Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wheezing and sniffle free in Melbourne

Wheezing and sniffle free in Melbourne

Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wheezing and sniffle free in Melbourne

For those of you who are thinking of coming to OZ and have any type of sniffle/wheeze, come to Melbourne.

My daughter and I always had runny noses in Scotland and she used to wheeze everytime she had a cold.
We used to visit husband's family in Sydney where she used to get asthma (maybe because of the humidity) BUT since emigrating to Melbourne we both seem to be cured! It's so nice being able to breathe properly again and feel so healthy.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:38 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wheezing and sniffle free in Melbourne

Originally Posted by talbot
For those of you who are thinking of coming to OZ and have any type of sniffle/wheeze, come to Melbourne.

My daughter and I always had runny noses in Scotland and she used to wheeze everytime she had a cold.
We used to visit husband's family in Sydney where she used to get asthma (maybe because of the humidity) BUT since emigrating to Melbourne we both seem to be cured! It's so nice being able to breathe properly again and feel so healthy.
I can concur on that one. Neither of my kids has had a cold in over 6 months and more importantly, my OH's GP has reduced his asthma steroids by 3/4s and they're about to take him off them completely to see how he goes
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by talbot

Don't want to spoil the party but it can take a couple of years for things to "kick-in". My OH suffers dreadfully from hayfever and for first 18 months showed no symptoms then it returned. Same happened when we moved to the UK 15 years ago.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:44 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Don't want to spoil the party but it can take a couple of years for things to "kick-in". My OH suffers dreadfully from hayfever and for first 18 months showed no symptoms then it returned. Same happened when we moved to the UK 15 years ago.
sssshhhhhhhhh, let them enjoy it while it lasts lol
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Well we've been here for nearly 26 months so touch wood if anything was to kick in, it would have by now .....
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by herrchook
I can concur on that one. Neither of my kids has had a cold in over 6 months and more importantly, my OH's GP has reduced his asthma steroids by 3/4s and they're about to take him off them completely to see how he goes
That's great news about the steroids.... fingers crossed he'll be steroid free soon! Good luck.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:57 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

That sounds great. Any explanation as to why things clear up?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. I barely had hayfever in UK but it's really bad here. Have to take super strength antihistamines as soon as I get out of bed for at least 6 months of the year. A friend of mine from SA is on the heavty duty prescription antihistamines to cope with hayfever, it's that bad (he never had it in SA or UK), which means he has difficulty sleeping as they keep you awake.

My daugther's asthma is an awful lot better though.

Last edited by rabsody; Mar 6th 2008 at 1:42 am.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
That sounds great. Any explanation as to why things clear up?
I think it's something to do with the warmth and I would also have thought lack of carpets in the home (a lot of houses have mainly floorboards or tiles) means there are a lot less dustmites in the home?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

For me it is the reverse. I was fine in the UK but I have hay fever issues here in Melbourne.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Better for me too - Never even looked at my inhaler and steroid tablets since we came!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 5:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

My 81 year old father has had ulcers on his legs permanently for 3 years at least. When he arrived in Melbourne within 24 hours they were better. I think it must be the dry air here? He has now been back in England a week and already laid low with a cold, have to see if his legs get worse again as well.

Buzzy