Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the worse thing about living in australia

whats the worse thing about living in australia

Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the worse thing about living in australia

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's called patriotism. I find it kind of nice that the Australians are proud of their country.
Sometimes...and only sometimes....it's more blind nationalism than patriotism.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

The way they bang on about “mateship” as if Australians are the only people in the world who have friends.

There seems to be a cult here where all lot of very moronic things are celebrated - noisy cars, horrible ugly tattoos, the sport of AFL and the brainless idiots who play it.

Ridiculous sentimentality – whenever some hoon meets his maker in an entirely appropriate & Darwin Awardesque end – ie crashing his car while drunk into a power pole, cue all these people saying “he was a great mate…doting son…etc” when in reality the roads are now a much safer place now another of these idiots is off the road permanently.

The ute – like an over powered transit van with the back removed – why on earth do people think it is “cool” to have a basic work vehicle with a stupidly over powered engine. And which they are utterly hopeless at driving.

In Victoria – John Brumby and the labour party. These clowns have me seriously worried for the fate of Melbourne as they either do nothing at all or the wrong thing as regards building regs/water supply etc.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:10 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sometimes...and only sometimes....it's more blind nationalism than patriotism.
And that small section is no worse here. when I think of some of my fellow Scots back in the UK........... well, let's not go there
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
And that small section is no worse here. when I think of some of my fellow Scots back in the UK........... well, let's not go there
I think it is worse in Aus.

I'm Scottish too....and I know we think we're pretty special sometimes (wha's like us?), but I think in general Scots are a lot less likely to turn on someone for suggesting that Scotland isn't the be all and end all. Unless of course they're English.......oh hold on!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:16 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

It's called patriotism. I find it kind of nice that the Australians are proud of their country.

While it's true that a lot of them have not been out of the country and still go on about how great it is here, a lot of British have never left UK and moan about how shit it is compared to Australia. How is that different?
Originally Posted by Sammy T

That is SO true, we hear constantly about how fab it all is but many people here haven't even been to the North of Tas, let alone the big island and heven forbid out of Oz territories!! But then again, a lot of people in the UK constantly moan about how awful it is, country going to the dogs etc etc so perhaps it is actually quite nice to have a positive opinion about your home.

Sam
isnt that what she said

seeing as you have neither lived in the UK nor Tasmania you really havent got a clue what we are talking about.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:19 am
Account Closed

I think it is worse in Aus.

I'm Scottish too....and I know we think we're pretty special sometimes (wha's like us?), but I think in general Scots are a lot less likely to turn on someone for suggesting that Scotland isn't the be all and end all. Unless of course they're English.......oh hold on!
A huge amount we base our opinions on is related to personal experiences and I have witnessed none of this here. I did however see a lot of it along with outright racism in Scotland.
To balance, I was in the UK 40 years and here 2 years, so .... I will monitor the situation
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by kporte
A huge amount we base our opinions on is related to personal experiences and I have witnessed none of this here. I did however see a lot of it along with outright racism in Scotland.
To balance, I was in the UK 40 years and here 2 years, so .... I will monitor the situation
That does surprise me......clearly it is down to whose path you cross.....but I have met so many more people here (in Brisbane) who are prepared, within 5 minutes of meeting you to give you a tirade of their racist opinions. They may not be directed at me, but racist againt great swathes of people nonetheless. Actually, to be fair, a lot like the people I encountered when I worked in Devon for 9 months.....very similar views.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:29 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with everything people say here - every single word.

and I still love it

Australia is like that old grannie in the corner at christmas who breaks wind all through the main course. Amuses me no end
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:34 am
Account Closed

That does surprise me......clearly it is down to whose path you cross.....but I have met so many more people here (in Brisbane) who are prepared, within 5 minutes of meeting you to give you a tirade of their racist opinions. They may not be directed at me, but racist againt great swathes of people nonetheless. Actually, to be fair, a lot like the people I encountered when I worked in Devon for 9 months.....very similar views.
I have encountered a bit of what you might want to call ignorance, but I saw this even from my parents back home. Some slightly Un PC phrases which I didn't really like. Also things like thinking everyone in Scotland stays indoors all year because of the cold etc
Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You know what I love about threads like these? The huge, massive generalisations that appear. Makes me laugh so loud. Cheers me up no end So thanks nearly everyone.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
isnt that what she said

seeing as you have neither lived in the UK nor Tasmania you really havent got a clue what we are talking about.
Yes, it is what she said. I was agreeing with her. Holy crap! Shot down for agreeing and shot down for disagreeing.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is what she said. I was agreeing with her. Holy crap! Shot down for agreeing and shot down for disagreeing.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you just can't win. When that happens, be satisfied that you're irritating double the amount of people than you normally would
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:12 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I can picture one of those examples right now, on the way to Noosa from SC Motorway if I remember correctly; very dangerous.

Originally Posted by viviennef
junctions that work so you come off a slip road as other people come on the road from the same sliproad - if you live on the SCoast you will know what I mean!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You know what I love about threads like these? The huge, massive generalisations that appear. Makes me laugh so loud. Cheers me up no end So thanks nearly everyone.
You're quite right, we are making rather sweeping generalisations, but it is very funny to hear other people's little gripes with the country, especially when they echo your own

Sam
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sometimes, just sometimes, you just can't win. When that happens, be satisfied that you're irritating double the amount of people than you normally would
I aim to please...Or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.