Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When did you realise?

When did you realise?

Old Jun 2nd 2003, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Carmella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When did you realise?

Was there a turning point in your life that made you want to emigrate or was it cumulative?
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 4:27 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When did you realise?

Originally posted by Carmella
Was there a turning point in your life that made you want to emigrate or was it cumulative?

Had the opportunity to visit friends out in Melbourne and when they came and visited York last summer we just woke one day and said lets have a go and it has gone from there.

We are young enough and have no kids so felt it was now or never

Jo
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

When the idiot Blair and Labour got voted in as PM

Came back here and said if they vote him in again I am off. Got stuck here though because I met my wife.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Kebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really niceKebabo is just really nice
Default Re: When did you realise?

Originally posted by Carmella
Fed up with insecurities of jobs, high house prices and mortgage payments, too much traffic ie dicing with death everytime you want to walk to the shops and want a nice place for the kids to grow up, not wondering all the time if somebody is going to nab them or worse.

Hoping the other side of the world may be better.

Kebabo
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 4:34 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea of going is not a new one to us but the destination is. We've been dreaming of getting out of the UK rat race for some time and have only recently been in touch with friends who did just that last year.

Since then we've done a month travelling over there too and by the time we came back it was decided for certain.

Now we're so impatient to get out there that we're selling the house and going back out on another holiday visa before we've even been asked for medicals and police checks!

Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:06 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Having only to weeks of summer last year, kids bored with nothing to do, being taxed up to the eyeballs and not seeing any benifit from it, politics............when do you want me to stop?
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:08 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

being kicked out of my house when i was 16 by my mother, hardly see my dad. mates all getting married with sky high mortgages. dead end job.
i just want a fresh start with new surroundings,i know it sounds depressing but there is absolutly nothing keeping me here, thats why im off by myself.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:12 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

I want to have a four bedroom house with about 5 acres for chooks and a bit of quad biking oh and a swimming pool for the kids after school to have a splash about, and I want all of that for the price of my one bedroom flat in Islington which at present is £190000
and I am gonna get caned by PB now as a dreamer, hehe
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Africa for a few years, and loved the lifestyle but knew it wasn't for us longterm.

Feel we are in a bit of a rut over here, longed for some adventure and so here we are about to go to Oz in October.
We've had a rough few years with the deaths of parents etc and so really have no ties over here anymore and just decided to give it a try as life is too short not to.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got bored with the predictability of things. We could see ourselves doing the same things when were sixty

we have a good house, good jobs, great family and friends. But looking at it we could pretty see each stage fo our life and what we would be doing if we stay mapped out ahead of us. Alot of people talk about only getting on shot at life and we want some adventure, changes, different experiences and challenges. We see oursleves as relatively capable people so if all goes pear shaped we could probably recreate our preidctable enviroment again if we had to.

James
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

Having moved out of the UK rat race two years ago we have realised that it still isn't enough, we need a complete new start with new jobs, new location, new everything really.

... and the weather in Yorkshire is really depressing.

Regards,
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:41 pm
Badge

Originally posted by paulf
I want to have a four bedroom house with about 5 acres for chooks and a bit of quad biking oh and a swimming pool for the kids after school to have a splash about, and I want all of that for the price of my one bedroom flat in Islington which at present is £190000
and I am gonna get caned by PB now as a dreamer, hehe
any space for a badger or two?!

;-)

Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted to the wrong thread .... the answer to when did you realise, is Saturday I suppose.

Regards
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 6:07 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

The day we landed at Heathrow after being in Australia for a year on a WHV. That was July 2001. Gosh, that's ages ago....

V
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 6:27 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The realisation that you only live once - or twice! - and you can pretty much choose (being a bloody lucky westerner) wherever you want to live in the world provided you don't mind leaving family and friends behind. Good job it's easy enough to make new friends wherever you go and your immediate family is in with you on the adventure.

Took about 35 years to work that one out, despite having lived abroad for many years because of work/ study.

Cheers - Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.