Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When did you tell your UK employer you were emigrating?

When did you tell your UK employer you were emigrating?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default When did you tell your UK employer you were emigrating?

Hi, We are planning on making the move to Oz.

I have been in touch with my Agent who tells me that my current employer would find out round about 4 mths in of my application being processed. If this is the case it would be an absolute disaster for me.

Is this right? What is everyone else's experience?

I'd love to hear from you all.

Steve Jones
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice
Default Re: When did you tell your UK employer you were emigrating?

Hi Steve

I didn't use an agent so it was a little easier for me. However I did make it known I was going through the process. It did make it a little easier when the visa arrived. They have had plenty of time to replace/reorg.

I guess it all depends on the workplace. Mine is quite relaxed and my relationship with my bosses was/is pretty good.

Best of luck and I hope the agent is wrong
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I'm really lucky that i told my boss straight away and he was brill about it, has said that its the right thing to do and if i ever come back there will always be a job for me which is good to know. My boss has never had any contact with any department of oz emigration or a old employer that i still see every now and then.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:31 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones

I have been in touch with my Agent who tells me that my current employer would find out round about 4 mths in of my application being processed. If this is the case it would be an absolute disaster for me.

Steve Jones
We got here on a skilled visa, so based on this as part of our application we had to submit letters, etc signed by current employer - so if you are going for a skilled visa (might be the same for the other types as well) then you're going to have to spill the beans sooner rather than later I'm afraid!

R
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
We got here on a skilled visa, so based on this as part of our application we had to submit letters, etc signed by current employer - so if you are going for a skilled visa (might be the same for the other types as well) then you're going to have to spill the beans sooner rather than later I'm afraid!

R
Yes you do for most types of visa. Theres no way round it. AND you've got to get references from all your previous employers too, so there goes the dream of sending them a suprise email from Oz telling them they're all w**kers.

I had a great boss in the UK, who'd constantly sent me on work to Oz anyway, so when I told him I was moving here, he worked like mad to make it work. But that was lucky for me. Also, all previous bosses sent really good references. It is a lesson in not burning your bridges.

I don't think there is any way round it, there is no way to do the dramatic 'I'm leaving for Oz, so stuff your job' resignation. Your employers (current and previous) have to help!

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 3rd 2005 at 2:41 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:42 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes you do for most types of visa. Theres no way round it. AND you've got to get references from all your previous employers too, so there goes the dream of sending them a suprise email from Oz telling them they're all w**kers.

I had a great boss in the UK, who'd constantly sent me on work to Oz anyway, so when I told him I was moving here, he worked like mad to make it work. But that was lucky for me. Also, all previous bosses sent really good references. It is a lesson in not burning your bridges.

I don't think there is any way round it, there is no way to do the dramatic 'I'm leaving for Oz, so stuff your job' resignation. Your employers (current and previous) have to help!

JTL
There's not much your employer can do - they can't sack you. I just kept my employer up to speed without telling them exactly when I was leaving - more kind of..."yeah, I'm probably going in a couple of months, but I'm not going to tell you when exactly in case you get rid of me!!"

R
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
There's not much your employer can do - they can't sack you. I just kept my employer up to speed without telling them exactly when I was leaving - more kind of..."yeah, I'm probably going in a couple of months, but I'm not going to tell you when exactly in case you get rid of me!!"

R
True, but they can (and do) sideline you into boring support jobs, and keep new developments away from your eyes.

I did almost 1 year of hell desk support before I left. Again that wasn't my boss' fault, higher minds than his decided it was pointless for me to design new systems for them when I wasn't going to be there on their completion.

And I agree with their logic!

And Hell desk wasn't soo bad, brain only melted a wee bit.

JTL
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:46 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Someone posted awhile back that he got around this by telling them he wanted to see if he would be accepted by immigation and was testing the water with a speclative application so he had options for a move later on.
But as JTL says sooner or later they will know the score,
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:51 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Yeah just tell them that you are applying now as you will loose pionts due to age iin a year or so. Tell them you have up to 6 years to move over (which will be the truth if your visa takes a year to get granted and you are planning on goin in about 5 years or somehting like that.

I had it lucky and didn't have to inform my work at all (spouse visa) I told them I was emmigrating the day they offered me redundancy which they kindly did the day before I had to hand my notice in

Kala
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:18 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I had it lucky and didn't have to inform my work at all (spouse visa) I told them I was emmigrating the day they offered me redundancy which they kindly did the day before I had to hand my notice in

Kala
that is a nice bit of timing
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:21 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

The other half worked for a large company with its own HR dept - managed to get references on the understanding it was confidential and would not get back to line managers, even though they normally only did references when leaving. He now works for a different employer and they have no idea - they will know when it comes to handing in the notice, at which time we will enquire if they have any suitable position in their Australian offices.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

Hi Everyone,

I told my boss today unofficially, and we have had our visa since February, and are leaving in 3 months time. I have to give 2 months notice so the extra month was a goodwill gesture on my part. I got around the references issue by asking previous managers for a general reference for my records. I also work for a large company (50k+ employees) and as I understand it, the reference the HR department gives literally states when you started working for the company and how long you've been there for. I also submitted my annual performance reviews as evidence.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jon (& Janine)
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I told my employers straight away as soon as I realised that I would need references. They were fine about it. I then changed jobs when my application had already been submitted. I told my manager not long after I started and assured him that it would be at least 18 months until I left. He too was also very understanding.

The only thing was that I didn't get put on a training course that I should have been going on, but I would have turned it down to give somebody else a chance anyway. Would feel a bit cheeky using resources when I wasn't going to be giving anything back. Besides, I can do the course when I get to Aus.

I felt much better for telling them. Felt a bit sneaky keeping it all a secret.

Tracey
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones

Steve Jones
Hi
We have just got our Visas (skilled sponsored) and I never informed my employer, in fact I have been busting a gut all week to tell them that we are off but due to the school holidays nobody senior was at work. So it can wait until Monday.

John
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:57 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I told mine right at the start (which seems like bloody ages ago now ) and he has been great, writing good references, etc. Or at least, signing the ones I wrote

I told them that when I was nearing the end of the process I would tell them so that they could recruit my replacement and I could spend some time showing him the ropes. They offered the job to my replacment 2 days ago so I guess that means I'm somewhere near the end of the application. Hope so anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.