Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When do you think Australia's house prices will fall

View Poll Results: When will Australia's Housing Bubble pop
Housing Bubble ? Never happen here mate.
14.93%
Q3 2010
5.97%
Q4 2010
10.45%
Q1 2011
23.88%
Q2 2011
8.96%
Q3 2011
5.97%
Q4 2012
7.46%
First half of 2013
4.48%
Second half of 2013
1.49%
I could care less frankly
16.42%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

When do you think Australia's house prices will fall

Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default When do you think Australia's house prices will fall

We've had heaps of threads on why Australia's house of cards is going to collapse, but anyone care to name a date ?

I'm going for the 1Q of 2011.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you think Australia's house prices will fall

Originally Posted by Centurion
We've had heaps of threads on why Australia's house of cards is going to collapse, but anyone care to name a date ?

I'm going for the 1Q of 2011.
Can's see it happening for the forseable future but it will happen eventually. Far too much demand in the market and very little new land being made available which is artificially keeping demand high.

It will probably happen when interest rates get a bit higher and immigration levels come down.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I think it'll happen in the next 2 years (by 25%+ in some places) but as for which quater, anyones guess! Still FWIW I had a guess.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 3:35 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's the point really, nobody really knows and everyone has their own ideas on what factors will impact on it happening, but guessing when is half the fun. Besides, someone in March 2011 can always drag this thread out and call me a looser for getting it wrong if I am

But then, I guess getting something wrong has never been a prerequisite for being called that, according to my ex wife.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 3:40 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Have they gone up?
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Where's the not in dollar value terms but gradually erroded by stagnent prices and inflation button? Which is the most likely imo
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Where's the not in dollar value terms but gradually erroded by stagnent prices and inflation button? Which is the most likely imo
..and that will be the best possible result.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
That's the one I would vote for too.

Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's the one I would vote for too.
me too
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:17 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I think it will happen sooner rather than later. Interest rates and mortgage availability will be key indicators.

The employment rate may push interest rates up further, and the financial squeeze is being put on banks meaning that mortgages are less lucrative for them (unless the RBA turns a blind eye to them raising their rates against the RBA).
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
The employment rate may push interest rates up further, and the financial squeeze is being put on banks meaning that mortgages are less lucrative for them (unless the RBA turns a blind eye to them raising their rates against the RBA).
That did happen one month, the RBA held the rate even though they considered raising it, but didn't because the banks did it themselves.

Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:37 pm
ABCDiamond

So far, over 50% reckon the bubble will pop by March 2011, within the next 9 months.

What exactly is the definition of a pop ?

A fall of 5%, 10%, 30%, 60%, 1% ?

Nice read here....
Predicting when the property bubble will pop is bad for your mental health

Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

So far, over 50% reckon the bubble will pop by March 2011, within the next 9 months.

What exactly is the definition of a pop ?

A fall of 5%, 10%, 30%, 60%, 1% ?
Pertinent question, 25% constitues a pop IMHO, and I don't expect it all to occur in the next 9 months. The declines may have begun by then but I'd be amazed if the fall was more than 10% in the next 9 months, perhaps 25% or more over the next 2 years, but its a lottery really.

IMHO the chances of a 25% fall are much greater than a 25% rise, therefore a bad time to enter the market.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 3:15 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

That did happen one month, the RBA held the rate even though they considered raising it, but didn't because the banks did it themselves.
It depends on who they feel is the 'threat' - if it's property prices then they'll happily do that. If it's wages, they will likely increase the rates as they will be targeting workers instead (not all of them have a sizable mortgage - so I'm told).
Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the price drops are starting to happen in Perth and anecdotally, Brisbane, which funnily enough are the resource rich states! There are too many variables to say 'when' as many triggers can and will affect our housing market.

Anyhow, I voted Q1 2011 for across the country although prices drops are happening in Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast apartments, high end Sydney apartments, top end suburbs all around the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.