Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with this country?

What's wrong with this country?

Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with this country?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Obviously they weren't not talking about the Judge that we have in Qld, that on Monday gave a teacher who had a relationship with a 14 yo pupil, a suspended sentence- good behaviour bond and let him go free, or the rapist brothers in Sydney that had their sentences reduced because on appeal it was decided that they were too long( or maybe because they were Lebanese)?

Best one this week, jihad jack (aussie terrorist) was given a good behaviour bond saying dont contact Osama Bin Laden. WTF. like hellooooo if somebody had osamas phone number please tell news of the world

Even the news reporters were having a laugh about it, good to see we take it seriously
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Best one this week, jihad jack (aussie terrorist) was given a good behaviour bond saying dont contact Osama Bin Laden. WTF. like hellooooo if somebody had osamas phone number please tell news of the world

Even the news reporters were having a laugh about it, good to see we take it seriously

I peed myself laughing when that came on the news.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:55 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Found not guilty on appeal. Something to do with the way in which the confession was obtained.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:59 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc

Hopefully the severe sentences meted out to the perpetrators will stop most people thinking it would be a smart idea to try it.
If it was the one with the two ethnic-Lebanese brothers, they thought it was their god-given right and encouraged others of their ethnic background to do it as well. Then some dogooder Appeals Court judge said that the sentences were too harsh and reduced them.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
If it was the one with the two ethnic-Lebanese brothers, they thought it was their god-given right and encouraged others of their ethnic background to do it as well. Then some dogooder Appeals Court judge said that the sentences were too harsh and reduced them.
Yes, he was originally sentenced to 55 years but it's now been reduced to
31 years. 31 years is still a good long time. It would be brave person who'd allow him out any earlier - on parole say - the public won't forget a crime like that.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

May I just add that when they say in the paper or on the news that " someone has been bashed", maybe they think that if they say bashed we won't have the idea that what they are actually saying is " someone has had 2 barrels of S**t knocked out of them".

Bashed - Thats a playground word.

Whisky :scared:
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whisky
May I just add that when they say in the paper or on the news that " someone has been bashed", maybe they think that if they say bashed we won't have the idea that what they are actually saying is " someone has had 2 barrels of S**t knocked out of them".

Bashed - Thats a playground word.

Whisky :scared:
Just because the UK has trivialised the word doesn't mean everyone else has to. In Australia the word bashed means a serious asault.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it is everywhere and nowhere is utopia, even little old Cairns has had its fair share of crime sprees in the city of late - 'bashings' etc etc.

As many others have already mentioned, the best plan of attack is not to build Australia up into some mythical dream land, where you expect only the good things to happen.

Sh*t happens everywhere.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

The flip side of this media coverage is that it might make people more aware of violent crime, particularly those against women.

Social attitude contributes to the pitiful amount of rape cases that actually end in successful prosecution..... so maybe that's a faint silver lining to the media's crime coverage.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

tibidabo will become famous soon enough

Thanks for al the replies! I feel a little better now.
I forgot to mentioned that I'd made a little research about rape rates and it was pretty disappointing.
According to several studies an Australian women has about 45% chance of being sexually assaulted. It includes cases when the partner or former partners were the aggressors ( about 2/3)
But it's still a pretty high number.
The numbers are similar in the US, but I also read that the rates about 7x higher then in Germany.

I was shocked because I heard/ read too many in too short period of time.
And one of my good friend told me that she'd almost been raped once in her friend's house by a guy whom nobody knew. She reacted very aggressively and that was reason she got away
She went to court and the guy had to make lots of mistakes to get finally registered (not even sentenced)
The sad thing is almost everybody told her it was no use, but I very proud of her. Probably she saved a couple of girls.

On the other hand I am starting to realize that the government actually is trying to improve this by targeted campaign violence against women. That's a good thing...
And maybe the high media coverage is one part of the process.

I used to think that only just a couple of jerks can ruin a woman's life for a couple of minutes joy. But after reading what happened in Darling Harbor I am not sure anymore.

5 guys from the same trade class thought it was totally appropriate to gang-rape a girl for an hour. One of them had 2 kids already and his de-facto was expecting an other one. And she was even protecting him!!??
A 90 year old woman was also raped? He must have been really desperate.

Crazy world..
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tibidabo
Thanks for al the replies! I feel a little better now.
I forgot to mentioned that I'd made a little research about rape rates and it was pretty disappointing.
According to several studies an Australian women has about 45% chance of being sexually assaulted. It includes cases when the partner or former partners were the aggressors ( about 2/3)
I think you will find that the actual figures are approximately 45% of ALL rape cases are perpetrated by domestic relations, 45% by people unknown and approximately 10% from both groups.

Yes we do have a high rape rate in this country and I personally think it is one of the worst crimes that can be committed. But like other posters have said, every country has their different crime problems. In fact, u may be interested to know that according to the Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000, more murders are committed in Hungary than in Australia. So whats wrong with Hungary ?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Australia 7 months ago from Hungary. At the beginning I was pretty happy with my decision, but recently I am getting more worried about things what are happening here. Maybe I lived in dreamworld and I just was too naive,
Are you sure you're Sydney? Dreamworld is on the Gold Coast!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Crazy world..
Now, you're not wrong there.

Perhaps the title of the post should read 'What's wrong with the Human Race?' rather than any particular country.

Last edited by Craig822; Aug 31st 2006 at 12:37 pm.