your heals and blame the solicitor, thats what they're there for.

Mark
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:37 am
WBB

too many variables really to give a definitive answer but generally houses sell better in the summer months and the longer you hold on to it the more it will be worth.

try looking into how quickly houses in your street/area sell and i would recommend you get at least 3 valuations as they can vary a lot!!!

good luck

Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Hi there

We went through same dilemma. We therefore got about 4 agents round to value the house and give us guidance on the market. They said typically the market goes quieter Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb. We put ours up on the market last week and sold it a week later (fingers crossed it all goes through). We are sending our DIMIA application off in a few weeks and have also pursued the STNI for Victoria. We're hoping that all goes through ok and we'll rent until we get approval. Worst case scenerio is that we don't get accepted. In which case we'll look at moving to Europe. Some economists reckon interest rates will start to increase in Jan 04 which mean house prices will fall. But depending on which newspaper or media you read always gives different views. It really is "pot luck".

Good luck anyway.

Hello everyone

Theresa
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:30 am
Badge

there's been a slummer slump in August now it is September people come out again as they want to be in by Christmas especially if they are first time buyers no chain etc..

in my case, I've been waiting almost 3 months with delays and my tenant may not get a mortgage now anyhow!!

If the market falls next year I will be pissed off.

badge

Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Theresa,

We submitted our medicals back in July and haven't heard anything back yet.

After reading various threads on this forum the very worst position for me and young_lass would be our departure being held up by house issues (such as people pulling out of purchase just prior to our planned departure etc.) We need the money from the sale.

We realise the actual departure will be pretty stressful/exciting/....../ (fill in the blanks), so if we can take one emotional/stressful thing out of that (i.e. selling our house) we're going to do it.

So we decided to put our place up for sale now.

The thinking being that we presume (more like, 'bloody hope') we should hear something from Adelaide before, say, Feb/March 2004.

From offer to completion could (but shouldn't) take 2 months (it's happened to us before). Factor in the viewing lull that will undoubtedly happen during Dec/Jan and maybe Feb and that gives us around 8 weeks of decent viewing time before things quieten down for Christmas.

Of course we may not get a buyer within these next 8 weeks, but we're going to have a go. (We may also then get a buyer in December to completely rubbish our thinking!)

The priority for us was releasing funds and reducing hassle. Your priorities may be different.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:51 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

cant really offer any advise as we are going to nz not aus so the application process is different but from my own experience I would prob have put our house on the market at the beginning of the year knowing what I know now
Old Sep 26th 2003, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We are waiting for TRA to come back, hopefully lodging main app end of November time. We will put the house on the market around March/ April time, about 5/6 months from lodgement date so that hopefully we can get it done and dusted by the time our visas come through. We will rent in the meantime when we've sold until we go. don't want to be hanging around once we've got those stickers!

from reading on this forum, it looks like it can take FOREVER to sell - buyers dropping out, solicitors dragging their heels, land searches etc taking an age to organise, so we think being prepared in advance is the best way to go. If we don't get a PR visa then we would move house anyway and the money will be sitting in the bank for us to do so.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Our situation is that we put our house on the market in May, got an offer on the second day we we refused as it was too low too soon. No other takers for 5 weeks then sold to someone for 1,000 more than the first offer. That was begining of July and we still havent exchanged contracts.
Latest update yesterday was that all contracts are signed and ready to exchange, mortgage offer confirmed and accepted, just the deposit to pay, contracts to exchange and complete on 13th October.
But and its a big but, I have read all over this site that nothing is confirmed until completion, so I am not taking anything for granted. I am planning on flying back to NZ for more interviews and keep pushing the flights back as the completion date keeps moving.

My advice as with others is, sell your house first, whilst it is going through fly over to NZ (if you can afford it), and have a look around. There is nothing you can do in the uk whilst the sale is going through and it will stop you going mad. Get the agents to do everything, because that is what you pay them for. If all goes to plan, you will have sold your house, be more aware of what you will be facing, and can enjoy the experiance more.

Good luck to everyone.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a so called straightforward house sale, but I was still amazed at the amount of time it took.

Got our visas in May, put house on the market in June. I thought this was far too early as we didn't want to leave til October.

First offer fell through, then we accepted another on 9th August. These were cash buyers so we thought we would be completed very soon. But by the time they had had a couple of surveys, solicitors had taken a long time doing things, we didn't exchange til last Monday and will complete on the 17th.

It's worked out perfect for us, but I am still shocked at how long the whole process took.