Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When does it get dark down under ?

When does it get dark down under ?

Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does it get dark down under ?

Originally Posted by tony blair
It never gets dark down under. Life is one 24/7 party of sun, BBQs and beaches.

It also never rains and everyone works 5 hour weeks for $5000, no one catches skin cancer or hides in air con rooms throughout the summer in order to stay sane and prevent an early death.
Troll alert...........

I hope you have read through this thread to realise that most everyone thinks you are a pratt. You and your namesake must get on very well telling lies to everyone but fortunately more and more people are seeing through them.

Why do you waste your time with such waffle ?......don't answer. I can't be arsed to read anything you might post from now on.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
When the sun goes down, Einstein.
No need to put the Einstein bit on the end..........that sounds like an insult to me instead of potentially being funny.

If you read my post, I ask through the seasons....

some people have been intelligent enough to analyse the seasons, effects of daylight saving etc......
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:05 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
No need to put the Einstein bit on the end..........that sounds like an insult to me instead of potentially being funny.

some people have been intelligent enough to analyse the seasons, effects of daylight saving etc......
The other thing is that here in Qld there's no long period of twilight as in the U.K. As we're closer to the equator the sun just disappears westward and it's dark in a matter of minutes not like good old blighty where it doesn't really get dark for long when the sun is high in the northern hemisphere.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:06 am
Mel Gibson

Sorry, l was being an arsehole.

Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
Sorry, l was being an arsehole.
Accepted !....(not you being an arsehole, the sorry bit !)

Interesting though that when the sun goes down in some places it's like someone turned all the lights off............twilight in the Uk in summer is nice (when it's not raining)
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:12 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
The other thing is that here in Qld there's no long period of twilight as in the U.K. As we're closer to the equator the sun just disappears westward and it's dark in a matter of minutes not like good old blighty where it doesn't really get dark for long when the sun is high in the northern hemisphere.
Thats very true - its odd that within a few minutes it goes from day to night; takes a while to get used to. At first you expect there to be a nice lingering sunset, then you suddenly realise the sun actually drops at a great rate once it gets near the horizon. Tonight it was pitch black here by 6.15 - yet the Aussies are saying summer is here - I can't get used to it as being dark this early makes my brain think its winter!
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats very true - its odd that within a few minutes it goes from day to night; takes a while to get used to. At first you expect there to be a nice lingering sunset, then you suddenly realise the sun actually drops at a great rate once it gets near the horizon. Tonight it was pitch black here by 6.15 - yet the Aussies are saying summer is here - I can't get used to it as being dark this early makes my brain think its winter!
So...........do people do a shift in their pattern of activities and do more things early in the day....?.........
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:19 am
Banned

Kendonakasaki is an unknown quantity at this point

It never gets dark down under. Life is one 24/7 party of sun, BBQs and beaches.

It also never rains and everyone works 5 hour weeks for $5000, no one catches skin cancer or hides in air con rooms throughout the summer in order to stay sane and prevent an early death.
You really are a bitter and twisted knobhead Kong, do you have any friends?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:19 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing beats these would be migrants who slag off the UK, yet have no real idea about the day to day realities of their "dream" destination.

Assume/dream on.
WHEN did i slag off the UK? NEVER have done.
YOU get YOUR facts right before posting your usual BULLSH!T.
Im not assuming you post bull,as far as im concerned you do & attacked what was an innocent reply to a thread.
Donna.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So...........do people do a shift in their pattern of activities and do more things early in the day....?.........
Blimey, will I have to start getting up at 4am and going to bed at 8pm :scared:
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Nothing beats these would be migrants who slag off the UK, yet have no real idea about the day to day realities of their "dream" destination.

Assume/dream on.
Hey buddy...........I think you better crawl back to where you came from as you have nothing either funny or interesting to add to anything. You're sad.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Strange to see it but I have seen pubs full of people at 9.0am in Queensland.

It really does get dark early and quickly the further north you go. Not only that but everything closes down early as well in the smaller towns.

Not be much time for playing with the kids after school I'm afraid.

G
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Strange to see it but I have seen pubs full of people at 9.0am in Queensland.

It really does get dark early and quickly the further north you go. Not only that but everything closes down early as well in the smaller towns.

Not be much time for playing with the kids after school I'm afraid.

G
Hmmm. I don't like the sound of that.

Thing is.....in the UK, during winter months it's dark when the come home from school let alone when I come home from work so there is zero chance
of playing outside during the long wet winter months.

Is Oz winter this dull in Sydney area???
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Loads of people do just that here. You see lots of people out walking at 5am as it's cooler then. We start work at 6.30/7am [well we sometimes do ] and finish earlier in the afternoon. We go to bed nice and early too but that's another story
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:42 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. I don't like the sound of that.

Thing is.....in the UK, during winter months it's dark when the come home from school let alone when I come home from work so there is zero chance
of playing outside during the long wet winter months.

Is Oz winter this dull in Sydney area???
It also gets dark very early in the summer.

You get later light evenings in the south but nowhere like British summer evenings.

Unless you start work very early. I am not sure what time the schools finish but someone will be able to tell you.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.