Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When does it get dark down under ?

When does it get dark down under ?

Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: When does it get dark down under ?

I'm in Melbourne - winter sucks BIG time. Dark at 5pm sun up at what seems to be 8am to me I get really fed up with it during the winter but then comes spring and summer. Sun's up at 5:30 and goes down at 9-10pm (when daylight savings kicks in) - love it!
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:03 pm
Fronting the Parole Board

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
If you can not find the right buttons on your man-servant, perhaps a Remote-Control Curtain Drawer?
Hmm, thats not a bad idea......... perhaps I could adapt the TV remote, which is grafted onto the end of his arm, so that it opens the curtains.......
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:12 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassie
anyone emigrating to Tasmania?. twilight down there till 9/9.30 during the sumnmer!
yeeha you just made my day yes we are off to tas all this getting dark at 6 was getting me down now i will think of you all whilst i sit outside with my glass of chardonnay until 9.30pm
Old Sep 30th 2004, 6:57 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

How about a compromise.........

All those living in the UK wanting to come to AUS for the long sunny evenings can change their clocks and those that don't care do not!

I am with Pollyana.....being a night owl here is a pain in the backside, so are the birds, at least in the UK I knew it was time to get off the computer when the birds sang just before dawn, here it is all crazy times!

There is terrific nightlife in Sydney and seasons/dusk/dawn do not change that.....in the burbs again seasons/dusk/dawn do not change opening times for restaurants.....some close at 9.00 end of story!!! And others stay open so choose your moments for going to your local fav.

But can I give my personal opinion, although very very hot at times, this isn't the med there is not alot of adjustment in working times to the heat so you do 9-5 for the most part. As a night person I do not see my home in daylight Mon-Fri for six months because I do not get up to spend an hour before I go to work, so I come home in the dark.

What I do enjoy is the colder dry winter (cause most of Sydneys rainfall is in the 'summer' months) so you adapt.

I now enjoy camping in Autumn and Spring, Winter too cold once you are used to it and Summer too hot.

I enjoy a brazier - and sit outside cause I have no issue with mozzies - they bite me and die! The rest of the family who all suffer every bite spray on bushmans and still enjoy.

I have garden lights - the kids still bounce on the trampoline after dark, and like someone said on this thread we also get in the pool after dark.

We get board games out and play them...but we do that regardless of having a light night!

We honestly do not notice the darker nights in terms of trying to do things now....cause my hubby has 2/3 days off a week. While he worked 9-5 nothing got done till he had a weekend off - (1/4). I was very depressed through it and you should consider how it does affect you and not just blame being in AUS, the pattern you had before might not be the pattern you have now and it can be a considerable change.

If you are waiting for a life because of the light nights and late sunshine in Aus then in someways you may be disappointed....cause if you waited for nine months in the UK for that for a life and didn't do anything in between what makes you think here will be different!!!!

Oh well.....must go to bed soon...it it 4.00am my time!

obviously all of the above is only my thoughts
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:43 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hmm, thats not a bad idea......... perhaps I could adapt the TV remote, which is grafted onto the end of his arm, so that it opens the curtains.......
Polly,
I /he calls it wife!

Bye
Mark

Last edited by markeh; Sep 30th 2004 at 7:54 pm. Reason: wrong word used!
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:45 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
WHEN did i slag off the UK? NEVER have done.
YOU get YOUR facts right before posting your usual BULLSH!T.
Im not assuming you post bull,as far as im concerned you do & attacked what was an innocent reply to a thread.
Donna.
hi Donna, i think monkey boy wast talking about a thread where malcom had posted. The one about things u would miss. We were having a laugh but some people took it the wrong way. Anyway who cares !!!
hope things are a bit better for u this week and u are back on track.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 10:16 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
hi Donna, i think monkey boy wast talking about a thread where malcom had posted. The one about things u would miss. We were having a laugh but some people took it the wrong way. Anyway who cares !!!
hope things are a bit better for u this week and u are back on track.

Yip, things are not too bad thanx!, finally got the report back-cow even posted it second class!came on Sat morn! now all been sent off to Adelaide so should be there by middle next week.
Had a steady stream of new viewings for the house,couple coming back tomorrow for a second viewing so fingers crossed!
Just feelin a bit flat at the moment,cant quite get with it!
Donna.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 10:39 pm

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Polly,
I /he calls it wife!

Bye
Mark
Problem is you see Mark, The Bloke is a Queenslander, and they don't like having the curtains open cos it "fades the furniture"....after 11 months in the dark, I feel like a mole! And the Remote Control is clutched tightly in his hands - I only get possession an hour a week, during "Casualty"! Bit like being a Hunter-Gatherer in the old days I think, it makes him feel powerful!!
Old Sep 30th 2004, 11:41 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

THE CURTAINS OPENED!! Michelle, are you listening! Its is being suggested that curtains can be opened in Qld!!!
Nope I simply don't believe it. Piff paff
Old Sep 30th 2004, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Nope I simply don't believe it. Piff paff
I know, scary concept isn't it. Mentioned it to The Bloke and he looked frightened.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 11:47 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I know, scary concept isn't it. Mentioned it to The Bloke and he looked frightened.

Mine would run a mile I think. Though as the only person home during the day at the moment, I kinda get a vito

Finding it really hard to type today; went to Body Combat for the first time last night (something you can do all year round!!) and I'm paying for it today!
Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:04 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

"Night Owls" can adjust their peak alertness hours (often 7-10 pm) to earlier hours by exposing themselves to more sunlight earlier in the day.

For example, sit outside (in shade is OK) with the moring wake-up coffee / tea, have non-blockout curtains or blinds in the bedroom or open thm a chink, so your circadian rythm aligns with daytime not with the clock.

Teenagers, especially, tend to be night owls or, rather "Evening Owls". This leaves them groggy during the daytime classes - when they should be most alert.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is you see Mark, The Bloke is a Queenslander, and they don't like having the curtains open cos it "fades the furniture"....after 11 months in the dark, I feel like a mole! And the Remote Control is clutched tightly in his hands - I only get possession an hour a week, during "Casualty"! Bit like being a Hunter-Gatherer in the old days I think, it makes him feel powerful!!

You need a Snag Not sure if its the right country for one, but after 2 weeks of school holiday child care duties while fitting in work I have new respect for women.

Oh and does anyone know how to get chewing gum off a latte coloured suede sofa before my hunting and gathering bits are cut off.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You need a Snag Not sure if its the right country for one, but after 2 weeks of school holiday child care duties while fitting in work I have new respect for women.

Oh and does anyone know how to get chewing gum off a latte coloured suede sofa before my hunting and gathering bits are cut off.
You could try http://www.chewing-gum-removal.com

I've got it out before by freezing the gum.

Look at these tips: http://www.tipking.com/tip/4451.html

Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You could try http://www.chewing-gum-removal.com

I've got it out before by freezing the gum.

Look at these tips: http://www.tipking.com/tip/4451.html
I just want to get it out before the wife gets home :scared:

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.