Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the worse thing about living in australia

whats the worse thing about living in australia

Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the worse thing about living in australia

Originally Posted by jayr
As I understand it Austrlaia has some of the longest dormant land mass on the planet and has been "stable" for over 300 million years. It has also been inhabited for some 60,000 years. How "old" did you want?
Yea, but it's not a castle is it? I mean, who gives a rats arse that there was a society living here, in peace with the land, for well over 30,000 years? You'd have thought that at some point during those millenia, they could have knocked up the odd castle or circle of standing stones. Maybe if the Romans had invaded Oz there'd have been more 'old' stuff knocking about.

Originally Posted by camponotus
Bloody expats banging on about how wonderful Australia is and how they hope never to set foot in the UK again. That's the worse thing here. That and the Aussies who think they're in the 'best country in the world'.
What does your Australian wife think? And how does she feel about the extreme way you view the country of her birth and the people who live here, be they born abroad or in-country?

Originally Posted by pacey
None of the rolling hills and fields of crop with little villages with pubs and beer gardens and people walking their dogs, cows looking daft stood at a gate, canals with fishermen, church spires sticking up, and beautiful architecture from hundreds of years of development (think Bath etc). IE: the nice bits of england.
So. To recap. The 'worst' thing about Australia, is that it's not England. Was this not pointed out to you during the visa process? And if not, was it a shock when you landed at Kingsford Smith airport and realised you were in Sydney and not Chipping Norton?

Originally Posted by mohogony
Your right there are plenty of places in OZ with green countryside and rolling hills with cows , especially in country areas along the coast, l live in a place like that.
And so do I.

Photo taken just up the road from here ...

Green grass? Check. Rolling hills? Check. Moo-cow? Check.

Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Reevezie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, but it's not a castle is it? I mean, who gives a rats arse that there was a society living here, in peace with the land, for well over 30,000 years? You'd have thought that at some point during those millenia, they could have knocked up the odd castle or circle of standing stones. Maybe if the Romans had invaded Oz there'd have been more 'old' stuff knocking about.

What does your Australian wife think? And how does she feel about the extreme way you view the country of her birth and the people who live here, be they born abroad or in-country?

So. To recap. The 'worst' thing about Australia, is that it's not England. Was this not pointed out to you during the visa process? And if not, was it a shock when you landed at Kingsford Smith airport and realised you were in Sydney and not Chipping Norton?

And so do I.

Photo taken just up the road from here ...

http://www.figlea.com/resources/Fat+cow+2.JPG

Green grass? Check. Rolling hills? Check. Moo-cow? Check.

LOVE IT!!! ..........lol..........
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:38 am
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
coming from someone whose every post on this site is almost exactly the same regurgitated bile, painfully predictable is exactly how I would describe your offerings
What a coincidence. I had you in mind when I wrote that as it is exactly the kind of response you (and others, of course) normallly love to give. In fact, in a way, Hutch just did.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:57 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by camponotus
What a coincidence. I had you in mind when I wrote that as it is exactly the kind of response you (and others, of course) normallly love to give. In fact, in a way, Hutch just did.
Problem is I don't fit in one of your little compartments as I love the UK as well
You might have to give that some thought before making posts, because your bitterness sings through every letter and makes you seem a little....on edge shall we say. Not everything is someone elses fault.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, that's about spot on. I think I'm allowed to say I miss those things (and I mean all of them in combination, not just "a cow" or "a field".) Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the city life. I'd say the same if I were living in London, or New York, or any large city. But to clear things up, I said the worst thing was that my most important friendships aren't here with me to enjoy what I am enjoying. The other things are ancilliary and could apply to anywhere. Wasn't I clear enough it was my opinion and what I miss, rather than an actual statement of fact that "x is the worst thing about australia". That would be ludicrous.

We could have the same thread saying "what is the best thing", and I'd happily mention the weekends by the beach that feel like little holidays, the access to many varied leisure activities (and the propensity of people to get involved in them), the "can do" feeling, or any of the other things that made me decide to move here. Doesn't mean anyone has to agree.

Nothing in life is all rainbows and free pic-n-mix (except when woolies went into administration), so we're allowed to say a few things are a bit rubbish, or that it'd be nice if this or that was part of the mix.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:22 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

AFL
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:34 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacey
Yeah, that's about spot on. I think I'm allowed to say I miss those things (and I mean all of them in combination, not just "a cow" or "a field".) Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the city life. I'd say the same if I were living in London, or New York, or any large city. But to clear things up, I said the worst thing was that my most important friendships aren't here with me to enjoy what I am enjoying. The other things are ancilliary and could apply to anywhere. Wasn't I clear enough it was my opinion and what I miss, rather than an actual statement of fact that "x is the worst thing about australia". That would be ludicrous.

We could have the same thread saying "what is the best thing", and I'd happily mention the weekends by the beach that feel like little holidays, the access to many varied leisure activities (and the propensity of people to get involved in them), the "can do" feeling, or any of the other things that made me decide to move here. Doesn't mean anyone has to agree.

Nothing in life is all rainbows and free pic-n-mix (except when woolies went into administration), so we're allowed to say a few things are a bit rubbish, or that it'd be nice if this or that was part of the mix.
So what i glean from your post, is you miss your special friends, ...?

So if you went camping here with friends, You woke up in the morning with $50 dollars in your hand , and a sore arse .......my question is would you tell any one ????

If your ansewer is NO ................Do you want to go camping next week end.........mm Aussie humour
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, a very witty and caustic retort but who do you have to share it with in Australia? I find my humour whizzes over the heads of the average Aussie like concorde!!

However, I find the Aussies with British born partners/children/nannas etc are usually the ones that feel entitled to give you a barrage of anti British sentiment.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

sorry but I jusy read the thread worst thing about being in oz is theres no work about
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing about living in Australia is.....being expected to LOVE it or leave it......F***ing hell, I bet the convicts wish they had that option.....
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
The worst thing about living in Australia is.....being expected to LOVE it or leave it......F***ing hell, I bet the convicts wish they had that option.....
the worst part of Australia is the bloody whinging European's, including the poms, who come here and continually whinge and refuse to adapt to their new environment or crap on about how bad the insects are....

jesus, if only a few spiders were the biggest concern in life...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by phat-dave
the worst part of Australia is the bloody whinging European's, including the poms, who come here and continually whinge and refuse to adapt to their new environment or crap on about how bad the insects are....

Hey have you ever had a harry(the huntsman) 2 inches from your head if no then you wouldnt be posting this
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshinesammie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phat-dave

you said it in one, my sentiments entirely. Living in Karratha, Woolworths and Coles cater for all needs, yes the poms and the asians are continuously whinging, if its not about the amenities then its the health system.... I suggest before they come here they remember they are in a host country, it was their decision to come here, remember their manners, and if they dont like it then b****r off back to europe or india coz they are off no benefit to this island!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:50 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshinesammie
you said it in one, my sentiments entirely. Living in Karratha, Woolworths and Coles cater for all needs, yes the poms and the asians are continuously whinging, if its not about the amenities then its the health system.... I suggest before they come here they remember they are in a host country, it was their decision to come here, remember their manners, and if they dont like it then b****r off back to europe or india coz they are off no benefit to this island!
OK. Couple of things. Firstly, I sure as shit don't fall into the 'whinging' category - I know you're a noob on these forums, just read a bit of my posting history if you don't believe me.

That said
1) People venting on here does not constitute 'continuously whinging'. Writing the occasional post on here that you miss your mates, Tescos and Imperial Leather Foamburst (in that order) does not consititue whinging. There are a couple of exceptions to the rule, but most people do the odd vent and then get on with life.
2) Australians can, without doubt, hold their heads up high as Premier League whinge-bags - and I say that as someone who's lived in France!!!! Spend more than five minutes with your average Aussie and they'll soon be off on one about Rudd, the banks or the cricket or whatever little curve ball life's thrown 'em that minute.
3) Just because you've chosen to emigrate somewhere does not mean you are barred from voicing any discontent about life in your foster country.
4) Referring to myriad nationalities as 'the asians' makes you sound like a thick as pig-shit racist.
5) Why the **** should we mind our manners, when you don't mind yours?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch:I agree with you actually.I have alot of aussie mates and yes they do whinge an awful lot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.