When to Go

Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to Go

Ready for a long one.....

We are just at the stage of submitting our 139 application - hopefully later this month. Now the difficult decisions start. Mrs H may be about to be made redundant - about half of the people at her place are going to be sacked and they are only getting statutory redundancy pay which is not a lot

The good news is I have found her another job So far all her jobs have been found by me - if only I could find a decent job for me as well....Actually I do have a decent job, but that doesn't really come into it. Anyway, the new job is only for one year (doesn't really matter too much as we would go at the end of it), but the salary is siginifcantly less as are holidays/benefits etc. If she toook it she would feel obliged to stay for the full 12 months - and this is also important for future job references (she would be working in collaboration with her old boss and wouldn't want to piss him off by leaving early)

If she stays where she is, there is a 50ish% chance of her keeping her current job and then the money might run out in another 6 months time (or not), and we would aim to go when the visa came through, hopefully around September/October time. If she is unlucky she would be out of a job from the end of March and that will cost us quite a few £k over the next 6 months or so until we get the visa and sell the house. Also our house is a classic English country cottage, so ideally we would want to sell in the Summer when it looks its best and we would most likely get the most for it.

We also have two kids, one of whom is due to start at school in September, so we don't want him starting and then us going straight away. Then my Mum has had a bit of a health scare recently, but everything is ok now so this makes you think a bit about when to go. My Mum and Dad are very keen for us to go so this is not directly a problem, but you do think a lot when your folks are ill.

We have been looking into seriously going for about a year, but it has taken time to get all the bits in place and evrything sorted re sponsorship etc etc. So I am starting to think that we should just get on and go.

Help

Any thoughts on my ramble

Thanks

Alastair
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: When to Go

Originally Posted by Al H
Any thoughts on my ramble

Thanks

Alastair
Al

....the million dollar question!. At the end of the day its up to you guys but as we're the same visa subclass and in similar circumstances I thought I may offer you my 2p worth. Get the visa, get the UK job, validate the visa via a holiday/recce and move when you're ready. How old are the kids? can sympathise with the schooling issue but ours are 5 and 16months so not such an issue for us for a few years.

Bit spooky your post as I just went for an interview in Cambridge a few weeks ago and got the job. Will be moving to your area in May, hopefully to Barrington if we get the house we want (rental). Anywhere near you? Had our meds in Cambridge last week and have put a post on the Immigration forum which you may want to read.

all the best
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When to Go

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
Al

....the million dollar question!. At the end of the day its up to you guys but as we're the same visa subclass and in similar circumstances I thought I may offer you my 2p worth. Get the visa, get the UK job, validate the visa via a holiday/recce and move when you're ready. How old are the kids? can sympathise with the schooling issue but ours are 5 and 16months so not such an issue for us for a few years.

Bit spooky your post as I just went for an interview in Cambridge a few weeks ago and got the job. Will be moving to your area in May, hopefully to Barrington if we get the house we want (rental). Anywhere near you? Had our meds in Cambridge last week and have put a post on the Immigration forum which you may want to read.

all the best
Thanks Craig

I guess what got us really thinking was the job offer wasn't as good as we had hoped, so why hang around? However, if Mrs H takes it then we can plan everything to happen in a year's time and know exactly where we stand. That I guess is the main bit of the question.

We are in Great Shelford, 4 miles south of Cambridge centre, so only about 6 miles from Barrington. It's a nice part of the country so you will like it around there.

Thanks for the adice re medicals. We had thought that we would go to the Nuffield - I cycle past it every day on the way to work, but it's good to hear that you were well looked after

Alastair