Reload this Page >

whats the worse thing about living in australia

whats the worse thing about living in australia

Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:39 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: whats the worse thing about living in australia

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Re aussies being so patriotic?I'd call it insecurity!Martin Luther:Yes maybe I do on on about how fab the Uk is,(on this forum anyway)but I have travelled alot,lived alot of places in Oz and the UK so can look at places objectively,I was making a point that most aussies are OTT patriotic and don't know any better.Before you decide to reply,I will point out I have kids who are aussies!
In my experience I don't meet that many OTT patriotic Aussies. It's certainly no more than the number of OTT patriotic English I met in England or the number of OTT patriotic Welshmen I met in Wales, etc... I'm not sure why people need to label Aussies for doing the same thing every other nationality does?

I too have traveled a lot. I've also lived long term in 2 foreign countries and short term in a few more; so I too can look at things objectively.

I've got one Aussie born kid and three Brit born kids. And guess what? I see no difference between then
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:42 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sheesh......this is how it works Moneypen.....people have experiences, those experiences lead them to form opinions, those opinions likely differ from someone elses, but are valid nonetheless. You do not have to have a 100% sample size before you form an opinion.....or even a 51% sample size.

If that was the case.....even trotting out, '....it's just different' ad nauseum wouldn't be allowed.

If someone says something and doesn't explicitely say, 'it's a well known fact', or 'it's universally accepted' then take it for granted that that is their opinion.
I find that most people form opinions first and then select any experience that reinforces that opinion whilst ignoring anything that runs counter to it. After that they get the Dymo out.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:11 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Being asked "owsyadaygoin?" when its only 9.00am

Bad drivers and really bad cars, that should be in the scrap heap not still being driven around.

Being ignored as a woman when you ring up tradesmen, they just can't accept that I'm the one ordering the work.

The decision not to give mothers paid maternity leave, when Kevin can easily dish out $900 here, there and everywhere (and my kids are older and I'm not having any more, I just think it's so backward compared to the UK)

Some nutcase from Qld who wants to get back into politics - seriously scary!

No bloody double glazing

Lack of insight into the huge water issue - put everyone on meters, that would stop the buggers watering their little patches of green lawn all night long (most of it just pouring down the road)

Poor use of solar energy, in a country that has plenty of opportunity to tap into it.

Bloody awful local, homemade adverts which pop up every 5 mins, on the rare occasion I want to watch TV

OMG, what am I doing here, let me out

Sam
Ooh had forgotten about the tradies not accepting my opinion becuase I am a woman. Once I called a man to install a TV antennae, I let him in, told him what I wanted, paid him, was the only person home all day....and he made the reciept in my husbands name!

You've got to love a challenge though, I always make these sort of people shake my hand which freaks them out a little. And the younger tradies don't seem to be the same, I found it to be a generation thing.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:14 am
Just Joined

pommypoofta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Australian rules football

I toatally agreee with u!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:16 am
Just Joined

pommypoofta is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably tht the shops dont open on sundays and i find it hard to find things to do!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sheesh......this is how it works Moneypen.....people have experiences, those experiences lead them to form opinions, those opinions likely differ from someone elses, but are valid nonetheless. You do not have to have a 100% sample size before you form an opinion.....or even a 51% sample size.

If that was the case.....even trotting out, '....it's just different' ad nauseum wouldn't be allowed.

If someone says something and doesn't explicitely say, 'it's a well known fact', or 'it's universally accepted' then take it for granted that that is their opinion.
Sincere apologies for having an opinion that's at odds with someone elses and daring to voice it. I am quite well aware of how it all works thanks but when someone says "I was making a point that most aussies" to my mind they were going further than the usual mass generalisation thing. If you don't like me to make a reply to someone, don't read it. If everyone accepted everything someone said there would be no forum, no discussion, no nothing. I don't take anything for granted and never would. Sheesh.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:39 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sincere apologies for having an opinion that's at odds with someone elses and daring to voice it. I am quite well aware of how it all works thanks but when someone says "I was making a point that most aussies" to my mind they were going further than the usual mass generalisation thing. If you don't like me to make a reply to someone, don't read it. If everyone accepted everything someone said there would be no forum, no discussion, no nothing. I don't take anything for granted and never would. Sheesh.
Sheesh! I agree. the phrase "most Aussies" renders the opinion useless.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Too many jocks and taffs over here for my liking.

Only joking (well sort of)
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:47 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jond
Too many jocks and taffs over here for my likin

Only joking (well sort of)
Up yer kilt! No such thing as too many Jocks.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Up yer kilt! No such thing as too many Jocks.

Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Also we were told that australia people r so friendly (not all of them) thats def wrong (watch the posts i get for this lol)[/QUOTE]

I find Australian women to be the unfriendliest I've ever had the misfortune to meet.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's called patriotism. I find it kind of nice that the Australians are proud of their country.

While it's true that a lot of them have not been out of the country and still go on about how great it is here, a lot of British have never left UK and moan about how shit it is compared to Australia. How is that different?
This is so true. Since i have been back in UK all i get asked is why we came back to this shitty country. I ask them if they have ever lived anywhere but UK..they reply 'no'.
I then ask them how they can judge, they have no reply to that and look very embarrassed.
There are so many differences about living in a different country, all of which will be personnal preferences, for us UK is home!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
Also we were told that australia people r so friendly (not all of them) thats def wrong (watch the posts i get for this lol)

I find Australian women to be the unfriendliest I've ever had the misfortune to meet. [/QUOTE]
you must be in the wrong city then. Try Perth, the women are very friendly....but then I'm a gorgeous bloke !!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
Also we were told that australia people r so friendly (not all of them) thats def wrong (watch the posts i get for this lol)

I find Australian women to be the unfriendliest I've ever had the misfortune to meet. [/QUOTE]

I think that they are very friendly in the cities and bigger towns, but are downright unfriendly in the rural areas.

And before anybody jumps down my throat I was discussing this exact thing this morning with an aussie workmate and he agreed with me 100%
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
I find Australian women to be the unfriendliest I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

I think that they are very friendly in the cities and bigger towns, but are downright unfriendly in the rural areas.

And before anybody jumps down my throat I was discussing this exact thing this morning with an aussie workmate and he agreed with me 100%[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the male/aussie female dynamic is different. My accent is certainly popular with the Aussie male but an annoyance to the women.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.