Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when to buy computor????

Wikiposts

when to buy computor????

Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:25 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for those. I do most of my shopping online, so they had better get their act together!

Cadburys have just come back online, made my day when I got an email from them yesterday. Cuddly Bertie Bassetts all round .

www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk if anybody's interested.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Bought my laptop while on stopover in Singapore return journey. I had priced them in the UK prior to leaving - in Singapore en route and then Brisbane and Sydney while in Oz. The IT mall Singapore won hands down on price also the model I bought (February) has only been on the market in the UK for just over a month now. It is a Fujitsu and came with an international warranty. I had no customs problems at all bringing it into UK, also got tax refunded at Singapore airport when leaving.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:57 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We bought our computer in the UK from a magazine called Mesh, the computer was brilliant and only cost us about 700 pounds. We sold it to friends before we left and bought another one when we got here. It's no way near as good as the last one we had and it cost us $2000 from Harvey Norman. There certainly isn't the choice over here (in Perth anyway) that there is in the UK.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:55 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

On much the same subject, is Gateway still operational in Oz?

They still have retail and online presence in the US, but closed down in Ireland / UK some time ago.

Last time I was in Sydney they had a store there, but now???

My laptop's Gateway and I've had good service from it but will need a desktop when / if we get to Oz and would like to stay with them.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Good point Bondipom - we are just running on the UK power cable, and a UK-Oz adapter. Its running through a surge protected board too - essential here I gather!
Polly, you should have mentioned that before ...... go into your kitchen & pull out your jug cord (since you dont use it LOL) & plug it into your powerboard - much easier than an adapter .
Old Nov 26th 2003, 9:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Good point Bondipom - we are just running on the UK power cable, and a UK-Oz adapter. Its running through a surge protected board too - essential here I gather!
Yep. One bolt of lightening and bang goes your PC and all its data.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:02 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by scotvness
Bought my laptop while on stopover in Singapore return journey. I had priced them in the UK prior to leaving - in Singapore en route and then Brisbane and Sydney while in Oz. The IT mall Singapore won hands down on price also the model I bought (February) has only been on the market in the UK for just over a month now. It is a Fujitsu and came with an international warranty. I had no customs problems at all bringing it into UK, also got tax refunded at Singapore airport when leaving.

Hi Scotvness,

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing when I come back from my validation trip in March.

What model did you get? They use Fujitsu laptops where I work if you need to be mobile, and they seem pretty easy to use (a pre-requisite for me as a techno-idiot!) I'd also want a pretty lightweight model too if possible.

Did you have to declare it on entry to the UK or did you just go through?

Thanks for any advice,

Elaine
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:05 am

Originally posted by Elaine M
Hi Scotvness,

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing when I come back from my validation trip in March.

What model did you get? They use Fujitsu laptops where I work if you need to be mobile, and they seem pretty easy to use (a pre-requisite for me as a techno-idiot!) I'd also want a pretty lightweight model too if possible.

Did you have to declare it on entry to the UK or did you just go through?

Thanks for any advice,

Elaine
You are supposed to declare it going through either customs but see no evil hear no evil.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Hi Elaine

The laptop I bought in Singapore is a Fujitsu (Lifebook) P2120 it's a fantastic wee buy. Oh and incedently they were on sale in Singapore airport but about £80 more expensive than in the IT mall.

Good luck on your search

PS: I just walked through - no problems. To think about it I cant even remember being given the opportunity to declare it.

Last edited by scotvness; Nov 27th 2003 at 5:19 am.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 7:20 am

Default Re: Hi Elaine

Originally posted by scotvness
The laptop I bought in Singapore is a Fujitsu (Lifebook) P2120 it's a fantastic wee buy. Oh and incedently they were on sale in Singapore airport but about £80 more expensive than in the IT mall.

Good luck on your search

PS: I just walked through - no problems. To think about it I cant even remember being given the opportunity to declare it.
The idea is you walk down the something to declare and say to the Customs Officer that you are bringing in goods over the value allowed and I would love to pay VAT on it.

In the UK you are highly unlikely to get caught. In Oz the checking is more thorough. I just declared my motherboard was over a year old.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

So it seems a good idea to buy before landing in Oz....

I have my eyes on a Fujitsu Siemens (2.4Ghz, 256Mb, 40 Gig etc) priced in Comet for 699 including printer and bag. Anyone else bought this laptop? Seems like a good price and probably better than anything I can get out in Sydney. Might check what shops there are in LA airport as that's how we're flying as long as they don't cancel all those flights:scared:

Piers
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point

Piers,

Have a look at this site for user reviews and info on laptops.

http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

Scottm
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:23 am

BTW I just bought a router from www.itech.com.au .

So far so good.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:26 am
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
BTW I just bought a router from www.itech.com.au .

So far so good.

what router did you buy bp?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by piers_morgan
So it seems a good idea to buy before landing in Oz....

I have my eyes on a Fujitsu Siemens (2.4Ghz, 256Mb, 40 Gig etc) priced in Comet for 699 including printer and bag. Anyone else bought this laptop? Seems like a good price and probably better than anything I can get out in Sydney. Might check what shops there are in LA airport as that's how we're flying as long as they don't cancel all those flights:scared:

Piers
I have a Fujitsu Siemens with a slightly higher spec (3.06Ghz, 1Gb, 80Gb) & really like, it's very well built & very powerful. LA airport, like most US airports has useless & overpriced shopping, get it before you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.