Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When can I become a Citizen ?

When can I become a Citizen ?

Old May 21st 2007, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of
Default When can I become a Citizen ?

My situation is this:

Arrived mid October 2006 with wife and kids. They stayed and I returned to Europe to sell the house and close the business down.Had another 2 weeks in Oz last month but am returning for good in a couple of weeks.

My question is when would we be able to apply for citizenship is it 2 years from the date I first arrived ?

I have heard the rules change to 4 years in July, hope I have made it in time.

We have a 136 permanent visa.

Cheers,
Ian
Old May 21st 2007, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When can I become a Citizen ?

Originally Posted by skyblue
My situation is this:

Arrived mid October 2006 with wife and kids. They stayed and I returned to Europe to sell the house and close the business down.Had another 2 weeks in Oz last month but am returning for good in a couple of weeks.

My question is when would we be able to apply for citizenship is it 2 years from the date I first arrived ?

I have heard the rules change to 4 years in July, hope I have made it in time.

We have a 136 permanent visa.

Cheers,
Ian
You need to have lived in Oz for a cumulative period of 2 years. The change to 4 years comes in July and I think it's then only for people who have been granted PR after 30 June. I'm sure it'll say something on the Immi website.
Old May 21st 2007, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marco121068
You need to have lived in Oz for a cumulative period of 2 years. The change to 4 years comes in July and I think it's then only for people who have been granted PR after 30 June. I'm sure it'll say something on the Immi website.
so the mrs and kids can apply 6 months before I can ?
Old May 21st 2007, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If they have spent 6 months more than you in Australia then, yes they can
Old May 21st 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Aunty Bessy

At least I dont have to wait over 4 yrs.

Originally Posted by Wendy
If they have spent 6 months more than you in Australia then, yes they can
Old May 21st 2007, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

When your driving becomes really bad
You think AFL is a game with skill
You stop cleaning the bbq's at the beach
Mispronounce half the English language
Have a mullet
Old May 21st 2007, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Aunty Bessy

At least I dont have to wait over 4 yrs.

Old May 21st 2007, 9:51 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

It still takes a while after that, we applied in May 2006, after being here for two years, and only had our citizenship ceremony in March 2007!
Old May 21st 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Whats this ceremony business ?

Initiation ceremony, where I have to sheer a sheep then eat its testicles ?

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
It still takes a while after that, we applied in May 2006, after being here for two years, and only had our citizenship ceremony in March 2007!
Old May 21st 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by karenjc
When your driving becomes really bad
You think AFL is a game with skill
You stop cleaning the bbq's at the beach
Mispronounce half the English language
Have a mullet
Superb...!!!
Old May 21st 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Did you have to give up your UK passport and citizenship when you became an Aus citizen?
Old May 21st 2007, 11:53 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Did you have to give up your UK passport and citizenship when you became an Aus citizen?
No.