Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When do we tell the kids we're moving??

When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice
Default When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Hey,

Have got two kids (boy, 11 and girl, 7). Haven't told them anything yet as we're not likely to reach Oz until early 2006. However, does anyone have some advice as to how, when to tell them that this is the long term plan??? (and to make this seem as attractive as poss?)

Sus
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:31 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Originally Posted by Jim&Sus
Hey,

Have got two kids (boy, 11 and girl, 7). Haven't told them anything yet as we're not likely to reach Oz until early 2006. However, does anyone have some advice as to how, when to tell them that this is the long term plan??? (and to make this seem as attractive as poss?)

Sus
Just tell them.....We have two girls at 11 and a boy aged 8. They were ecstatic when we told them of our plans and they are now asking us how long till we go.. It makes a refreshing change from.....

"ARE WE THERE YET"

CORKER
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:31 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hey,

Sus
Write to them & tell them once you get to Aus Susan.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:35 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

tell them tell them tell them!!! children are funny critters and mum and dad keeping something from them???!!! a big no no, either they will be very excited or they will have time to adjust. how can you keep it secret? it would be impossible for us!! australia is talked abour daily in our house!! we are planning on early next yr but it is dominating our lives so much, what with application etc etc.
goodluck and let us know what you are going to do

amanda
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

i advocate telling children early on. mine have known for an age despite the fact it may not be until next year and they are 9 and 10.

it gives them time to digest the information i think and whilst mine say that they don't want to go they have independantly sort out books from the school libruary or actively watched programmes on oz. i think it helps then to adjust to the idea and the more time the better.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Hey,

Sus
Hi Sus,

We are in the same situation - we haven't told our kids (ages 8 and 3) yet as we don't want to get them too excited/anxious about the whole thing until we know we have the visa and have a concrete plan for when we will be moving.

The other thing that worries us is that our oldest daughter (8) has a few very close friends in our neighborhood and we are worried about how she will take the news that we will be moving away from them. We've taken the kids to Australia (back in 2003), and they loved it, but it's one thing to go there for a month on vacation and another to move permanently.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, but I can certainly sympathize with your situation. I'm hoping that like lots of people on here my kids have a favorable reaction to the move when we tell them as I think it would make the move much harder if they are not excited about it!

Cheers,
Brian
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bordy
Good idea

Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:07 am
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about

Hey,

Sus
Hi,
It's a good question! I think a lot depends on your children's personality, you know how they react to things. We included ours ,( 5 and 8) when the process began, taking them there on a trip to experience it first ( that was for me too). Once we were home and the novelty had worn off, we had a family meeting and put the idea to them, yes was the answer.

Since then we have kept them updated and they kept it quiet until we said they could tell people.

Our 9 year old is beside herself with excitement, the 6 year old is a bit more reserved, but knows what it means.

They finish school today and are excited as they are having parties in class, getting shirts signed and photo's taken so they feel very important.

Keep them informed, even if you play things down a bit. You know them best at the end of the day, what works for one of us may not for another.

Good luck and I'm sure they will be really excited and start making plans about things like a pool, trampoline, and colour of their rooms, mine have!

Best wishes
Margie
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Texting is cheaper

"In OZ. Gr8 place, wish u wer here. Luv M&D"

JTL
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Our 7 year old son has ADHD and we debated whether or not to tell him because of his behaviour when changes occur and let's face it this is a biggy. However, we decided that because it was dominating our lives so much that we couldn't keep it from him and our 12 year old daughter. They both surprised us by being pretty darn excited. Our 7 year old has needed a lot of time to digest the magnitude of the change and asks a lot of questions and we hope with each one answered he is gaining more confidence about leaving. It also means that the children get time to spend quality time with friends and family making the most of the time they have with them.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Hiya,

We are in a similar situation to you, probably be in Oz early 2006 (hopefully) . Our children are 11 and 2 and we have put off telling them until now.

We are thinking of telling them on Saturday, but my hubby has two children from previous, which we see every week, but relationship is non-existant with their mother . So we have to tell them all together, but are unsure whether to tell the ex first! She's gonna freak out no matter what, - enter solicitor me thinks (again) .

We have put off telling the kids until now, as we did not want them to be disappointed if we failed TRA and it would take much longer for us to get there!

Take care
Melissa
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:34 am
aussie73

At the Airport.

Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:41 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We told our daughter right from the start. We have talked about it for so long now there is no doubting it. It is just a fact that it is going to happen like it going dark every night.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: When do we tell the kids we're moving??

Originally Posted by aussie73
At the Airport.
Great thread as my wife and I were debating recently when to tell the kids. We have a difference of opinion. (not the first time) I am the one applying for the visa (skills assessment currently with ACS) coupled with the fact that I am a very cautious person I want to tell the kids when I am absolutely sure we are going. My wife wants so to tell them once the skills assessment comes back.
Problem is my argument falls flat as I will probably not really believe it until I am at the airport.
(My kids are both six)

mattmc
Old Jun 30th 2005, 10:41 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

Sus
You tell them right from the beginning...involve them in everything....gives them plenty of time to ask all the questions........it is their life too after all, so they should have a say in it!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.