Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to go? Oct, Nov or Jan 2009

When to go? Oct, Nov or Jan 2009

Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about
Default When to go? Oct, Nov or Jan 2009

We are very lucky to have our visa and are now need to decide when to leave the UK.

We have found flights for October and late November. If we leave late November are we leaving it too late to get settled for Christmas? I have 2 small children so want Christmas to be as normal as possible.

If we leave in October will we be in a mass panic for the next 10 weeks?

Or should we just take it slowly and aim for January 2009?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of
Default Re: When to go? Oct, Nov or Jan 2009

We will be there is Oct, we are going to Perth. I think going in Jan from cold to hot will be a bit much. This way we have tim to get used to the heat.

You could always go Nov and get a holiday rental which will mean you don't have to worry about getting a rental so quickly and enjoy xmas on the beach!!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

I've told the hubbie that I won't have to buy any winter clothes for me or the kids if we leave in October and it will save him ££££!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:08 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definatley come October time, you will have time to adjust to the heat before it kicks in big style and especially for the children with them being young. Plus the added bonus is you can buy loads of swim wear, t-shirts and shorts etc in the sales before you come, as summer will be over in the UK by then.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:39 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I would come when the flights are cheapest
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

do you have a job to come to?? if not November might be leaving it to late in the calendar year as jobs dry up over the xmas/summer period.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

My husband has a job already. I am worried about the rentals drying up and ending up in a hotel room for xmas with 2 kids!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

i think october. that way you will be settled for christmas, flights are much cheaper than late nov/dec. we would be doing it that way if we could just sell the hose! i want to be out sooner rather than later as i have 2 small kids and want them to start school at the begining of there school year.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I think we are going for the October flight.

We have 2 small children too and wanted to arrive before the school year. We have decided to rent our house now - the stress begins again now whether it will rent or not.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

If you can manage it in 10 weeks then go for it. You should have a better chance at finding employment and rentals in October than late November or January but it will be hard going and you won't have your last Christmas in the UK.

Good luck.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Port Pirie is pretty hot, better to get there earlier and accilimatise, as per previous posts Jan is the hottest month in Aus and possibly the coldest in the UK so that would be the most extreme difference.

I am taking it your OH has a job at the smelter in Pirie? Have you visited there before? Do you know much about the place? It is a pretty unusual choice of location to emigrate too. I don't want to rain on your parade, but it is not a very appealing place to the majority of Aussies let alone someone from the UK.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I would aim for October/November.

January is very hot and it will give you time to get used to the temperatures.

Also flights will be expensive in January. Also as Jan is kids holidays short term accomodation (hotels etc) may be more likely to be booked.

Gems
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

I'd go for Jan 8th.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by Burkins
We are very lucky to have our visa and are now need to decide when to leave the UK.

We have found flights for October and late November. If we leave late November are we leaving it too late to get settled for Christmas? I have 2 small children so want Christmas to be as normal as possible.

If we leave in October will we be in a mass panic for the next 10 weeks?

Or should we just take it slowly and aim for January 2009?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
We have decided to on November. It would be nice to spend one last Christmas with the family but then it would be more toys to ship! It also means I can get the kids into school for a few weeks where they can hopefully make some friends to play with in the holidays.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

we are aiming for end of spe maybe early oct but preferably sep just to get used to the heat and get settled before xmas hope this helps

and good luck with what ever you do we too are aiming at perth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.