Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's Wellington Like?

What's Wellington Like?

Old Mar 27th 2003, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough
Default What's Wellington Like?

Now that Nelson seems to be a no go in South Island and don't like Auckland and have reservations about employment in Christchurch am turning my beedy eyes on alternative options. Few threads on Wellington. What is it like? Our needs are for a compact city with a night life (restaurants and pubs, not clubs), and easy access to the outdoors (mountains and sea). Quality of housing, expense, sea views etc.

Sorry! Any other ideas?

Roger
Old Mar 27th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

try soc.culture.new-zealand

loads form wellington there..

cheers

richard
Old Mar 27th 2003, 4:10 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's Wellington Like?

Originally posted by Roger
Now that Nelson seems to be a no go in South Island and don't like Auckland and have reservations about employment in Christchurch am turning my beedy eyes on alternative options. Few threads on Wellington. What is it like? Our needs are for a compact city with a night life (restaurants and pubs, not clubs), and easy access to the outdoors (mountains and sea). Quality of housing, expense, sea views etc.

Sorry! Any other ideas?

Roger
Whats wrong with Nelson?, far nicer than Wellington, well I though so anyway!Beaches, mountains in the distance, sea views, Abel Tasman National Park on your doorstep!

Have you ever tried crossing the road in Wellington? the pedestrian lights take ages!!! If your'e walking, give yourself plenty of time!& it's a tad on the windy side!
But it is a nice city, good bars etc. Te papa museum is excellent.

But it's the city across the straight for me!

Good luck Roger.
Old Mar 27th 2003, 4:11 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Sorry that should have been STRAIT!! see above.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep there's been a few threads about wellington a while back.

You mentioned you want a compact city. Well wgtn is as compact as you can get. everything is within walking distance. nightlife is good. has heaps of pubs, nightclubs, a large range of restaurants, 4 theatres, orchestra, the list goes on.

Easy access to outdoors? this is a breeze (literally! ) from the rimutaka mountain-range, vineyards in martinborough, seal colony, animal reserves etc. there are also heaps of scenic walks amongst the city and nearby suburbs.

Sea views? As it's surrounded by hills, there are some stunning sea views around wgtn. Brooklyn, Broadmeadows, Wadestown, Mt Vic, Oriental Bay houses often have picture postcard views.

I had a chuckle with Alan's comments about pedestrian lights. It is very true! but the locals don't wait for them to go green......just wait for a gap in the traffic & bob's your aunty.

wgtn has developed into a fun party city as well. with the rugby sevens, dragon boating, international festival of the arts, comedy and jazz festivals, there's always some fun on the horizon.

Nelson is nice but you said you wanted nightlife and it's pretty limited there.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Wellington sounds nice. We loved Nelson (very med in feel) though a bit isolated. Offered a job but they wanted me to start immediately - though had earlier informally said that a later start would be no problem. Bloomin' shame we didn't visit Wellington in Feb.

Anyone know about the hospital, particularly Emergency?