British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   When is the best time to go ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/when-best-time-go-249787/)

DIMO8 Aug 19th 2004 5:20 pm

When is the best time to go ?

Hi Guys

Been on the forum a few weeks now and just plucked the courage to post a thread. Some of you may be aware that we are planning a holiday to Perth next year with a definate view to move permanently. We had planned to go March 18th for 3 weeks but hubby is having trouble with his holidays (Easter time). The next available time we could go would be the end of May, which i realise would be the Winter season. Do you think it would be wise to leave it untill September for Spring or would Winter be an ok time to go ? How bad can Winters be out in Perth? :confused:

Cheers :o :o

jayr Aug 19th 2004 11:22 pm

Re: When is the best time to go ?

Originally Posted by DIMO8
Hi Guys

Been on the forum a few weeks now and just plucked the courage to post a thread. Some of you may be aware that we are planning a holiday to Perth next year with a definate view to move permanently. We had planned to go March 18th for 3 weeks but hubby is having trouble with his holidays (Easter time). The next available time we could go would be the end of May, which i realise would be the Winter season. Do you think it would be wise to leave it untill September for Spring or would Winter be an ok time to go ? How bad can Winters be out in Perth? :confused:

Welcome. Since you've got no replies I'll have a go, but I don't live in Perth.

here's a link to Perth avergae weather data:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_009225.shtml

Read the Max temp as being the warmest temp in the day on avergae for the month (often around 1-3pm). The Min temp refers to the coldest temp in the dya (i.e typically just around sunrise). This may be obvious but you may not be familiar with how Max and Min temps are presented here.

Looking at May, you've got a daytime of 22.3C and nightime 10.6C. Spetmeber is slightly colder, November is warmer.

Not sure if Perth is like Brissy, but if so then winters are bright and sunny with little cloud cover and very little rain (that all comes in summer) and low humidity. You will find winter to be like a pleasant English spring, but bring a jumper for the evenings.

JAJ Aug 19th 2004 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by jayr
Not sure if Perth is like Brissy, but if so then winters are bright and sunny with little cloud cover and very little rain (that all comes in summer) and low humidity. You will find winter to be like a pleasant English spring, but bring a jumper for the evenings.

Perth is probably cloudier and wetter than Brisbane in winter, but not nearly to the same extent as Melbourne.

If arriving anywhere in southern Australia in winter, be prepared for the evenings to be dark (sunset at 5pm in Sydney) even if the days are warm around noon. Winter afternoons get chilly quite early.

If you must visit Australia in the winter, I'd visit the north.

Jeremy

owieb Aug 19th 2004 11:55 pm

Hi Guys

May can still be nice, but the temperature will be starting to drop and the rain will becoming more frequent.

It's still a nice time of year, but won't really show off Perth in all it's glory.

Although 1st September is the first day of spring, it doesn't normally start warming up till late October early November. Last year it seemed to take ages before the rains went and it warmed up, getting on for late November.

Spring is great for seeing the wild flowers down South, but don't expect to spend lazy days on the beach because it will be too cold.

Early December is a great time to visit Perth, just before the summer rush, it's starting to warm up, but not too hot and the rains should all have gone by then. The other time (which you were looking at) is March which again can be really nice though a little hot on the odd day.

jayr Aug 19th 2004 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ

I'm not clear why holiday availablity is an issue for the original poster if they are migrating.

Jeremy

I think it's their fact finding trip.

JAJ Aug 19th 2004 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by jayr
I think it's their fact finding trip.

I stand corrected :)

Jeremy

DIMO8 Aug 20th 2004 8:14 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
I stand corrected :)

Jeremy

Cheers guys for the replies Will let you know when we go soon. We dont have any rels or friends out thier. So any offers of guide tours will be greatly welcome :p or just an invite to a BBQ will do.

sunchaser Aug 20th 2004 9:52 am

Hi DIMO8,

We went on our rekkie, (fact finding mission), from the 1st to the 15th of May and had fabulous weather. It only rained one weekend, and boy did it rain!! :eek: Although having said that it was intermittent, chucking it down one minute and then blue skies the next.

It wasn't too hot or too cold and temperatures were about 20 going up to 25 during the day. The last few days it was starting to get colder at night but then you just wrap up a little.

Have fun!

PHIZA Aug 20th 2004 9:57 am

Cheers guys for the replies Will let you know when we go soon. We dont have any rels or friends out thier. So any offers of guide tours will be greatly welcome :p or just an invite to a BBQ will do.

Hi DIMO8, where abouts in the North West are you from? We are from Barrow-in-Furness. We are flying out to Perth on 13th September, so hopefully we'll be well settled by the time you come over, so keep in touch and you#re more than welcome to come round ours for a BBQ! :) ;) and a few :beer:

sunchaser Aug 20th 2004 10:06 am

Originally Posted by PHIZA
Hi DIMO8, where abouts in the North West are you from? We are from Barrow-in-Furness. We are flying out to Perth on 13th September, so hopefully we'll be well settled by the time you come over, so keep in touch and you#re more than welcome to come round ours for a BBQ! :) ;) and a few :beer:

Hi Phiza,

We arrive in Perth on the 1st of September and will also be settling in the northern suburbs. We are initially staying in self catering in Sorrento for 2 weeks and will then move into a 6 month rental when we've found a house and our stuff clears customs. Once we're settled we should definitely have a barbie get-together with all us new arrivals!!
Do you already have a house sorted to move into or will you also be house hunting when you arrive?

PHIZA Aug 20th 2004 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sunchaser
Hi Phiza,

We arrive in Perth on the 1st of September and will also be settling in the northern suburbs. We are initially staying in self catering in Sorrento for 2 weeks and will then move into a 6 month rental when we've found a house and our stuff clears customs. Once we're settled we should definitely have a barbie get-together with all us new arrivals!!
Do you already have a house sorted to move into or will you also be house hunting when you arrive?

Hi sunchaser, we are looking at settling down south, in Rockingham/Safety Bay/Waikiki area. We have booked a short term holiday let for the first two weeks in Warnbro from John & Eve at http://www.emi-great.com/services.htm. Once there we are going to do some frantic school and house hunting. :scared:
We'll get in touch once we're settled and organise that Barbie. :)

DIMO8 Aug 20th 2004 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by PHIZA

Cheers PHIZA! I wont forget that offer, it will be great to keep in touch and have a friendly face to see when we get there. We live just outside LIverpool in Whiston. How long has your application taken ?

Grayling Aug 20th 2004 3:09 pm

Sometimes it can be a good idea to go 'out of season'. That way you see places when they are quiet and when the weather may not be too good.
That way you know what you are really letting yourself in for.

Good luck

G

Siren & Brian Aug 20th 2004 3:09 pm

Just come..... you wont be dissappointed. If it rains, it will rain cats and dogs for 10 minutes then in the arvo be sunny and warm.

DIMO8 Aug 20th 2004 3:18 pm

Thanks G and Siren
I just want to make the 3 weeks holiday prove to me that Oz is where i want to be. My heart is there already, i just need to convince my head its the right move to make. But you are right it doesnt matter when i go to see it as long as i do.