Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when people say a 10ft container...

Wikiposts

when people say a 10ft container...

Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:30 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough
Default when people say a 10ft container...

What do they mean. I presume it isn't 10ft squared so what are the height and width dimensions please.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:33 am
DarrenD

Containers come in 2 lengths (you see them on the back of trucks) .

Long ones are 40ft
Short (half size ones) are 20ft.

Another option is to share a container with other people.

Width & height are standard are containers are standard sizes.

Never heard of a 10ft container before. Do you mean 20ft ?

Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:36 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DarrenD

Long ones are 40ft

Hi

what is the smallest container you can get then, and what is the biggest, what can you fit in the containers, and what are the prices like??

When I go, I was just thinking of selling everything and getting a smallish container just for personal stuff like CD's and photos etc... Any advice on costs or sizes etc???

laura
Old Mar 17th 2004, 3:46 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lauralollipop
Hi

what is the smallest container you can get then, and what is the biggest, what can you fit in the containers, and what are the prices like??

When I go, I was just thinking of selling everything and getting a smallish container just for personal stuff like CD's and photos etc... Any advice on costs or sizes etc???

laura
Have a look at VOOVIT.com, or the excess baggage company. These have been mentioned on the forum before and are good for shipping a smaller number of boxes.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 4:15 am
DarrenD

20ft container holds 1050cu ft
40ft container holds 2100 cu ft

i'm afraid you'll have to do the maths to convert that to cubic metres.

Shared containers (as opposed to sole use) are cheaper, but the youve other peoples stuff in the same container and charges (and time) to separate it all out

Hope this helps

Old Mar 17th 2004, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

hi

Robinsons have quoted us £350 for 14 tea chest size boxes, which will take all our kithen and personal items, we will then replace settee beds etc, as they are due for an update anyway.

I am in the midlands but i think they work all over country.

Angie
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:37 am
Sydney since Oct 04

l_jg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Angie,

I was just checking that Robinsons is the same as Robinsons-intl.com as what you have been quoted seems to be quite cheap in comparison to other companies and we wouldn't need any more boxes than that as we are doing much the same as you, leaving everything but the odd little bits.

Thanks
Lisa

Originally posted by brummie bird
hi

Robinsons have quoted us £350 for 14 tea chest size boxes, which will take all our kithen and personal items, we will then replace settee beds etc, as they are due for an update anyway.

I am in the midlands but i think they work all over country.

Angie
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:04 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DarrenD

Long ones are 40ft

Darren,
you can get 10 ft containers but they are not very common. I think from memory they hold about 15m3, cant remember the height/width dimensions.

You can also get 30ft containers but again these are not very common.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:53 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

20ft - loads of space
40ft - bring everything.including the pool table and more

there is loads of advice on this site (do a search), I personally advise to bring everything, esp with family (children). On the site we need people who came over with a couple of boxes and are doing well a year on in. Cause the main advice seems to bring what you can and change over when you need.

Come on ..........who came with nought and a year on in ...........?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:04 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I have only ever heard of 20 ft and 40 ft. They are the most common anyway.

I was told half a 20 ft was 15 m3 and 3 m in length.

A 20 ft is 595x230x230 cms lxbxh
This is what a shipping company told me (I asked)

My parents fitted a whole house(4 people) etc in a 20ft.(packed themselves)

We think we will need about 15 m3, which is half a 20ft (we have a 3 bedrm flat, no garden stuff, 2 people)