Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When do you put house up for sale??

When do you put house up for sale??

Old May 27th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light
Default When do you put house up for sale??

Just wondered -
  • Do you wait till you've got visa's?
  • Or put it on before?

Hoping to go jan 08, never sold a house before so not sure how long process takes from sale to moving out etc. Hopefully it should sell quickly (famous last words )
Old May 27th 2007, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

brad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to allbrad is a name known to all
Default Re: When do you put house up for sale??

Originally Posted by midwife2be
Just wondered -
  • Or put it on before?

Hoping to go jan 08, never sold a house before so not sure how long process takes from sale to moving out etc. Hopefully it should sell quickly (famous last words )
Hi
When we put our house up for sale it sold within 5days ended up renting for 6months.Didnt cost us anything really cause the interest we made covered the cost of renting'

Brad
Old May 27th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

lfc4eva is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondered -
  • Or put it on before?

houses probably sell better when the weather's good and you don't want to be waiting here trying to sell your house and letting it go cheaper. without any problems the sale should take around 6-8 weeks to completion . HIP's come in on 1st august on houses with 4+ bedrooms. I'm going over for a reccie next month and all being well will put the house up for sale as soon as we get back. good luck
Old May 27th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

Just wondered -
  • Or put it on before?

Hi, we have had family and freinds that have ended up paying UK mortgage and OZ rent and found it very stressfull, therefore we have sold prior to getting Visa (checked with agent that we were 99% sure of Visa first) and are now in rented which is costing a lot less than our mortgage and the money is in the bank in a high interest acount paying for the rent, it is a gamble I know but one we think is worth taking, its what you think will be best for you, we have also had that many people pull out of buying our last 2 houses that it made it the best choice for us.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.
Old May 27th 2007, 1:07 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

if you have rellies you can live with after you have sold then i would sell as soon as you can,we sold and i must admit i have hated every second in this rental..you have also all the hassle of changing over all you cards,accounts etc,
if i had my time over i would of sold the house and gone staight after the money was in the bank..

oh and we have had to pay for two removals and all the hassle that goes with it..
Old May 27th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

we put our house on b 4 as ours at the minute has sold and when we complete it will b 4 months.Selling a house is always a nightmare good luckxx
Old May 27th 2007, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

We put ours up for sale in Feb, with the intention of going over in July, but was honest with buyers and told them we wouldn't exchange until visa was through. Luckily they really wanted the house, so are waiting for us to confirm visa, which should be through in 2-3 weeks.
We were really lucky in the fact that lady buyer lived on her own and was downsizing, and was happy to wait.

Good luck.
Old May 27th 2007, 6:23 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

We were granted our Visa the end of April just gone, and putting our house on the market next week even though we're not moving until January next year due to some prior commitments.

With any luck we maybe able to move into the father in-laws for a few months (fingers crossed ours sells quickly), but he's selling up as well in the next few months to retire to Majorca so may have to find some where else to live again..... or go to Majorca for a few weeks, my parents place in France for a bit, then back to the mother in-laws for Xmas and New Year before we go.

Our only concern is that the house is the one biggest sticking point to stop us from going when we want so the sooner it's gone the better, if we have to rent then yes, you pay someone else's mortgage but it's only short term.

At the end of the day, everyones options are different but from looking on here, getting shot of the house quick-smart is the safest route.

ATB,

Dave, Chez and Jacob

Edit: deffo wait till you have your visa, you may look a bit daft if you sell your home and not get it. Usual house selling time from start to finish is about 8 - 12 weeks.

Last edited by dave7370; May 27th 2007 at 6:27 pm.
Old May 27th 2007, 6:33 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370
We were granted our Visa the end of April just gone, and putting our house on the market next week even though we're not moving until January next year due to some prior commitments.

With any luck we maybe able to move into the father in-laws for a few months (fingers crossed ours sells quickly), but he's selling up as well in the next few months to retire to Majorca so may have to find some where else to live again..... or go to Majorca for a few weeks, my parents place in France for a bit, then back to the mother in-laws for Xmas and New Year before we go.

Our only concern is that the house is the one biggest sticking point to stop us from going when we want so the sooner it's gone the better, if we have to rent then yes, you pay someone else's mortgage but it's only short term.

At the end of the day, everyones options are different but from looking on here, getting shot of the house quick-smart is the safest route.

ATB,

Dave, Chez and Jacob

Edit: deffo wait till you have your visa, you may look a bit daft if you sell your home and not get it. Usual house selling time from start to finish is about 8 - 12 weeks.
your right there dave,we wanted to move anyway and i did fail the medical,so it can go pear shaped..
Old May 27th 2007, 6:36 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

We're hoping to go Jan 08 too.
House has just gone on the market then we're hoping to move into a short term rental.
Old May 27th 2007, 6:37 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aston man
your right there dave,we wanted to move anyway and i did fail the medical,so it can go pear shaped..
Are you not going now then Aston?

I missed the last Midlands meet so out of touch with all the goss.

Apologies to the OP for slight thread hi-jack. lol
Old May 28th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

No worries

thanks to all who have replied, you've given me many ideas and maybe that push I needed to put it up for sale!!

xx
Old May 28th 2007, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

we've still got alot of work to do before we put ours on the market... also not 100% sure of visa so a little reluctant to sell before I get it..

I anm in the position that if I don't get the visa and have to live here in the uk I will have to relocate for work anyway as there are no jobs at my grade locally...
Old May 28th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

We too have some jobs to do on the house but hopefully should be ready to put it on in the next month or so.

As regards jobs I've only had a few to even apply to (reasonably local) in the UK and havent any luck with those up to now, not even any bank work available