Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When does the leaving feeling hit home

When does the leaving feeling hit home

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:24 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Default When does the leaving feeling hit home

Question: When does the feeling that it’s finally happening hit?
We’re leaving in a week and the Party is planned for this weekend. We have been saying goodbye to people for weeks and it still has not hit home that I’m leaving the UK for good! I know we’re working like dogs to finalise things but eevn so this can’t be right, can it?

Am I odd? I now don’t think it will feel as if it’s a final move until January and quite time in Sydney

Thoughts and comments appreciated

Dinky

Leave for Sydney on the 1st November and arrive, via America, on the 19th November
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:26 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

For me it saying goodbye and take off. No going back then. Family and wife was in tears.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:29 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
For me it saying goodbye and take off. No going back then. Family and wife was in tears.
Mmmm, family want to come to Heathrow and say goodbye. Not sure about that as you could be right. Reminds me of my Mum and Sister being it bits as I went off to Uni all those years ago!

Dinky
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:34 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Its starting to sink in now for me. 5 weeks to go, and i think it "clicked" when i finish work.

As Bondi says though......the airport can't be good. When i left for 8 months my mum was crying. Hate to think what it will be like this time
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When does the leaving feeling hit home

Originally posted by Dinky
We’re leaving in a week and the Party is planned for this weekend. We have been saying goodbye to people for weeks and it still has not hit home that I’m leaving the UK for good! I know we’re working like dogs to finalise things but eevn so this can’t be right, can it?

Am I odd? I now don’t think it will feel as if it’s a final move until January and quite time in Sydney

Dinky

Leave for Sydney on the 1st November and arrive, via America, on the 19th November
Thank god I'm not the only one,we were only talking about this yesterday we don't seem to have any emotions at all,maybe because we are so busy finalising things tying up loose ends etc.
Saying that though I got some snide comments from somewhere last night and it has just strengthened my resolve to make it no matter what.Nothing and nobody will stop me now from doing something I should have done 18 years ago.

We have less than 2 weeks before we fly out to Perth.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:46 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Mmmm, family want to come to Heathrow and say goodbye. Not sure about that as you could be right. Reminds me of my Mum and Sister being it bits as I went off to Uni all those years ago!

Dinky
Heathrow's bad enough to get through without any other distractions! We said goodbye the previous night and then took a taxi in the morning. MUCH easier all round for us.

Still, diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes. It all depends on what suits YOU. (My opinion, which is free and worth exactly what you paid for it - this is a good time to be selfish and decide on what suits the emigrees best.)
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:47 pm

Dinky
The hardest thing is getting away from them all to have time to hit the duty free shop. You feel like a total ******.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Dinky

I really am feeling the 'it's happening' bit now. After all the excitement of getting our visa has died down a bit, I feel quite 'down' about the actual leaving bit now - and even burst into tears at work yesterday (how sad)! I am putting my foot down about the airport - a definite no no for family. I just can't wait to actually leave & get on with it - all these weeks of emotional goodbyes are taking their toll. Oh & I'm pretty glad I can more or less ignore the Christmas hype this year!

Roll on 1st December!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We were OK at our leaving do, probably because we were so up beat and positive and excited about the impending move, however the morning we left was a different matter all together.

We were living with my Mum and had hired a car to drive to Heathrow from the NE of England. Our closest friends came to wave us off..........and that was it. We exchanged really personal momentos ...which I couldn't look at for crying. We all cried on and off for the whole 7 hour journey. So for us it wan't until we were on the road to the airport that it really hit us WE WERE REALLY EMIGRATING.

Gill and Rob
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 11:56 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

The leaving feeling didn't really hit us until a couple of days before we left the UK - washing up one evening and that was it - couldn't stop crying all evening then - but I guess it had to come out. We have been here 3 months now and it sis urprising how fast those feelings of "oh my god what are we doing" disappear. Early days I know but missing much at all.

Just go with the flow of emotions - its all part of the emigrating process. Good luck.

Dawn
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Dinky

It was definitely the day we left. Saying goodbye to my brother & niece. Then the cat, knowing I'd never see him again. Finally the airport and saying goodbye to mum and dad. Plane taking off, looking out of the window wondering when, or even if you'll ever see the UK again.

Then the feeling of relief as the plane climbed to over 14,000 feet and out of range of the shoulder launched SAM missiles that were supposedly going to be used on an attack at Heathrow at the time.

Then, order some G&Ts, start drinking and let the adventure commence...
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Didn't really hit me till I was actually here and on the way to my brothers house. I was thinking "Well, this is it this is my new home now - shit!!"

Diane
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:30 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I can remember lying in the MASSIVE bed at a hotel in singapore...(to say they are all so tiny you would think they would make the beds tiny.. they know how large the rest of the world is then!!!)
thinking ... I feel a bit in limbo here.
It didn't hit me until we actually arrived at Perth airport. Then for a few weeks afterwards I would suddenly stop and think "oh my god, I'am in Australia" It wasn't a pleasant feeling either, more like a panic attack
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I arrived here straight from North America, it was the 90's but people had frizzy hippy hair, batik clothing, bare feet, all I could think of was the hippies you had heard about in the UK. It was so weird, like being in a era you had heard of but never seen. I wanted to run, honestly run back to the airport. I would have given anything to have gone, but we only had $800 bucks between us but I can still remember feeling like I had taken a big hippy overdose of something.

Fortunately things have moved on a bit now tho
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 4:58 am

Originally posted by dotty
I arrived here straight from North America, it was the 90's but people had frizzy hippy hair, batik clothing, bare feet, all I could think of was the hippies you had heard about in the UK. It was so weird, like being in a era you had heard of but never seen. I wanted to run, honestly run back to the airport. I would have given anything to have gone, but we only had $800 bucks between us but I can still remember feeling like I had taken a big hippy overdose of something.

Fortunately things have moved on a bit now tho
Did you prefer North America or Oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.