Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When Fantasy stops being funny.

When Fantasy stops being funny.

Old May 16th 2003, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default When Fantasy stops being funny.

I just replied very strongly to another post and hope that everybody here with kids gets the chance to read it. So I have decided to make it a Post of its own.

Most people living in OZ/NZ get a giggle out of some of the fantasy that goes on in the UK about the "Dream life".. However several times now I have read posts indicating that people think their children will be a lot safer here especially in the way of Sex Abusers, Pedophiles or whatever you want to call these sickos.

Well you are WRONG.

We have Pedophiles, people who steal children from their beds, people who pick up kids in their cars. people who prowl schools. People who lurk in school toilets, People who rape, murder, abuse & abduct children babies and teens. These people live in our streets, work in our schools, just the same as they do in the UK.

I am a Mum, I would take no less care with my kids here than in UK or USA.

Why anybody should think we are any different to the rest of the world is totally beyond my comprehension.

Unrealistic ideas about OZ/NZ in this matter, could end up with somebodies kids going through some sort of Hell.

I dont care if people dont like this post but it is TRUE and I bet my ass every Doctor, Police officer, Teacher, Social Worker and Parent in OZ would tell you so.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When Fantasy stops being funny.

Yes was'nt it only the other week they let some multiple affending sicko out of jail early even though he had no remorse and was living in Brisbane next to a school with the media chasing after him for a few days. Its all gone quiet now god knows whats he's getting up to. Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

I support the dreamers in general and a change is good for everybody but if you wont crime free streets, smiling happy faces and to escape from the realities of life go to Disney Land.

Originally posted by dotty
I just replied very strongly to another post and hope that everybody here with kids gets the chance to read it. So I have decided to make it a Post of its own.

Most people living in OZ/NZ get a giggle out of some of the fantasy that goes on in the UK about the "Dream life".. However several times now I have read posts indicating that people think their children will be a lot safer here especially in the way of Sex Abusers, Pedophiles or whatever you want to call these sickos.

Well you are WRONG.

We have Pedophiles, people who steal children from their beds, people who pick up kids in their cars. people who prowl schools. People who lurk in school toilets, People who rape, murder, abuse & abduct children babies and teens. These people live in our streets, work in our schools, just the same as they do in the UK.

I am a Mum, I would take no less care with my kids here than in UK or USA.

Why anybody should think we are any different to the rest of the world is totally beyond my comprehension.

Unrealistic ideas about OZ/NZ in this matter, could end up with somebodies kids going through some sort of Hell.

I dont care if people dont like this post but it is TRUE and I bet my ass every Doctor, Police officer, Teacher, Social Worker and Parent in OZ would tell you so.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

whocares is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read this forum for a very long time, purely for information purposes. Not just the Aus/NZ forum but all of them. Dotty, and a few others are the only people who have a screw fully tightened, the rest have a screw loose.

My fiancee is moving from Canada to be with me here in the UK. I can't move because I have a son from a previous relationship.

To be blunt, you are ALL grown ups for christs sake. You're all qualifing for immigration to another country. That isn't something some loser from the street can do.

<Unacceptable language snipped by moderator>

For your information, I am 22, I have a good job in the UK, I have a nice house, I have NEVER been a victim of crime, minus the odd time when I brought it on myself.

I spent nearly 2 years dealing with the NHS when my son was born. Not once was in a dirty hospital. Not once did I encounter a doctor/nurse who couldn't speak English. Not once have I encountered anything you people describe.

I do NOT live in a posh area, I have the kids out at night round the shops etc, I have the car crime, I have the fights. But, this does not just happen to EVERYONE in EVERY CITY in the UK.

LONDON IS *NOT* and I repeat, NOT the UK.

They are fleeing a country where they may be murdered for SAYING something. I know, full well, some are here to take advantage of the system. But you people are selling your houses here for £100K+ and going to a country 12000 miles away because you don't LIKE what is happening to YOUR own country.

You all bitch the UK was a great country 'back in the day'. Well, your generation are the ones who should have kept it that way. You can't say, "I'm 40, I don't like what the UK has become".

<Unacceptable language snipped by moderator> Well it was your generation who did it, not mine.

I'm English, I'm British and I'm proud. <Unacceptable language snipped by moderator>

In summary, <Unacceptable language snipped by moderator>, we don't want you here, and contrary to popular belief, not EVERYONE in the UK lives in a life of poverty where they can't walk down the street without being mugged/raped/molested by a 40 yr old male in a trenchcoat.

(Dotty, that wasn't at you, I just very, very much agree with your 'crusade' to educate people, trouble is, <Unacceptable language snipped by moderator>)

PS: I apolgise for the language, I realise kids may read this, I thought it would censor it. I'll manually do it now...... done. :-)

Note from moderator to poster: Either use civilized language or risk having your post(s) deleted

Last edited by whocares; May 16th 2003 at 11:24 pm.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Dotty,

I don't often agree with your posts as i feel you often do try do promote an overly negative view of australia.

However.....i do feel you are correct here. Crime, expecially with regards to childeren should be regarded with the same caution whereever you are, be it in Oz, Nz or the UK.

Pete.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:20 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

And I'm sure that the parents on the forum, including myself, will continue to watch over their children wherever they are in the world.

Perhaps the previous poster was pointing out that part of their individual dream was that when they emigrate they will no longer have a known sicko 2 doors down.

I can appreciate your comments Dotty, but I really don't think that any of us would cease watching over our children just because we are "living the dream"

Steph
Old May 16th 2003, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

PS: I apolgise for the language, I realise kids may read this, I thought it would censor it. I'll manually do it now...... done. :-)
Just because you put *** do you think kids will not understand? There is no need to use such language in these posts.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

OK, I do apologise for the language. But the point is, if kids read this, why is it any different to them reading bad language to reading VERY negative reports about the country where they were born.

A kid from the age of 5 upwards will get the general idea of what people are saying. All I ever read on forums is people slagging each other off. Sure, these forums are SUPPOSED to be helpful, and sometimes they are, which is why most people read them.

I bet this forum has 100 times the number of readers as it does posters. And most people stay away because it's just pointless posting here, and I have to agree. I have just wasted 1/2 hour of my life being 'annoyed' at some people on the internet.

It's not RIGHT to slag off your country of birth, and say Aus/USA/Canada is 'better'.

You are not happy in your own lives, don't slag off the 'UK' or say X is a whole £2 more expensive in the UK as it is in X, or crime in this part of Z is a lot better than this part of Y. The only reason any of you are having a BETTER LIFE, with the ODD exception, is because you are cashing in a house you have in the UK. You'd be nowhere if you didn't have that house.

Money isn't EVERYTHING you know.

Last edited by whocares; May 16th 2003 at 11:45 pm.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:45 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by whocares
OK, I do apologise for the language. But the point is, if kids read this, why is it any different to them reading bad language to reading VERY negative reports about the country where they were born.

A kid from the age of 5 upwards will get the general idea of what people are saying. All I ever read on forums is people slagging each other off. Sure, these forums are SUPPOSED to be helpful, and sometimes they are, which is why most people read them.

I bet this forum has 100 times the number of readers as it does posters. And most people stay away because it's just pointless posting here, and I have to agree. I have just wasted 1/2 hour of my life being 'annoyed' and some people on the internet.

It's not RIGHT to slag off your country of birth, and say Aus/USA/Canada is 'better'.

You are not happy in your own lives, don't slag off the 'UK' or say X is a whole £2 more expensive.

Money isn't EVERYTHING you know.
So where did you/are you emigrating from to? And why?

Of course....im just wondering why your looking on these forums at all if your not doing the above?
Old May 16th 2003, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

I said that. My Fiancee is moving from Canada to the UK............
Old May 16th 2003, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

simonsays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whocares
I said that. My Fiancee is moving from Canada to the UK............
don't take this forum seriously. just a laugh. hell, if you took PB seriously, noone would ever visit Australia to live or even as a tourist!
Old May 16th 2003, 11:49 pm
A Male Member

Oh right ok.

Just as long as you realise that this is the Australia/New Zealand forum.

I think the Canada/returning to the UK forum is just down the hall to the left. You may find this room a bit more useful to someone in your circumstances.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

No, I know full well this is the Aus forum, but the premise is the same.

It's kinda 'enlightening' to read why people leave the UK, and advise ANYONE NOT to come here.......

I do take PB with a whole bag of salt, I don't take what he says seriously, but others do, and that is the point! They CONSTATNLY shoot down the UK, and it ain't right!!
Old May 16th 2003, 11:59 pm
A Male Member

I love the UK, im proud to be British and i always will be. If i had never married an Aussie i would never have even dreamed of moving to oz, or even taking a holiday there.

However, i love the outdoors, and when i visited the place it just made me realise how much more seclusion and space it is possible to have out there. Britain just is'nt big enough for me

People leave the UK for lots of different reasons, maybe they have personally had bad experiences, or maybe they are just following thier particular dreams. I can see nothing wrong with it, why can you?

I see very few people on here actually advising people not to visit the UK. I think you will find that those who are, are simply attempting to goad PB who is constantly doing the same for australia, and is moving back to the UK himself....if u see what i mean...
Old May 17th 2003, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

But the point is, if kids read this, why is it any different to them reading bad language to reading VERY negative reports about the country where they were born.
Probably because parents dont want their kids to be reading that sort of language. Its bad enough they hear it / use it at school.

I bet this forum has 100 times the number of readers as it does posters. And most people stay away because it's just pointless posting here, and I have to agree. I have just wasted 1/2 hour of my life being 'annoyed' at some people on the internet.
Your point is quite valid, I also think a number of people do not post because they are afraid of the negative response they will receive. Sadly there are some people on this board who take attacks to personal levels. I am not talking harmless banter like "your an idiot" but personal levels like "bitch" etc.

As for UK I dont think its better or worse than anyplace else, just want a bit of adventure before ending up in my box. !!

Last edited by karawara88; May 17th 2003 at 12:12 am.
Old May 17th 2003, 3:01 am
Keelie

Why should anyone have to defend their honest opinions? The foul-mouthed poster feels entitled to 'let er rip' so why the need to try and control the thoughts and opinions of others with derision and insults ?

These boards offer people the opportunity to share thoughts and concerns in a civilized manner. There's a place for negativity, it's not always a 'bad' thing to question what seems like delusional thinking...

What I have a hard time understanding is the kind of mind-set that seems to take great joy in talking down to people who are trying so hard to make a better life for their families.
Gad, life is difficult enough, and people have enough sadness and hurt to cope with these days.
A Jewish friend once told me that the worst thing that one person can do to another is to 'rain on their parade'.

Ah well, some of these posts seem to have been written in a state of high excitement, and low logic. 22 years old did you say..really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.