Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When booking your flights.............

When booking your flights.............

Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:16 am
Just Joined

LissyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When booking your flights.............

Hi

We booked our flights via a company on the internet and got a good deal with prices at short notice - £425 Heathrow to Perth.

However, it turns out that because we did not book direct with Qantas - we can't claim the double baggage allowance. So can only take 20kg not 40kg.

As it will take 8-10 weeks for stuff to be shipped over, that is how long we will have to live out of our suitcases.

Bear this in mind if you book over the internet, phone and not direct with the airline.

Only 6 sleeps to go!!:scared: :scared:
Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:22 am
tennisoz

Default Re: When booking your flights.............

Originally posted by LissyP
Hi

We booked our flights via a company on the internet and got a good deal with prices at short notice - £425 Heathrow to Perth.

However, it turns out that because we did not book direct with Qantas - we can't claim the double baggage allowance. So can only take 20kg not 40kg.

As it will take 8-10 weeks for stuff to be shipped over, that is how long we will have to live out of our suitcases.

Bear this in mind if you book over the internet, phone and not direct with the airline.

Only 6 sleeps to go!!:scared: :scared:
Lissy

Good point. Does the higher lower baggage allowance apply if you book via a travel agent or a Travelbag/Austravel type direct seller? Put another way, do you only get the 40 kg allowance if you book with the airline?

TennisOz

Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Burnsy74 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you go through a travel agent you can get the 40Kgs as long as you ask for the migrants fare
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:43 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by Burnsy74
if you go through a travel agent you can get the 40Kgs as long as you ask for the migrants fare
Thanks for that but now another question - is the migrant fare more expensive and if so how much? Just out of interest - I realise that excess baggage on 20 kgs would be a hell of a lot more than the difference between a migrant fare and a normal fare.

TennisOz

Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:17 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Booked on intrnet thru United and having four flights on the way £420 inclusive of all taxes and 64 kg baggage allowance
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:24 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi yafm.
How did / who did you book with United.

I like the Idea of 64kg each.

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Burnsy74 is an unknown quantity at this point

That migrant fare through UNITED is excellent. The one we got is with Singapore and was £540 each, though we are flyin 28th of December which probably adds a bit even so United are offering more luggage.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:49 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by markeh
Hi yafm.
How did / who did you book with United.

I like the Idea of 64kg each.

Bye
Markeh

direct with www.unitedairlines.co.uk go into make an itinerary and they redirect you to www.united.com for you to click on one way trip/ multi stop and everything is self explanatory you can keep choosing differen journeys until you are happy and then book - don't forget if you book with them to join the frequent flyer club first as they give you 2000 miles for booking on line.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:05 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi yafm,
thanks for the links, giving it a try now.

Now all I need is a strong man to carry my bags

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:19 pm
too busy to work members

Originally posted by markeh
Hi yafm,
thanks for the links, giving it a try now.

Now all I need is a strong man to carry my bags

Bye
Markeh

PLEASE NOTE as with all US airlines you can only have two bags and neither must weigh more than 32kg (if you use your weight allowance in 3 bags one complete bag will be charged as overweight luggage) strange I know but thems the rules.