Wheezing!

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheezing!

My son and I have mild asthma and have to take a preventative inhaler and a reliever if needed.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether I can buy these over the counter at a chemists or whether I would need to see a Doc and get a repeat prescription.

When I worked in the States, I could easily get these over the counter and it was much cheaper too, so wondered if it was the same in Aus.

Any help much appreciated!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wheezing!

Originally posted by suffolkdiva
My son and I have mild asthma and have to take a preventative inhaler and a reliever if needed.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether I can buy these over the counter at a chemists or whether I would need to see a Doc and get a repeat prescription.

When I worked in the States, I could easily get these over the counter and it was much cheaper too, so wondered if it was the same in Aus.

Any help much appreciated!
Hi SuffolkDiva,
U r talking abou the Uk I presume...
Am a pharmacist in the UK and you cannot buy ANY inhalers over the counter as they Are Prescription Only Medicines..
Best way get a script from doctor - if in hurry ur regular pharmacist MAY accept a fax of Script from doctor with promise to send in post within 24 hours. Random Pharmacist may not accept the above.
If in Oz, dont know exact system but u can have a consutation with Pharmacis to get Reliever ONLY ( salbutamol ONLY) not preventer ( u have to be registered in Oz though i think)

hope this helps...
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, didn't make it clear that I was talking about inhalers in Aus.

Just had an email from a friend who told me she pays over $50 for two inhalers. Seems a bit steep to me when I can get a salbutomol and a becatide inhaler for a prescription charge
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi H

I'm going to stock up on a few before i go. Its also on a repeat prescription so i can send the in laws along for new supplies before they come over

H
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:13 pm
Paul Wakeford

Default Re: Wheezing!

In article <[email protected]>,
member9600@british_expats.com (suffolkdiva) wrote:

>
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    >
    >
    > Sorry, didn't make it clear that I was talking about inhalers in Aus.
    >
    >
    >
    > Just had an email from a friend who told me she pays over $50 for two
    > inhalers. Seems a bit steep to me when I can get a salbutomol and a
    > becatide inhaler for a prescription charge
    >
    >
    > --
    > suffolkdiva
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >

I got two blue inhalers over the counter for (I think) $8 each.

Paul

Paul