Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When does it get dark down under ?

When does it get dark down under ?

Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does it get dark down under ?

Originally Posted by cresta57
Loads of people do just that here. You see lots of people out walking at 5am as it's cooler then. We start work at 6.30/7am [well we sometimes do ] and finish earlier in the afternoon. We go to bed nice and early too but that's another story

You lot are trying hard to put me off aren't you. What with all the spiders crawling all over me and getting up at silly o'clock, oh and cockroaches flying into my beer at 9am - sorry guys - still coming.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

In brissie in Dec I noticed that people do get up a lot earlier but I reckon that is due to some very, very noisy birds.
My friends kids still played outside even if the dark and we still swam in the lit pool. Maybe dark but still warm!
Agree though I will miss the long light evenings, why don't they do daylight saving there must be another reason (apart from the curtains).
Cheers
Kaz
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:47 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Outdoor life is important to me, so......right now in Southern England it's getting dark at 6.30pm and will be getting dark earlier and earlier.......ending up being dark at 4pm 9and earlier) in deepest winter.

However, in summer it can be nice and light at 10pm......so when it's dry we have nice long days....which seemed to be few and far between this summer.

So....how early/late does it get dark through the seasons if living in Sydney/Brisbane areas ?

Playing golf/fishing/football after work "in the light" is something that just makes me happy and what I want to do more and more with my boys.

In the UK during the winter that isn't going to happen aside indoor footy.......and even during the day in summer isn't often as it's usually pissing down.
When you shut your eyes
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

I did really miss the long evenings on the terraces in the evening in Qld...

However, I ejoyed (yes i promise) getting up with the sun at 5 am, going for a walk on the beach or a surf before work. I am more of a morning person though, so i did heaps of things in the early morning. You can actually even do your washing and it will be dry before you go to work!!!

I still had my glass of wine on the terrace outside, but it was much earlier, at around 5-6 pm! and I went to bed at 9 pm at the latest.

I missed the evenings, but i changed my life around and started enjoying the early morning instead... it's all about attitude!

fabie
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:50 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
Sorry, l was being an arsehole.
Hey Kong

Are you Mel Gibson or Tony Blair or both

Walla
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
In brissie in Dec I noticed that people do get up a lot earlier but I reckon that is due to some very, very noisy birds.
My friends kids still played outside even if the dark and we still swam in the lit pool. Maybe dark but still warm!
Agree though I will miss the long light evenings, why don't they do daylight saving there must be another reason (apart from the curtains).
Cheers
Kaz
They had a vote once on Daylight Saving here, and the reasons against it genuinely were that the people thought all their furniture would fade in the extra sun, and - honestly - the cows would be confused and stop giving milk.

People do seem to generally get moving earlier - The Bloke is up and about by 6 am even at weekends, during the week its 5am - I hasten to add I am NOT up that early EVER!!! He is often out walking - as are many others - by 5.30am, also washing the car and stuff. Mad, absolutely barking!
Mind you, the barking is another reason for being up early, as not just the birds but all the local hounds are up early too and its like a zoo!
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Cheers
Kaz
We got used to the early dark evenings in Singapore ,( 7-7.30pm) as you say it didn't stop us using the pool with lights on. The kids thought it great fun to have a BBQ by the pool in the dark and have a play time. It cooled down a little but the humidity was still high.
You do adapt your lifestyle is all I'm saying
When went to Melbourne in summer, it got dark by 9pm.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Blimey, will I have to start getting up at 4am and going to bed at 8pm :scared:
That is exactly what a lot of people do, its light and blaring sun by 4.30 am in summer, but its probably the coolest part of the day. Nights can be very muggy and sticky but for some reason around 4am to 6am its nice, people walk, swim, garden and until laws stopped us people started work by 6am to try and lessen the hours later on in the heat But the disadvantage is young children, its just about impossible to get them to sleep in so those looking for more time with the kids, youll get it usually around 5am.

Edit, just realised I missed a whole page of posts and cresta had said most of above. Schools can finish anywhere from 2.45 to 4.30, majority around 3pm.
Another one of the big reasons people did not want daylight saving was the heat, people just dont want another hour of it at the end of the day, an argument I dont understand as in summer, nights often remain hot and humid and in the high 20's anyway, heat relief comes from the storms not getting dark. Creatures are very noisy, birds in particular, in the eveings the cicadas get going both can be very annoying and theres nothing you can do to shut them up. None of this really worries me, after a day of work in summer, I am totally exhausted, its quick shower/swim, race into the AC drink 3 litres of water to rehydrate and just pass out really. This evenings outside thing is not really an aussie thing anyway, mozzies hit at dusk as do sandflies, unless you fancy an evening covered in insectecide its far nicer inside with a cold beer and the airconditioning on full lovely blast.

Last edited by jad n rich; Sep 29th 2004 at 8:06 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:57 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Perhaps this will help:

The image below gives the present location of day and night on the earth. The white area on the map are those locations in day; the grey indicates twilight; and the black is night.

Day-Night Location
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:06 am
Banned

Kendonakasaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Perhaps this will help:

The image below gives the present location of day and night on the earth. The white area on the map are those locations in day; the grey indicates twilight; and the black is night.

Day-Night Location
Wow, that's cool!!
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:35 am
Just Joined

SEAL is an unknown quantity at this point

So...........do people do a shift in their pattern of activities and do more things early in the day....?.........
I can understand people shifting their daily 'pattern' but do the bars etc.. close earlier because everyone goes to bed earlier or at the other end of the day do the gyms etc. for example open at 5am for example because everyone is up (well not quite everyone)?

In Brissie do people really get into the CBD at say 6/7 am and then leave at 2/3pm so to do the usual afterwork activites before it gets dark or does it depend what you do!?

S.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:41 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEAL
I can understand people shifting their daily 'pattern' but do the bars etc.. close earlier because everyone goes to bed earlier or at the other end of the day do the gyms etc. for example open at 5am for example because everyone is up (well not quite everyone)?

In Brissie do people really get into the CBD at say 6/7 am and then leave at 2/3pm so to do the usual afterwork activites before it gets dark or does it depend what you do!?

S.
Most of the pubs close here at 9ish the country club shuts at 7 during the week and your hard pressed to find a meal after 8pm.
That's Gympie for you, supposed to be a city as well, 17,000 people and they call it a city
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. I don't like the sound of that.

Thing is.....in the UK, during winter months it's dark when the come home from school let alone when I come home from work so there is zero chance
of playing outside during the long wet winter months.

Is Oz winter this dull in Sydney area???
Don't worry Olibenili - as long as you move to a civilised city like Sydney you will find that there's life after 9pm - in both summer and winter!

In summer it's dark here around 8.30-ish BUT that's no reason to go inside. You can stay outside and eat and drink and not be worried about mozzies. You can also play sport and do all sorts of activities (open air concerts, movies etc) because we do have lighting, you know.

Even in the winter when it gets dark at 5.30-ish you can still eat and drink outside because most restaurants with outside seating also have outside heating. (You know - those patio heater things that you use in the UK summer to keep warm, we use in the winter). And our winters are invariably dry so kids usually get a couple of hours playtime after school.

All in all you get a far better deal here than in Brisbane as you have your daylight hours at a usable time of day. Also doesn't get quite so hot at night as long as you stay close to the coast.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

anyone emigrating to Tasmania?. twilight down there till 9/9.30 during the sumnmer!
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Don't worry Olibenili - as long as you move to a civilised city like Sydney you will find that there's life after 9pm - in both summer and winter!

In summer it's dark here around 8.30-ish BUT that's no reason to go inside. You can stay outside and eat and drink and not be worried about mozzies. You can also play sport and do all sorts of activities (open air concerts, movies etc) because we do have lighting, you know.

Even in the winter when it gets dark at 5.30-ish you can still eat and drink outside because most restaurants with outside seating also have outside heating. (You know - those patio heater things that you use in the UK summer to keep warm, we use in the winter). And our winters are invariably dry so kids usually get a couple of hours playtime after school.

All in all you get a far better deal here than in Brisbane as you have your daylight hours at a usable time of day. Also doesn't get quite so hot at night as long as you stay close to the coast.
Thank you for a nice and sensible reply
Sounds like 'cos it's drier, you can be outside longer - just with the lights on !

Some folks on here could learn a bit from you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.