Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When is a new car an old car?

When is a new car an old car?

Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

ammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to all
Default When is a new car an old car?

Hi all,
Hope you can help me out. I am new to the country and need to buy a car straight away. 4 kids to lug around so I want a Prado.Is the year of manufacture important or the registration date? If I buy a car today is it considered a year in January 07 or not until July 07 . Things here are different to Ireland!! The dealers all say that the day of registration is the crucial date . Are the being a bit economical with the truth??
Any advice/clarification would be great.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:27 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When is a new car an old car?

Originally Posted by ammer
Hi all,
Hope you can help me out. I am new to the country and need to buy a car straight away. 4 kids to lug around so I want a Prado.Is the year of manufacture important or the registration date? If I buy a car today is it considered a year in January 07 or not until July 07 . Things here are different to Ireland!! The dealers all say that the day of registration is the crucial date . Are the being a bit economical with the truth??

I think the year of manufacture remnains most important. Not sure on the law on how long a ne car can go unregistered bu, for example inthe event of model change, the manufacture date will always be the most important.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

ammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to all

Thanks,
those sneaky dealers were trying to pass one over on the newbie, me thinks!!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:09 am
The Smiths

Glenn Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Hi there,

where are you living because i can recommend a car broker in Brisbane who will do the hard work for u and find the vehicle, year, colour, model etc! price you want to spend. at no cost to you!
Glenn
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:21 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

from my limited knowledge, it is the date of manufacture that is important - you will find it on the equivalent of the VIN plate attached somewhere under the bonnet.

You should get a better price on a 'new' vehicle if manu in say 12/05 than 01/06, but also this will reflect in the price when you come to sell it
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by walaj
from my limited knowledge, it is the date of manufacture that is important - you will find it on the equivalent of the VIN plate attached somewhere under the bonnet.

You should get a better price on a 'new' vehicle if manu in say 12/05 than 01/06, but also this will reflect in the price when you come to sell it
I just bought a Pathfinder.Happy with the price. Knowledge is power.Thanks Guys.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of

It's old once it leaves the showroom...I heard they lose about $5000 once you drive them off the forecourt...Plus more things go wrong with new cars than older, more 'experience' cars...

Moral of the story: NEVER BUY A BRAND SPANKIN' NEW NEW CAR

Also, I don't trust motor dealers, they overcharge...Private sales all the way!

JDT
Old Jul 18th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Date of registration is important, but with a new car check the compliance plate. eg, our new car is June 06 rego, compliance plate May 06 (built in May). Ideally the car should not have been built more than three months ago. New models change per manufacturer - the 07 Subaru Forester is due out Aug/Sept/Oct - not sure about Prado.

S
Old Jul 18th 2006, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdt3000
It's old once it leaves the showroom...I heard they lose about $5000 once you drive them off the forecourt...Plus more things go wrong with new cars than older, more 'experience' cars...

JDT

We bought a new Honda Jazz when we arrived,got a good deal & have seen people advertising second hand ones,same spec,for MORE than we paid new,
Hubby is in the "game" and recons cars here tend to hold their value & thats why you get a lot of people on this site screaming about the price of the second hand ones when they get here,cos there's not much difference with new ones.
All depends, I know, but must say we have a different view point.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:10 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdt3000

JDT
Bought Brand new cars (never paid list price) and never had any probs.
Most cars are covered by 2/3 warranty.