Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When does/did it feel real?

When does/did it feel real?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:50 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default When does/did it feel real?

Hi all

Just wondering whilst waiting for our TRA results when the whole fact you are planning to or have emmigrated becomes real?
The moment you start the process?
Getting TRA approval
Getting Visa
Selling house
Getting on the plane etc etc
For me at the moment everything is so surreal cant actually believe we have actually started the process its all a bit of a blur!
So has it actually hit you or am i alone in feeling im living in a surreal world?

Cheers Kris
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future
Default Re: When does/did it feel real?

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Hi all

Just wondering whilst waiting for our TRA results when the whole fact you are planning to or have emmigrated becomes real?
Getting TRA approval
Getting Visa
Selling house
For me at the moment everything is so surreal cant actually believe we have actually started the process its all a bit of a blur!
So has it actually hit you or am i alone in feeling im living in a surreal world?

Cheers Kris
i am already here & it still doesnt feel real !!!

pootle26
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:54 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootle26
i am already here & it still doesnt feel real !!!

pootle26
Oh bugger Surreal world living is quite nice actually!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:58 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We're flying to Melbourne tomorrow and it still doesn't feel real
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kris. It just started to feel real to us once we had sent the main application form away. It took a while for them to take the money and acknowledge but once we had the email from them that was when we thought this is really happening. Hope you hear from TRA soon
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:04 am
Happy Member

Originally Posted by fraser
We're flying to Melbourne tomorrow and it still doesn't feel real

Safe journey Fraser!
You really are an addict arent you

Kris x
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:10 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Safe journey Fraser!
You really are an addict arent you

Kris x
To be honest Kris not that much to do here when you get bored of eating and sun.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:17 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Getting TRA approval
Getting Visa
Selling house

Cheers Kris
The reality and the enormity of it all certainly hits home, make you nervouis inside. Ireckon you just have to have faith in your judgement and keep saying to yourself the reasons you want to go i.e THIS country.

Good luck
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:20 am
Happy Member

To be honest Kris not that much to do here when you get bored of eating and sun.

Fed up of sun never!
We just come back from the laziest holiday ever two weeks lounging round the pool literally!
Oh with quite a bit of alcohol thrown in!

Kris
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:27 am
Now a Citizen. YAY!

Ron888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: When does/did it feel real?

Hi all

Getting TRA approval
Getting Visa
Selling house

Cheers Kris

I know what you mean... I just got my visa approved and having it stamped and I still feel surreal... my best bet when it'll hit you is when you hold that farewell party to friends and family for your flight the next day.. thats gonna be the firm hand of OZ becoming more real...

It may be a bittersweet night but I still look forward to it... Start of a new chapter of your life... aint that grand, feeling hte same surge of excitement when you graduated and had been dubbed ready for the "real world".

Cant wait...

Cheers,
Ron.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:31 am

Fed up of sun never!
We just come back from the laziest holiday ever two weeks lounging round the pool literally!
Oh with quite a bit of alcohol thrown in!

Kris
I'm far too hyper and restless to si around a pool all day and even if I could there's no relaxing with our boys
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: When does/did it feel real?

I'm far too hyper and restless to si around a pool all day and even if I could there's no relaxing with our boys

For me the reality is happening now...having so much to tie up in this country i.e. closing bank accounts, giving notice on flat, contacting suppliers, informing schools, doctor's etc etc. and meeting with friends for the last time (for a while) and of course the biggy (still to come) saying goodbye to family!!!!!
Getting there and settling after this trauma will be a piece of cake!!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:35 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Hi Kris
It will feel more real to you when you get your yes from TRA, as then it hits you that you can actually apply for your visa.
Good luck
hope you hear soon
Carole
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It felt real to me when we arrived and opened bank accounts etc. Until then it just felt like I was going on holiday. This is probably cos we still have our UK house so we had no upheaval.