Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When do we tell the kids we're moving??

When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Cool Re: When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Originally Posted by mattmc
Great thread as my wife and I were debating recently when to tell the kids. We have a difference of opinion. (not the first time) I am the one applying for the visa (skills assessment currently with ACS) coupled with the fact that I am a very cautious person I want to tell the kids when I am absolutely sure we are going. My wife wants so to tell them once the skills assessment comes back.
Problem is my argument falls flat as I will probably not really believe it until I am at the airport.
(My kids are both six)

mattmc
we told the kids from the start they are really cool about it. I was more worried about telling the mother in law, but she is a good egg and wants to come and live near us as soon as possible she is 72 and going for it. We are not worried about the rest of the family as they would do what we are doing if they had the opportunity. Sorry forgot to say kids are 9,7 & 2

Last edited by AnitaB; Jul 4th 2005 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Smile Re: When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Originally Posted by AnitaB
we told the kids from the start they are really cool about it. I was more worried about telling the mother in law, but she is a good egg and wants to come and live near us as and when not worried about the rest. kids 9 7 and 2
remember to play up to them possibly having your own pool in the garden and lots of out door things at school. they seem to go for that

Last edited by AnitaB; Jul 4th 2005 at 11:03 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice
Default Re: When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Originally Posted by nik
You are so lucky if your family are ok about it. We last mentioned it a year ago and the response was "Don't even expect me to comment on that!" followed by stony silence.

I am going to take your advice and mention Ausralia to the kids in passing and perhaps that might enable us to have a conversation with the grandparents. They cannot understand why anyone would want to move somewhere new - bit of a brick wall I'm afraid!!
take care, Nik

Nik

There have been loads of threads on this forum about family (mums, dads, siblings) not accepting the move to Australia very well !!! If you do a search you will not feel alone in this matter. In fact Ex-Pats will soon become an extended member of your family because on here there is always somebody going through what you are.

Theresa
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:37 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice
Smile Re: When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Originally Posted by hooperhome
Nik

There have been loads of threads on this forum about family (mums, dads, siblings) not accepting the move to Australia very well !!! If you do a search you will not feel alone in this matter. In fact Ex-Pats will soon become an extended member of your family because on here there is always somebody going through what you are.

Theresa
Thanks Theresa,
It is so nice to see that there are others with the same issues about going! Take care
Nik