Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When do you think Australia's house prices will fall

View Poll Results: When will Australia's Housing Bubble pop
Housing Bubble ? Never happen here mate.
14.93%
Q3 2010
5.97%
Q4 2010
10.45%
Q1 2011
23.88%
Q2 2011
8.96%
Q3 2011
5.97%
Q4 2012
7.46%
First half of 2013
4.48%
Second half of 2013
1.49%
I could care less frankly
16.42%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

When do you think Australia's house prices will fall

Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you think Australia's house prices will fall

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Well, the price drops are starting to happen in Perth and anecdotally, Brisbane, which funnily enough are the resource rich states! There are too many variables to say 'when' as many triggers can and will affect our housing market.

Anyhow, I voted Q1 2011 for across the country although prices drops are happening in Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast apartments, high end Sydney apartments, top end suburbs all around the country.
I've seen houses taking longer to sell in inner brisbane sometimes but no evidence of price drops.....sadly
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:21 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.chriswilley.co.uk/news2.aspx?id=10070

The UK is teetering on a big bang...........just how long cn they hold out?

Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: When do you think Australia's house prices will fall

Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:34 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
http://www.chriswilley.co.uk/news2.aspx?id=10070

The UK is teetering on a big bang...........just how long cn they hold out?

I agree. I predict that the UK property prices will crash in Q1 2011 - as soon as the combined budget cuts and VAT hike takes a firm hold.

Australia? No idea really but I think it will happen sooner or later.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:12 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I agree. I predict that the UK property prices will crash in Q1 2011 - as soon as the combined budget cuts and VAT hike takes a firm hold.

Australia? No idea really but I think it will happen sooner or later.
It seems that most of the papers this morning agree with you. The uk is now facing double dip with three months of contraction already and 2011 is predicated as being the worst to come after the public sector job losses and increase in vat amongst other austerity measures.

I'd post links but there's about a hundred articles in the same vein.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:21 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

In the UK, just last month they were reporting a rental shortage... (I wonder if it's still the case?)

Surely with a 'SHORTAGE' + 'DEMAND' scenario - prices can't go down?

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 10th 2010 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Well, the price drops are starting to happen in Perth and anecdotally, Brisbane, which funnily enough are the resource rich states! There are too many variables to say 'when' as many triggers can and will affect our housing market.

Anyhow, I voted Q1 2011 for across the country although prices drops are happening in Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast apartments, high end Sydney apartments, top end suburbs all around the country.
They've dropped in Melbourne as well, since November 2009, to the tune of about 10 to 15 pct. I dont think hardly anyone has noticed, because all that did was wipe out the previous 3 months rise, prices racing ahead so much during that period. It depends on the starting date of this drop as well. If Melbourne falls another 10 to 15 pct over the next 18months there will be hardly any impact.

So I'd say it's possible.

It's when the next rise is due that really difficult to pick... has to happen. It could be sooner than we think.. Last Quarter 2013 maybe for the next boom.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:34 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
In the UK, just last month they were reporting a rental shortage... (I wonder if it's still the case?)

Surely with a 'SHORTAGE' + 'DEMAND' scenario - prices can't go down?

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5609/shortage.jpg
Just 6 months ago the local papers had waaaay more rentals being advertised than houses for sale. Now it's all house sales and just a few rentals . These are interesting times.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:47 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
Just 6 months ago the local papers had waaaay more rentals being advertised than houses for sale. Now it's all house sales and just a few rentals . These are interesting times.
I suspect that all those 'temporary' landlords are now trying to get out.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:55 pm
Banned

I'm sure you're right. Loads of stampedes going on
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:42 am
ABCDiamond

It depends on who they feel is the 'threat' - if it's property prices then they'll happily do that. If it's wages, they will likely increase the rates as they will be targeting workers instead (not all of them have a sizable mortgage - so I'm told).
Good point. With only about 30% of households having mortgages, and many not being the new sizeable mortgages, it is only a small number of people that get really hurt by the rising rates. (Until of course the rates get passed on to tenants in rising rents.)

Something I did notice, back in 1992 when I bought my first Australian house, the average first home buyer had a smaller mortgage than second and subsequent house buyers.
But now in 2010, it has changed round with the first home buyers having the larger mortgages.

Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:53 am
ABCDiamond

Spending on Investment Housing for the 12 months ended.

Apr-1998 $1,912,848,000 -7.92%
Apr-1999 $2,099,633,000 +9.76%
Apr-2000 $2,391,365,000 +13.89%
Apr-2001 $2,784,205,000 +16.43%
Apr-2002 $4,328,983,000 +55.48%
Apr-2003 $5,717,588,000 +32.08%
Apr-2004 $5,774,976,000 +1.00%
Apr-2005 $5,956,741,000 +3.15%
Apr-2006 $5,604,144,000 -5.92%
Apr-2007 $6,498,904,000 +15.97%
Apr-2008 $6,754,019,000 +3.93%
Apr-2009 $6,193,500,000 -8.30%
Apr-2010 $7,643,396,000 +23.41%

Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:14 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

If we settled on a 25% drop across the board in all states as being a pop. I dont see it. So its a no from me.

If we are talking about a drop of 10% well then Q4 2011.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

I reckon a major drop in house prices will happen when unemployment reaches 8- 9% or interest rates go 10%+

But if there is a pop it will not be uniform across the nation, smaller regional areas would be affected more than the major metro areas.

Metro areas like Sydney will definitely fair better than smaller cities like Perth or Brisbane, and even in Sydney some suburbs will stay pretty much static.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

i do not think there will be a pop so to speak

what i do see is more realistic prices which will in effect save you xyz % off of the final price

what i mean by this is when the market was really hot and the property was valued at $500000 for arguments sake

seller tries it on and gets $550000

now that the market is going off the boil seller puts the house up for $500000 and takes $450000

saving of around 20%

not a price crash so to speak more realistic pricing / selling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.