British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   When does it get dark down under ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/when-does-get-dark-down-under-257195/)

Olibeneli Sep 28th 2004 10:41 pm

When does it get dark down under ?

Outdoor life is important to me, so......right now in Southern England it's getting dark at 6.30pm and will be getting dark earlier and earlier.......ending up being dark at 4pm 9and earlier) in deepest winter.

However, in summer it can be nice and light at 10pm......so when it's dry we have nice long days....which seemed to be few and far between this summer.

So....how early/late does it get dark through the seasons if living in Sydney/Brisbane areas ?

Playing golf/fishing/football after work "in the light" is something that just makes me happy and what I want to do more and more with my boys.

In the UK during the winter that isn't going to happen aside indoor footy.......and even during the day in summer isn't often as it's usually pissing down.

Pollyana Sep 28th 2004 10:51 pm

Re: When does it get dark down under ?

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Outdoor life is important to me, so......right now in Southern England it's getting dark at 6.30pm and will be getting dark earlier and earlier.......ending up being dark at 4pm 9and earlier) in deepest winter.

However, in summer it can be nice and light at 10pm......so when it's dry we have nice long days....which seemed to be few and far between this summer.

So....how early/late does it get dark through the seasons if living in Sydney/Brisbane areas ?

Playing golf/fishing/football after work "in the light" is something that just makes me happy and what I want to do more and more with my boys.

In the UK during the winter that isn't going to happen aside indoor footy.......and even during the day in summer isn't often as it's usually pissing down.

Brisbane - forget your lovely long evenings; dark by 7-7.30 in the height of summer. I really miss long summer evenings, so make the most of them while you can. In winter its dark about 4.
What I would give for those lovely summer evening outside a pub, pint in hand, still light at 10pm :(

tony blair Sep 28th 2004 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Olibeneli

It never gets dark down under. Life is one 24/7 party of sun, BBQs and beaches.

It also never rains and everyone works 5 hour weeks for $5000, no one catches skin cancer or hides in air con rooms throughout the summer in order to stay sane and prevent an early death.

ABCDiamond Sep 28th 2004 11:01 pm

This link will let you check sunset and sunrise for any area:

http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/geodesy/astro/sunrise.jsp

Tony Blair obviously has NO idea about Australia :)

Originally Posted by tony blair

It also never rains and everyone works 5 hour weeks for $5000, no one catches skin cancer or hides in air con rooms throughout the summer in order to stay sane and prevent an early death.

jayr Sep 28th 2004 11:01 pm

The clsoer to the equaotr the more even the spread of daylight hours across the year. Everywhere on the planet gets the same daylight hours in one year, at the poles this means 6 months of daylight and 6 months of darkness (pretty much) and at the equator it's daylight about 06:00-06:00 all year. Brisbane is about 27 degrees south and therefore summer nights go to about 19:30 (at latest), winter is close to 5pm.

QLD does not have daylight savings for the summer (in case it damages the curtains) so long summer days start early (at around 04:30) rather than finishing late.

Oh and welcome back Kong (TB)

jayr Sep 28th 2004 11:08 pm

Here's another useful site:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...ear=2004&day=1

I checked the equinoxes (which are near to the longest and shortest days) and get the following:

Jun 21 (winter) SR:06:38, SS:19:02

Dec 21 (summer) SR 04:50, SS: 18:43

The latest sunset I could find was 18:48, so no long evenings, ever

Melbourne, being further south and operating daylight savings, has a latest sunset of 20:45

walla Sep 28th 2004 11:52 pm

Kong?

ABCDiamond Sep 29th 2004 12:18 am

Originally Posted by walla1
Kong?

Looks feasible.

Tony Blairs other post is about UK property, which was also close to Kongs heart :) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=50

walla Sep 29th 2004 1:11 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Looks feasible.

Tony Blairs other post is about UK property, which was also close to Kongs heart :) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=50

Tut tut, never thought Kong was a Blair fan ;)

Walla

Pollyana Sep 29th 2004 3:24 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Tony Blair obviously has NO idea about Australia :)

Some say he has no idea about the UK either...... :D

Ceri Sep 29th 2004 3:33 am

1 Attachment(s)
well old Michael and his Mrs seem to like his jokes "ooh Tony you are a card" :

Mel Gibson Sep 29th 2004 6:55 am

When the sun goes down, Einstein.

madsad Sep 29th 2004 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Brisbane - forget your lovely long evenings; dark by 7-7.30 in the height of summer. I really miss long summer evenings, so make the most of them while you can. In winter its dark about 4.
What I would give for those lovely summer evening outside a pub, pint in hand, still light at 10pm :(

Very interesting! i didnt know that, just assumed it would be lighter for longer :o
Donna.

tony blair Sep 29th 2004 7:29 am

Originally Posted by madsad
Very interesting! i didnt know that, just assumed it would be lighter for longer :o
Donna.

Nothing beats these would be migrants who slag off the UK, yet have no real idea about the day to day realities of their "dream" destination.

Assume/dream on.

ABCDiamond Sep 29th 2004 7:50 am

Nothing beats these would be migrants who slag off the UK, yet have no real idea about the day to day realities of their "dream" destination.

Assume/dream on.

It doesn't help with posts like this one:-