Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wheelers Hill, Vermont South and Glen Waverley

Wheelers Hill, Vermont South and Glen Waverley

Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:21 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Question Wheelers Hill, Vermont South and Glen Waverley

Hi all,
Just trying to help my brother out really. Him and his family have just moved to Melbourne from the Gold Coast. Their 2 eldest children have started at Livingstone Primary in Vermont South and they are staying in a holiday let nearby.
They have looked at a few houses with no luck so far, and will go to some of the forthcoming auctions.
In the meantime can any of you living nearby suggest other areas they can look at that is within easy driving distance of Livingstone Primary?
They have a budget of around $600K.

Thanks,
Julie. x
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:18 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Wheelers Hill, Vermont South and Glen Waverley

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Hi all,
Just trying to help my brother out really. Him and his family have just moved to Melbourne from the Gold Coast. Their 2 eldest children have started at Livingstone Primary in Vermont South and they are staying in a holiday let nearby.
They have looked at a few houses with no luck so far, and will go to some of the forthcoming auctions.
In the meantime can any of you living nearby suggest other areas they can look at that is within easy driving distance of Livingstone Primary?
They have a budget of around $600K.

Thanks,
Julie. x
Don't know about Wheelers Hill, but Vermont South and Mt Waverley are nice suburbs. Vermont South in particular has some great public parks nearby, and is close to a nature reserve.

Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wheelers Hill, Vermont South and Glen Waverley

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Vermont South in particular has some great public parks nearby, and is close to a nature reserve.
Isn't it also home to a 'street' that is very well known in the UK??
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:09 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that I have visited that "street"

Vash, thanks for that. Will get them to try Mt Waverley too.

Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:39 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Hello stranger - how's life treating you?

Margaret3 lives in Glen Waverley so she might be able to help with that one.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Wheelers Hill is a nice suburb and has some very pricey homes. Glen Waverley I am not so keen on used to be a nice suburb. Has a good train line though. Mount Waverley is nice as well.

Have a look at the council web site for the City of Monash and it will give you suburbs around Mount Waverley

Not far from Chadstone Shopping Centre.

Vermont is in the City of Whitehorse so do likewise for this suburb.

All the eastern suburbs are nice and very popular places to live.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Glen Waverley is very popular because of:

a. the train line; and
b. Glen Waverley Secondary College.

The school is seen as one of the highest achieving public schools. Positions in the school can only be guaranteed if you reside in the catchment area. This significantly lifts the price of local housing.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I think there must be good and bad areas in Glen Waverley. We lived there 30 years ago across the road from Brentwood Primary and High Schools and it was a smart, but affordable, suburb. However, I went to my old address on Google streets and it looks like a dump now, and all the houses around it.

It's affordable and midway between bush, hillls and beach but not close to anything and fairly ordinary if you ask me.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I too remember it thirty years ago and it was a very nice suburb but as is the case with Mulgrave, Springvale, Glen Waverley the original people have moved on to other suburbs and of course these suburbs are very popular with migrants from all over.

I believe that children who are bright and interested and want to achieve will do wherever they are educated so a school would not make us live in a zone that we did not like.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I think there must be good and bad areas in Glen Waverley. We lived there 30 years ago across the road from Brentwood Primary and High Schools and it was a smart, but affordable, suburb. However, I went to my old address on Google streets and it looks like a dump now, and all the houses around it.

It's affordable and midway between bush, hillls and beach but not close to anything and fairly ordinary if you ask me.
Not so much 'good and bad as, old and new/renovated....it was 30yrs ago!!! Some areas have aged, as they do. Much is also being renewed.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:35 pm
Chocoholic

Thanks for all the replies guys. Will pass the info on to my brother.

Herchook, Hi how are you doing? I'm fine. Popped over to see my brother and his family in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago before they moved down to Melbourne. Felt good to be back and made me realise that I've missed the place But my life has changed completely here so I'm not sure that I going to get back over there to live although I still have time on my visa so who knows.

Julie. x